Real Deal

colby2152

I'd like to see you put your "money where your mouth is" and tell us about your workout, how long you've been working out, and your gains. No one will listen to or respect you if we know nothing about you while you keep on bashing everyone.

Quite agree!

Let's see what you are all about!
wink.gif

Yup yup. He keeps spouting "words" but then when anyone asks him to back up what he's saying, you never hear from him.

~sniff~ ~sniff~ I smell....~sniff~ ... bullsh*t!

Thanks for asking.

It may come as a shock to you, but I also workout about the same as you guys. I either do 3x a week wholebody, or if I split, it becomes 6x a week, upper body / lower body split.

Whether I split it depends on how busy I am at my "real" career (although I suppose just like you guys, I'd rather believe that bodybuilding is my "real" career and office work is just something to help me be able to keep up my "real" career). If I have one full hour with no hassle, I do a full body. It normally only takes me 45-50mins to workout, but I'd like a full hour so I don't feel rushed. If I'm really busy and can only afford less time, that's when I do a split. So for Monday, for example, I'll do upper body, takes me less than half an hour. Then on Tuesday, I'll do lower body, also half an hour.

My routine is usually composed of the following compounds:
==Flat bench
==Incline / Decline bench, I usually alternate them
==Chins with weight belt
==Military Press
==Deadlifts
==Squats
==Barbell Shrugs (along with deadlifts, the top motion, if I'm pressed for time; otherwise, I do it separately)
==Barbell Rows / T-Bar Rows (I also alternate them between workouts)
(Total: 8 compounds/ workout)

I don't do them in exactly the same order all the time. Usually, though, after warming up, I start with either deads or flat bench, then end with squats.

After all the compounds, I do the following isolations:
-- Incline DB curls
--Concentration curls
--Skullcrushers (with tricep bar) lying on bench
--DB overhead extensions (standing)
--Leg extensions
-- Abs on a decline bench while holding on to a plate
--As an additional workout for my calves, I also stand on my toes then back again to my whole feet while holding a barbell more or less equal to what I deadlift.
(Total: 7 isos / workout)

All in all, I do 15 exercises per workout. How I manage to do that in 50 minutes is simple. You may be aware of this technique. I only do one good set for each (usually 8 focused reps), and I superset as best as I can.

This is simply consistent with my belief that, the human body being composed of so many complex muscle groups, it takes so many varied good exercises to be able to hit all groups EQUALLY and sufficiently. Yes, if you deadlift, bench and do chins, you may be hitting all muscles already, but not equally - I'm sure you would agree. You'll hit all muscles, ok, but while some may already have more than enough stimulation, some may be left a little lacking. Hence, a lot of different exercises. No need to knock yourself dead, do 8 good reps, call it good, go to the next exercise.

I don't believe in using submaximal weighs MOST of the time. The lowest I go is lessen my max by about 15-25 lbs, depending on how big my max is for that exercise. I start my workout "cycle" (since that's what you call it, I simply call it a workout phase, but i understand the word "phase" means different to you) with that weight level (just 15 lbs or so lighter than my max), then move to my max in just after a week.

I also don' quite believe in SD. What I do when I plateau is I go for a strength training phase (or cycle, as you call it). Naturally, I deload first, then finish the strength "cycle". After that, I start my normal routine (starting with 15lbs lighter for the first week, just to be sure I give myself a little break from the extreme weights).

What do I do for my joints? Good question. The thing is, my joints don't get punished. If you've read what I've written so far, I stick to 8 reps. My "max weights" are for that. Don't call that submaximal training though. Submax training is doing lighter than that, and expecting to grow. Also, I believe taking in enough EFA's (fish oil is still best for this) helps the joints.

I'm about 5'6", and I weigh at around 170 lbs. I'm currently at 10-11%bf. Based on HST's own max-size-calculator (which is pretty much the same as all max size calcs I've seen, so kudos, that thing works great), this is damn close to my genetic ceiling. I don't expect much growth anymore (I'm 31 going on 32, been working out since 20), just gonna squeeze out the little that's due to me, and that's it, I'll go to church and thank the good lord for making me reach my max potential. I don't plan to use steriods, don't know much about them, but maybe after two years and I become dissatisfied with my max genetic limit, I may try them out, I have to be honest.

