Personal Training

• Thread starter imported_da1andonlychacha
  • Start date
I

imported_da1andonlychacha

To the people on here who do personal training, I'd like to talk with you. I'm thinking about taking it up as a part-time job, but I want a realistic presentation of the workload, dedication, payoff, methods, etc. involved. Thanks, guys.

There's two things that make a successful personal trainer, in my opinion. Having a great physique and enjoying the job. When you love exercise, training, hard work and discipline, and you make the sessions challenging and fun, people will love it.

With your physique, you are your own walking billboard, no one's going to pay to train with a fatso or a skinny guy. An athletic physique is more attractive to the average person than a muscle bound tank imo, because they can be a little intimidating to the avg person, and most clients are women who want to lose weight and tone up. Don't expect a lot of male clients who want to bulk. Though I have a female powerlifter as a client, she loves deadlifts and heavy bench! Very satisfying to train.

Imo having good technique and instruction is obviously benefitial, but I've seen some techniqually crap trainers (they don't know what a kinetic chain is) be really sucessful because they have a great attitude, they make the training sessions challenging and fun, and they make the person sweat.

*WARNING, CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS MAY FIND THE HUMOR IN THIS JOKE OFFENSIVE.
<div>
(Peak_Power @ Jan. 11 2007,15:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">most clients are women who want to lose weight and tone up.</div>
You'll make more money if you have a huge bulge in your spandex shorts!
laugh.gif

Ha! Ya sicko.
My wife's brother is a Gold's Gym trainer...he only had to go through the course himself (beginning to end) and take a little quiz. Then they gave him an 'instructional manual' which is mostly pictures of people exersizing you could look through in an hour, and a $20 per hour rate, but not full 40 hour weeks.
She wanted me to become a trainer just because I love BB'ing and talking about it all, so I looked into the top system here in the states, Ace. Theirs is a two year course you take before you can be called a trainer, and there are several levels. The lowest paying job is a personal trainer, next a group trainer, and I forget whatever there is up to Sports Medicinal Practitioner, for which you'll need some college. They have a chart that lists the different pay rates for different states at the different levels of trainer. Top group trainer around Georgia was about $35 an hour if you can get that. Then I checked with the local gyms and found out that they pay even less than that for their trainers, as they get a few applicants a month.
If I were to want to do it, I'd want to use my own gym here at home and train as a licensed practitioner, or contractor, if you will. Then I could charge whatever I want per person. It's not what I want to do though.

OHMIGAWD I JUST NOTICED THAT THIS IS MY THOUSANDTH POST! HOW ON EARTH DID I GET THIS FAR WITHOUT TICKING ANYBODY OFF??? HA!!!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OHMIGAWD I JUST NOTICED THAT THIS IS MY THOUSANDTH POST! HOW ON EARTH DID I GET THIS FAR WITHOUT TICKING ANYBODY OFF??? HA!!! </div>

I don't know, but judging by my rating, I must have pissed off a couple people by my 1000th post. Oh well.

Don't feel bad. I think I've done a fair share of pissing off myself... though I DID have a 5 until that &quot;Real Deal&quot; guy came by.

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Jan. 11 2007,15:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Imo having good technique and instruction is obviously benefitial, but I've seen some techniqually crap trainers (they don't know what a kinetic chain is) be really sucessful because they have a great attitude, they make the training sessions challenging and fun, and they make the person sweat.</div>
When you're in the gym all day training clients, isn't it hard to work out for yourself at the end (or even at the beginning) of the day ? As much as I like working out and talking about it, I think I'd get sick of it if I had to teach it all day.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 11 2007,16:10)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">*WARNING, CERTAIN INDIVIDUALS MAY FIND THE HUMOR IN THIS JOKE OFFENSIVE.
<div>
(Peak_Power @ Jan. 11 2007,15:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">most clients are women who want to lose weight and tone up.</div>
You'll make more money if you have a huge bulge in your spandex shorts!
laugh.gif
</div>
But I don't wear spandex.

Well, what about being a weightlifting coach at a high school or university?

I am seriously considering this myself after a few more years of the IT industry.

I looked into it briefly and I know different gyms have different requirements. To my understanding though ISSA is the most respected certification. Whether or not it's true I have no real knowledge.

Let us know how it goes in the future

good luck

ISSA web site is at ISSA

Back