peanut butter

If you have a blender, add it to your post-workout shake (assuming you use chocolate or vanilla protein powder- doesn't work well with strawberry ;) )
Jake

Do not eat jiff or any other "name brand" PB out there. Its full of hydroginated oils and Trans fats. if your going to eat peanut butter, eat an all natural peanute butter. Its much healthier for you and tastes better, IMO, too.

If you have access to Almond butter it is even better.

While we're on the subject, what about the saturated fat in peanut butter? I know we aren't supposed to be paranoid about it, but is daily consumption beyond moderation?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Aug. 25 2004,2:04)]Its full of hydroginated oils and Trans fats. .
Bwaaaaa!!!! Try about .1-.3g per serving. By USDA rationale regular PB is trans fat free. (less than .5g)

Crazy Richards Natural PB is reallllly good :)

I've heard you shouldn't consume fats or any efa's post-workout? Anyone know more about this? I'm guessing it would inhibit the absorption of the much-needed carbs.

Staxx

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cliner9er @ Aug. 25 2004,4:47)]
wow.gif
4-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Aug. 25 2004,2
wow.gif
4)]Its full of hydroginated oils and Trans fats. .
Bwaaaaa!!!! Try about .1-.3g per serving. By USDA rationale regular PB is trans fat free. (less than .5g)
WOW, I didn't know I was so funny.

If you count the fat content in peanut butter, it is about 16g fat and 2.5g sat fat. Now look in the ingredients. If you see the words (and I'll spell them out for you) H-Y-D-R-O-G-E-N-A-T-E-D, you might as well consider that entire 16g of fat SAT fat and Trans. My piont was, the shish aint good for you. Like or not, thats a fact. Hey, but to all his own. Enjoy your Jiffy.

Oh oh, wait - lol, and USDA .... They make a lot of claims which don't turn out to be true, dont they? lol ... You crazy kidder.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Aug. 25 2004,5:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cliner9er @ Aug. 25 2004,4:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrNasty @ Aug. 25 2004,2<!--emo&amp;
wow.gif
)]Its full of hydroginated oils and Trans fats. .
WOW, I didn't know I was so funny.
If you count the fat content in peanut butter, it is about 16g fat and 2.5g sat fat. Now look in the ingredients. If you see the words (and I'll spell them out for you) H-Y-D-R-O-G-E-N-A-T-E-D, you might as well consider that entire 16g of fat SAT fat and Trans. My piont was, the shish aint good for you. Like or not, thats a fact. Hey, but to all his own. Enjoy your Jiffy.
Oh oh, wait - lol, and USDA .... They make a lot of claims which don't turn out to be true, dont they? lol ... You crazy kidder.
Pity you have little understanding of food science or the underlying science the USDA has to use pep databases. Let me break this down to you in S-I-M-P-L-E terms a 2 tbsp. serving of peanut butter has 16 grams of fat so lets start eliminating the possibilities of TFA's and see what we come up with. :) .
16 g
1. For a product to be called peanut butter it must contain atleast 90% peanuts so this would lead us to a possible 1.6 g of TFA's
2. Commerical PB's have approx 2-5% sugar added for taste and consistency. So this takes care of 2.5% (I will round) so that leaves of with the possibility of 1.2g of TFA's.
3. By law a PB can only have 2% or less hydrogenated fractions in PB so this leaves us with .6 g of PB as transfat.
4. The main component of TFA's is stearic acid and is atleast 60% of TFA's. so this leaves us with a measily .2-.3g of TFA's for a full 2 tbsp serving. Most analysis see .1-.3g per serving.

There is more transfat in one commercial cracker than in an entire serving of PB. If you like natty PB go for it. To use it by saying it is loaded with TFA's is quite silly.

Back