Olive Oil for calories

Canuck

I read a while back that if you're having trouble getting sufficient calories you can just add a few tablespoons of olive oil per day to your diet. Has anyone tried this? Will I end up getting too much fat? How can I implement it (i.e. make it taste good). Thanks.

Olive oil is absolutely a good addition to any diet. But don't confuse it's usefullness with a mis-application. It should be used to SUPPLEMENT your intake of fat calories. If you use it on top of the 30% calories you are already injesting from fat, this could lead to weight gain.

I figured I would just figure out a good amount to eat in order to gain weight, but not too much fat.

What do you guys eat your olive oil with?

I tried it by the spoonful and almost puked. Will it go in anything else easily besides salad or anything that has to be cooked?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EctoSquat @ Aug. 30 2004,12:55)]What do you guys eat your olive oil with?
I tried it by the spoonful and almost puked. Will it go in anything else easily besides salad or anything that has to be cooked?
I will sometimes mix it in with tuna and such, but usually I just shoot it down. Just hold your breath and swigg it down and immediately chase it with a glass of water. I can't even taste it anymore.

Flaxseed oil doesn't taste any better or maybe just slightly, but flaxseed oil does have a better Omega profile and is just as calorie dense. 2 Tbsp-240 Calories or 40 per teaspoonful.

you could also use fishoil supplements such as the "super epa" tablets - they are cheap and have a really good ratio to get essential fats, the only drawback is that you have to swallow many pills if you want to get more than 5g....

I just dump olive oil on everything. If you have some bread, dump olive oil and parmasan cheese on it, cook your chicken with it and then dump whats left on the pan onto your potatoes, or vegetables or what ever. Just through a bit in with every meal you make, it will add up and you wont know it is there.

Speaking of fish oil.... Does the oil in a can of tuna have any sort of nutritional value over the average oils?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aabrechko @ Aug. 30 2004,4:04)]Speaking of fish oil.... Does the oil in a can of tuna have any sort of nutritional value over the average oils?
Nope

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EctoSquat @ Aug. 30 2004,12:55)]What do you guys eat your olive oil with?
mmmm olive oil by the spoonful... Yeah, I used to do that too. But doesn't it get old? Usually I mix it in with tuna, salmon or potato. But my favorite is to take half a can of fat free refried beans, nuke, and stir in a tablespoon of olive oil. Then add chili powder, red peper, and garlic. Sometimes that mix goes good as a sandwich . 'Course, I'm not sure how popular beans are around here.

The musical fruit
tounge.gif

Olive Oil, growing up and living in Toronto with largest Italian population of any city in the world out side of mother Italy I have enjoyed the pleasures of the Olive since child hood. Brush a little on your favourite steak, fish or chicken before grilling. However I love a little oil with some spices added to dip bread in or how about rosemary and olive oil yukon gold potatoes. As they say in the east coast of Canada " Some Good" Regards Rob.

You guys really need to learn how to cook... or find a mate who can. The thought of drinking olive oil plain makes me want to puke too, but why would you even consider it? Nearly every salad can benefit from olive oil, not to mention dipping your whole grain bread in it, with some balsamic vinegar or such.

I also add it to my protein shakes. You wont even taste it, unless you're adding large amounts.

will any olive oil do me good? is there any specific olive oil that is best for supplementing diet? or just any olive oil?
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skinnyman @ Jan. 22 2005,8:57)]will any olive oil do me good? is there any specific olive oil that is best for supplementing diet? or just any olive oil?
wow.gif
Always use extra virgin olive oil. It's the highest quality and tastes best. There are 'light' varieties that have little taste if it bothers you.

If you are of mediterranean nationality then you already know and love how to enjoy olive oil :)

Try this snack:

Toast a piece of whole grain bread, rub a piece of garlic over one side, pour some olive oil on top, place a few slices of tomatoes over that and sprinkle with salt and pepper.....oh man that's good!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ectoman @ Jan. 22 2005,10:06)]Try this snack:

Toast a piece of whole grain bread, rub a piece of garlic over one side, pour some olive oil on top, place a few slices of tomatoes over that and sprinkle with salt and pepper.....oh man that's good!
Sweet iguanas on gravy that sounds incredible...

i can't find an olive oil in our local store here. but there is thing called unrefined edible canola oil. whatever that is. is this okay? :confused:

That's weird. Almost every store around here has olive oil. It can get a little costly though, depending on brand and quality. I would ask the people at the store about it. Maybe they stuck it in the wrong aisle or something. Either that, or go to a store in the next town and buy enough that you won't have to go back for a month or so.

Buy a big jug at Costco. A serving ends up costing $.06 or something along those lines. Real cheap, lasts a long time.

You shouldn't need to use olive oil if you're getting enough calories elsewhere. If you feel you must, though, then go ahead. Just make sure you don't go crazy and lose track of just how much you're eating.

Back