Pendlays vs upright rows

quadancer

I've noticed some disparity in comments regarding upright rows and pendlay's - and it seems that there is some intermixing of the two. Perhaps we can get this one straight as we did with chins and pullups.
As I Understand Them;
Pendlay Row:
Upper body perpendicular to the ground, weight pulled from dead on the floor up to the stomach area. Hands slightly wider than shoulder width, feet in comfortable stance, knees inside elbows. Thickens lats, lower traps, general back.
Upright Row:
Upper body angled 30-45 degrees upward from horizontal, weight can be started from support or hung from hands, and pulled up from hang to sternum. Thickens upper back to traps. Cannot use as much weight as Pendlays.

The proper term is "Bent Over Barbell Row" not 'pendlays'.
I don't know where that name started but its stupid.

Glenn Pendlay did NOT invent the barbell rows from the floor. People have been doing those since before he was born.
mad.gif

Uh, okay. I don't know either, but it seems like some others are confused too. I just call mine Pendlay's; I'm okay with BOBBRows, and I think some guys are calling the upright rows these. Hence the reason for this thread, just to get the labels straight.

I kinda wondered how Pendlay got in it. I guess he beat Joe Weider to it.

Most articles I have read talk about Pendlay Rows when they are referring to strict rows starting from and returning to the floor each rep, with a total deload between reps. They are performed in an explosive style. This is in contrast to the typical bb row where the upper body is held at somewhere around 35-45º and the bar never returns to the floor/rack until the end of the set.

Upright rows are completely different beasties requiring an upright stance and, as Sci said, are used to hit the delts and traps.

Regardless of names, full Barbell Rows are awesome for the back, and you are one of the masters of them here at the HST forum, Quadancer.
Alot of different forms out there regarding barbell rows for bodybuilding, but I think when it comes to true strength measure, the standard should be rowing from the floor as you described.

I wouldn't use the form shown for URs on exrx. He appears to be raising the bar to chin level which I think is too high for most people if they want to be able to go heavy without any shoulder bother. Most of the top part of the movement is caused by trap contraction anyway so raising the bar to mid-chest level should be perfectly adequate for a good delt workout.

I read the link and I just don't get what the difference is.

<div>
(electric @ Apr. 18 2008,3:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I read the link and I just don't get what the difference is.</div>
&quot;What’s a Barbell Row? Pull the barbell from the floor to your chest while extending your hips. Done. Variations of the Barbell Row:

Pendlay Row. Pendlay Rows involve arching of your upper-back.
Reverse-grip Row. Using an underhand grip. Works biceps more.
The barbell starts &amp; ends on the floor on each rep, just like Deadlifts &amp; Pendlay Rows. Mark Rippetoe supports this Barbell Row technique in Starting Strength 2nd Edition. Here’s a video of the Barbell Row.&quot;

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There’s a lot of confusion about correct technique on the Pendlay Row &amp; its differences with the Barbell Row.</div> ...The point of my thread here...I guess I'm not the only one who noticed that.
Thanks Steve; good link.
I guess I need to start looking up at the end of the movement. I've been strictly head down; maybe I can beat my 315!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Pendlay Rows involve arching of your upper-back.</div>
Agree. That seems to be the only difference. It supposedly got more fiber activation shown on MRI, I've read somewhere.

Not to be over looked is the &quot;Yates row&quot; done underhand and with less torso angle. (if we're compiling row variations) and of course my personal fave the chest supported row
smile.gif

yeah, i definitely know that upright rows are when you are standing completely upright holding the bb overhand (either closer grip to emphasise traps or wider to emphasise lateral delts), and you draw the bar up then down, but PENDLAYS confuse me as well, as far as i know they are explosive BB rows

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Difference with the Barbell Row. So what’s the difference between the Barbell Row &amp; Glenn Pendlay’s variation the Pendlay Row?

* Powerful contraction of the upper-back when pulling the weight up.
* High bar speed because of the upper-back arching.
</div>

hmm ok, bb rows you should already be contracting your upper-back, and by upper back i'm assuming they mean retracting your scapulae, and you don't HAVE to have a high bar speed because of upper-back arching, so this tells me that Pendlay Rows are just explosive BB rows!

question is, being a HS forum
biggrin.gif
, which is a more effective exercise? is it the case that pendlays allow you to use more weight because you are using quick explosive bursts as opposed to slower-tension contractions, and therefore better for hypertrophy? or the opposite, that pendlays don't have as much tension on the lats as BB rows??
rock.gif

I thought BB upright rows were better for upper back; hit the traps too.
Pendlays hit lats more IMO, but not like pullups or chins.
Aw, waitaminnit; I'm repeating myself. Post #1.

My understanding of the so-called pendlay row is not so much about the arching of the upper back, but the rule about not moving your upper body at all.

Standard barbell row allows some upper body 'english', up to 15 degrees or so.

But as sci said, it is a stupid term, especially since most people use the term to simply describe a traditional barbell row, which has been around for much longer than Pendlay.

Back