New here and to HST; a few questions

Rock4832

Hey everyone, obviously I'm new here and too HST. I plan to start tomorrow but first I have a few questions that have probably been answered elsewhere, buy my computer is going extremely slow through this site so I thought I'd just post my questions.

1- How do you find your maxes? Is a week set aside for that and you just play around ( 1 day for 15, 1 day for 10 and 1 day for 5), or is there another way?

2- How do you increase weight on say DB Curls. Doesn't make much sense to raise 10lbs each w/o for a total of 6 w/o's obviously so what is the best way to increase the smaller poundage exercises?

3- Even when in the beginning of a cycle or week, are we supposed to be failing or coming close to failure in the exercises? Or does that only come in the 6th w/o? Not sure if we are playing with intensity levels or not.

That's about all I have for now, I really appreciate any feedback :) Thanks

Hi Rock. Welcome to the world of HST. As to your questions:

1. Most normallt do it just as you described. Then take a week of SD.

2. On low weight isolation type movements, we typically start with about 50 to 60% of the target rep's max. For instance iof the 15 rep max is 20 pounds, we would start at 10 pounds and perhaps go 12.5, 15, 15, 17.5, 20. If you are limited to 5 pound increments you might choose to go 10, 10, 15, 15, 20, 20.

3. We only workout at our maximum weight on the last workout of that rep range, The other workouts use less weight to work up to that maximum doable weight.

Good luck.
thumbs-up.gif

Back