Power Cut - Cycle #9

colby2152

Results from 8th cycle:

1/15/07: 235 @ 15.5% bodyfat
3/9/07: 231 @ 13.7% bodyfat

My 9th cycle will be 9 weeks long lasting until (yay, my graduation) in mid-May. I think I can lose 12-13 pounds by then with most of that being fat.

This cycle will be a high frequency alternating core compound workout based on Fausto's Simplify and Win thread. I want to train 3 to 6 times a week, depending on the weather (I may opt for running outside on an off day instead of lifting.)

A WARMUP:
Obliques
Incline Crunches
A WORKOUT:
Deadlift
Arnold Press
Bench Press
Rows
Calf Raises

B WARMUP:
Hyperextensions
DB Side Bends
B WORKOUT:
Squats
Clean & Press (starting off light)
Dips
Chins
Calf Raises

EDIT: Switched exercises between A and B.

Also, the warmups will be similar to an HIT workout doing 3 sets of 15, 10, and 5 reps. I want to improve my core strength by doing this. I'll also warmup with very light squats on workout A.

I will use some of the research Lyle McDonald extrapolated mentioned in my Optimizing Your Caloric Intake thread. I'll also use my Uniform Loss of Weight assumption to make things a bit more simple, and to keep my deficit on the safe side of cutting.

Under ULW, I use a goal weight of 220 with my starting bodyfat% of 14%. This gives me a BMR of 2228 calories per day using the Katch-McArdle equation at a sedentary state. Including light day-to-day activities, my BMR shoots up to about 2450 calories which is about 11 times my weight, so that's lower than bodyweight multipliers. I want to have a really good cut, so underestimations like this are needed.

As always...very organized.
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">This cycle will be a high frequency alternating core compound workout based on Fausto's Simplify and Win thread. </div>

Thanks for the leap of faith there!
biggrin.gif

And hey...starting to think of that old song...&quot;this boy's gonna make it, this boy's gonna get there!&quot;

Keep it up and good luck with graduation!
cool.gif

Colby.

Obviously the high frequency works great for you.

Thats awesome that you have shed 2 points in Bodyfat already yet only lost about 4 pounds.

Good job!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thats awesome that you have shed 2 points in Bodyfat already yet only lost about 4 pounds.</div>

Keep in mind that is just an estimate, but the mirror doesn't lie!

Okay, some notes and question about my first workout...

Notes: The workout, like every first one off an SD was amazing. The smaller amount of exercises let me do higher volume, and focus more on each exercise. I am switching the DB Side Bends with the Incline Crunches since I already have the Obliques covered in my Warmup A. Also, I have a slight strain in my left pec, but there were no problems whatsoever today.

Here is the new routine...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A WARMUP:
Obliques
Incline Crunches
A WORKOUT:
Deadlift
Arnold Press
Bench Press
Rows
Calf Raises

B WARMUP:
Hyperextensions
DB Side Bends
B WORKOUT:
Squats
Clean &amp; Press (starting off light)
Dips
Chins
Calf Raises</div>

Question: Since I count how many calories I burn everyday, how many minutes should I use for my workout: the entire workout or only when I am lifting? I have been going with the entire workout because my heart rate is up between exercises, I superset, and change the weights on the bar.

Enough for now...
cool.gif

Bump to my last question..

My Thoughts on the Clean &amp; Press
The exercise is very taxing and aerobic, not something I want from a core compound exercise at the beginning of my workout. As usual, I am changing up my routine within the 1st week...

I'd stick with it, it's a great exercise. Don't do more than 5 reps a set though, I think we already pointed out that's a recipe for disaster.

<div>
(faz @ Mar. 21 2007,10:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">use it at the end of your workout.</div>
Oh, you're talking about the calorie counting...

do the clean+press at the end just take a good break after your last exercise then go for it,because you know its the last exercise it sometimes gives you an energy boost(or kick up the arse
biggrin.gif
)

<div>
(faz @ Mar. 21 2007,13:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">do the clean+press at the end just take a good break after your last exercise then go for it,because you know its the last exercise it sometimes gives you an energy boost(or kick up the arse
biggrin.gif
)</div>
This is the same argument people have with squats and deadlifts. The one key difference is the aerobic effect of C&amp;P's, which may be the deciding factor in their placement. I definitely have to stick to lower reps than 15 though!

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Mar. 21 2007,22:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great numbers on your last cycle, Colby!</div>
Thank you... strange enough, I have put on weight since then and slimmed down. I'll wait till the end to get a true comparison of results though.

Leige and Faz, thank you for the C&amp;P input. I did 3 5 rep sets (1 warmup) at the end of my workout. It felt great and was as fun as I originally anticipated. I still don't think I am doing it right as I haven't found a direct link to how to do a C&amp;P. I am not doing the squat-jerk motion that the Clean &amp; Jerk has...

Deadlifts were a bit tough today: 15 x 200, I managed to do one set at 12 reps with the next sets at 7 and 5 reps respectively. Maybe it's the cutting that is getting to me, or the super high freqeuncy. I lifted every day this week since Monday. Hopefully the weekend will give my muscles some rest since I am only doing cardio. If not, I will have to start taking the creatine a bit early.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Maybe it's the cutting that is getting to me, or the super high freqeuncy</div>

High volume/frequency while cutting is the single hardest thing a bb'er can do. We've all been there. While cutting, strength loss is inevitable for most of us. If it happens, embrace it! It's part of the price for strutting around with a 6-pack
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">High volume/frequency while cutting is the single hardest thing a bb'er can do. We've all been there. While cutting, strength loss is inevitable for most of us. If it happens, embrace it! It's part of the price for strutting around with a 6-pack
smile.gif

</div>

I'll measure how much creatine I have left and start taking it at a point that it will run out at the end of my cycle due to lack of funds. I did spend a couple bucks today to get some lifting gloves and a new nalgene bottle. My last gloves were long and torn apart last fall. Heavy deadlifts are really starting to tear apart my hands, so the gloves are a worthy buy.

Hopefully, the weekend rest should help me out for this upcoming week. As mentioned in my deadlifts/hamstrings thread, I started my cardio today. Endurance isn't as bad as I thought it was (this is the first time I ran for longer than two minutes since my appendectomy in October). I did a few sprints which felt great. I'll do some HIIT tomorrow. Hopefully, HIIT will have a good impact on my strength in deadlifts and even squats.
laugh.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Mar. 22 2007,23:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Slapshotz @ Mar. 21 2007,22:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great numbers on your last cycle, Colby!</div>
Thank you... strange enough, I have put on weight since then and slimmed down.  I'll wait till the end to get a true comparison of results though.

Leige and Faz, thank you for the C&amp;P input.  I did 3 5 rep sets (1 warmup) at the end of my workout.  It felt great and was as fun as I originally anticipated.  I still don't think I am doing it right as I haven't found a direct link to how to do a C&amp;P.  I am not doing the squat-jerk motion that the Clean &amp; Jerk has...</div>
i do it this way but dont split my legs for the jerk,just bend my knees and push.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/CleanAndJerk.html

Strength still down in the 15's along with CNS burnout. I'm going to start drinking gatorade with creatine monohydrate very soon.

Back