Progression Help

DanishLifter

Hi guys. I'm a long time lurker in here and I could use some help to how I should plan out my progression.

I've been looking into the HST principles and I basiclly follow them with my current programming. But I've always just went to the gym with a set routine that prescribed a certain set/rep range and picked a weight I could manage (e.g. 3x10 I picked a weight I could use for 10 reps) and then note down how many reps I got for every set and progress from that.

After further research I found Dan Moore's Max-Stimulation principles and tried it out and I really liked that way of lifting. And the same goes for Myo-reps by Børge Fagerli.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is how I should plan out my progression for my new fullbody routine. I want to do a mix of Max-Stimulation training and Myo-reps.
I've looked at the way HST is progressing but I can't really understand the benefits of the use of my 15rm when I'm not really that strong yet. It seems to me that I will just be working under what I'm capable of. And to me it seems kinda wierd to have a fixed progression that is based on RM's when my strength really sucks. I know it could be a good thing so every workout is organized. But what if you have a bad day and didn't manage to get your planned reps in?

The way I thought about it was to setup a fullbody routine that is a mix of max-stim and myo reps. Go in 5-6 time a week and push for PR's but still keep the volume pretty low and manage CNS fatigue so the frequency can be kept that high. But will this be too hard for my joints when the intensity and reps aren't cycled like in HST?

I just can't seem to figure out how I should plan this out. Hope some of you guys can help :)

What exercises are you proposing and max lift for each one as this will help with set up and to see what level you are currently at

When looking at the HST weight progression i should use % based on my 15, 10 and 5 rep max. And as I understand I should do this for every exercise I choose even curls, tricep extension. I dosent maske sense to take my 15 rep max and calculate the weight I should use like HST prescribe. It will simply be too light for me and I will be working under what im capable of doing.

Im at work right now when I get back I can post my thoughts for the progression model I want to use.

When looking at the HST weight progression i should use % based on my 15, 10 and 5 rep max. And as I understand I should do this for every exercise I choose even curls, tricep extension. I dosent maske sense to take my 15 rep max and calculate the weight I should use like HST prescribe. It will simply be too light for me and I will be working under what im capable of doing.

Im at work right now when I get back I can post my thoughts for the progression model I want to use.

You are correct all exercises you use %'s of each rep max (generally this is 75, 80, 85, 90, 95 and 100%) and the lighter loads in weeks 3 and 5 can help to reduce CNS fatigue after the max loads in the previous weeks. You can also use different configurations such as 87.5, 90, 92.5, 95, 97.5 and 100% of rep max or take your max for each lift and increment backwards deducting 2.5 kgs or 5 kgs per session, so for instance if you max bench is 100 kgs for 5 reps you could start at 87.5 kgs, then 90 kgs then 92.5 kgs etc.

You mention you are going to train full body 6 days a week, is this one routine repeated every day or are you doing an A/B full body routine?

Last edited:
Yes I want to do a fullbody workout 5-6 times a week. I want to go to the gym when I have the time. Some weeks I can go maybe 6 times some weeks only 4 times etc.

As I have planned right now I only have one routine that I will be following. But I would like to add deadlift in.

Bench Press (Cluster Sets)
Barbell/Cable Rows (Cluster Sets)
Close-Grip Bench Press (Cluster Sets) / Tricep Extention (Myo-Reps)
Barbell Curls (Cluster Sets) / Barbell Preacher Curls (Myo-Reps)
Machine Shoulder Press (Cluster Sets)
(Superset with Dumbbell Laterals) (Myo-Reps)
Close Grip Pulldowns (Myo-Reps)
Leg Press (Cluster Sets)
Leg Extention (Myo-Reps)

So training this routine 4 times a week: Monday, Tuesday, Wendsday, Thursday and do some deadlifting on Friday. That will put me at 5 times a week and add an extra session in on sunday depending on if I got the time for it. So 5-6 times training each week.

Cluster sets progression:
WO1: 2 sets x (2-2-1)* cluster reps - 15 sec rest = 10 reps
WO2: 2 sets x (2-2-2)* cluster reps - 15 sec rest = 12 reps
WO3: 2 sets x (3-2-2)* cluster reps - 15 sec rest = 14 reps
WO4: 2 sets x (3-3-2)* cluster reps - 10 sec rest = 16 reps
WO5: 2 sets x (3-3-3)* cluster reps - 10 sec rest = 18 reps
WO6: 2 sets x (4-3-3)* cluster reps - 10 sec rest = 20 reps
* The dash (-) between the different reps indicates the intra-set rest in a set.
After hitting this cycle I up the weights by 5-10 lbs and start over again. This allow me to work with the same weight for some sessions but still progress volume wise. If I miss a rep for some reason I do the the same cluster reps next time untill I get the prescribed reps in.

Myo-Reps progression:
Activation set: 12-15 reps
Fatigue reps after: 15-20 reps (Sets of 5-1 reps)
For the fatigue reps I keep going untill my form and rep speed starts to go down. And once I end the exercise in the 15-20 rep range I make a small increasement in weight.

What do you think about this system? Also if I want to have a seperate day where I come in a and do some deadlifting how will you add that in?

Last edited:
For the cluster sets I could up the volume and decrease the training to only 3 times a week. But I don't really know what would be best yet. More frequent training sessions with lower volume or Less frequent (but still 3x times a week) and higher volume?

Cluster sets progression:
WO1: 2 sets x (2-2-1)* cluster reps - 15 sec rest = 10 reps
WO2: 2 sets x (2-2-2)* cluster reps - 15 sec rest = 12 reps
WO3: 2 sets x (3-2-2)* cluster reps - 15 sec rest = 14 reps
WO4: 2 sets x (3-3-2)* cluster reps - 10 sec rest = 16 reps
WO5: 2 sets x (3-3-3)* cluster reps - 10 sec rest = 18 reps
WO6: 2 sets x (4-3-3)* cluster reps - 10 sec rest = 20 reps

Are you using the same weight? and at what % of 1rm.

Looking at this it seems to be as far from HST as you can get, but I could be interpreting it wrong

Back