Please comment on my HST workout routine

naildirt

Hi I would like the members to comment on my HST routine
My Routine
1. Weighted Push ups (I don't have a bench)
2. Weighted Pull ups (wide grip)
3. Standing Military Press
4. Barbell Row (underhand grip pulling up towards stomach)
5. Weighted Dips
6. Upright rows (wide grip)
7. Dead lifts
Some background information
I had been working out on and off for almost an year. I didn't workout for the past 6 months and thus I had lost all my gains. Because of HST, I gained some of my gains. For example my chest grew from 34 inches to 38 inches in a month and I gained 8 pounds total ( I partly attribute this to creatine and muscle memory). Now I am on my 5 rep phase. Therefore I would also like to ask one more thing from you guys:
Which excercises should I drop for my 5 rep workout since I know that I wont be able to complete these 7 exercises in 50 mins.

PS: I am 5"9 and I weigh 150 lbs.

Why bother with the pushups? You've got dips in there already. Unless you are training for something, I wouldn't bother with pushups. You are also really hammering your back. Rows and deads in the same workout is going to suck once you get a few weeks in. You already have pullups, so why not drop the rows and just do deads and pullups for back? That's plenty for the back.

Why bother with the pushups? You've got dips in there already. Unless you are training for something, I wouldn't bother with pushups. You are also really hammering your back. Rows and deads in the same workout is going to suck once you get a few weeks in. You already have pullups, so why not drop the rows and just do deads and pullups for back? That's plenty for the back.
Alright so I am gonna drop rows and weighted push ups for my 5 rep phase.
Also I was wondering isnt barbell row > pull ups since I can go more heavy on rows than pull ups? but I guess pull ups would be better since I am doing deadlifts anyway.

^^^

No, the more activation in the muscle, the better. If it was about which exercise one could use the most weight with, then the leg press would be far superior to the squat.

I like pullups because they're functional. You might be a big guy who can bench 400lb, and that's cool and all, but if you're 250lb and you can do 20 pullups, you're a boss in my book because you have the strength to not only pick something off the floor and lift it into the air, but you have the strength to do the same with yourself.

Not to mention that, from what I've heard, hanging from a pullup bar decompresses your lumbar spine and is good for the shoulder girdle. And unless you fall off the pullup bar or do some stupid **** while on it, I would imagine it's much harder to injure yourself doing those than your regular row, because the row requires lumbar control to keep your back straight throughout the movement.

The only advantage to rows would be that the posterior deltoid gets some work, and some people (G11, for example) advocate that your posterior delt gets adequate work to mitigate imbalances between the anterior and posterior of the shoulder, in part to avoid injury.

You could alternate rows/pullups if you'd like, but it's truly up to you.

Oh, and IMO, do your deadlifts first if you want to get the most out of them because your back will be fatigued from your back exercises if you do your deadlifts last.

In terms of dropping 5 reps, since your routine is all compound stuff, I'd leave the 5 reps with all the exercises you keep. Just make sure you watch your form on those upright rows when things get heavy. Don't want an impingement.

Oh, and are you not going to squat? You could always alternate the DL and Squat.

No, the more activation in the muscle, the better. If it was about which exercise one could use the most weight with, then the leg press would be far superior to the squat.
Got it!

I like your advice, I'll alternate the two exercises. Thanks dude!

I would alternate rows with deads before rows and pullups. Never do rows and deads in the same workout unless you are still relatively new to lifting. It's too much for the lower back. Unless you are going to do seated or chest supported rows, in which case it is acceptable to pair them with deads. But bentover rows and deads are a no-no.

So either alternate the rows and deads or just drop the rows completely. And I don't mean drop them when you hit the 5s, I mean don't do them at all. Rows and deads in the 15s even will be a huge pain in the ass. Well in the lower back anyway.

Sorry, should have mentioned that I was referring to bentover BARBELL rows. If you are doing DB rows then you can probably do those with deads just fine. But basically any bentover barbell row is going to really hammer the lower back, and so will deads.

Now honestly, if hypertrophy was my main goal, I would drop the bentover rows, add in squats and change deads to rack pulls. Rack pulls paired with pullups or pulldowns are the best for building a thick, wide back in my opinion.

Here are some pictures. Which part am I lagging in? I can add an isolation excercise for it. I am 150 pounds, 14% body fat. Also height is 5"9.
IMG_0704.jpgIMG_0705.jpgUntitled-22.jpgIMG_0694.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have anything lagging yet, just need to add overall mass. Can you do squats? If I were you and if you can squat, I would do this routine:

Squat
Rack Deads
Weighted Dips
Weighted Pullups
Military Press

The dips and pullups will hit your biceps and triceps enough at this point in time. If you can't squat, substitute leg press. Eat 2700-3000 calories a day, 200 grams of protein a day minimum, minimum of 300 grams of carbs on workout days then the remainder of calories from quality fats.

Thanks Totentanz for your output. I can't do squats coz I workout in my living room. I'll definitly try to increase my caloric intake. Oh btw I dropped off Barbell Row from my workout.

Back