My diet is pretty simple and ho-hum. Steak, potatoes. Fish. Bread. Maybe russian salad or chicken salad. I stopped taking protein powder or shakes years back, I was around 26, when it finally dawned on me they were just robbing me blind (the supps companies, I mean). Why pay $$$ for a tub containing about 300-500g of protein, when in meat form that costs about only 1/10 or less? Before that I thought, quite foolishly, that they were magic bullets. Stupid me. Well, at least I got out of that.

-The Real Deal

And...

Do I have to explicitly mention that I do them all to failure a lot of times? I believe in HIT philospophy (a lot of it, but not all), and that proper inroading is necessary, else slow-twitch fibers are left hardly activated. So when I do 8 reps (to failure), that's for a weight that normally I'll be able to do 5 or 6 without reaching failure. 8 is pushing my body to the limits already, which is exactly what I want to happen if I want my slow-twitch fibers to hypertophy.

<div>
(Real_Deal @ Jul. 05 2006,10:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And...

Do I have to explicitly mention that I do them all to failure a lot of  times? I believe in HIT philospophy (a lot of it, but not all), and that proper inroading is necessary, else slow-twitch fibers are left hardly activated. So when I do 8 reps (to failure), that's for a weight that normally I'll be able to do 5 or 6 without reaching failure. 8 is pushing my body to the limits already, which is exactly what I want to happen if I want my slow-twitch fibers to hypertophy.</div>
Wow, good routine
biggrin.gif

Failure, why didn't we think of that
sad.gif

<div>
(Real_Deal @ Jul. 05 2006,15:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And...

Do I have to explicitly mention that I do them all to failure a lot of times? I believe in HIT philospophy (a lot of it, but not all), and that proper inroading is necessary, else slow-twitch fibers are left hardly activated. So when I do 8 reps (to failure), that's for a weight that normally I'll be able to do 5 or 6 without reaching failure. 8 is pushing my body to the limits already, which is exactly what I want to happen if I want my slow-twitch fibers to hypertophy.</div>
Do you find you have another recovery time between sessions? I.e. 48 hours between going to failure for the same body part?

Also would you like to be able to stick to the exact same routine but do 20 reps with the same weights that you can get to 8 to by really pushing yourself? If so you might be interested in checking out dan's max-stimulation site.

<div>
(robefc @ Jul. 05 2006,12:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also would you like to be able to stick to the exact same routine but do 20 reps with the same weights that you can get to 8 to by really pushing yourself? If so you might be interested in checking out dan's max-stimulation site.</div>
NOOOOOO

Don't show this troll the way to the holy land! Plz keep that place clean.

A little more tact and a lot less abuse would get this guy more places.

For someone in his 30s I could have sworn he was 15.

I think this is the first coherent post he's made so far.

<div>
(JornT @ Jul. 05 2006,17:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(robefc @ Jul. 05 2006,12:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also would you like to be able to stick to the exact same routine but do 20 reps with the same weights that you can get to 8 to by really pushing yourself? If so you might be interested in checking out dan's max-stimulation site.</div>
NOOOOOO

Don't show this troll the way to the holy land! Plz keep that place clean.</div>
Sorry John! I thought max-stim might appeal to him more!

Plus his attitude seems to have changed a bit, not quite sure why he came off like he did at the beginning

@JornT
Well, I've always considered HST forum the &quot;holy land&quot;, following your term, and he's here. Anyway, he probably saw it a million times on Dan's sig.

@Real Deal
Your routine isn't bad at all. I'm a little impressed, actually. When you came here, you were guns blazing, HIT rules, and whatever. Sure, you follow the failure tenet or something, but your workout looks sane aside from that. Despite the number of exercises, you keep it to one good set.

I got your point n why you want more exercises rather than few. So instead of doing, say 2-3 sets of 5-7 exercises, you do 1 set of 15 (wow) exercises. When you compare it like that, your workout does look sane. Yes, you probably will be hitting your muscles more effectively that way. Whether that will produce significant noticeable or just similar hypertrophy is debatable. You may be right, I may be wrong, but that would also largely depend on what your purpose is. For those wanting to compete professionally, I humbly submit that they must do a lot more varied exercises than &quot;deads-bench-chins&quot;. For the common folk who just want a no-nonsense routine to being buff and stop being scrawny, then focusing on 4 core exercises will be fine, adding in whatever specialization they want. In fact, noobs should start off learning to focus on the core exercises, instead of curling day in and day out. At least, that's my .02 on the matter.

I could try to tell you &quot;try HST dude&quot;, but seeing as to how you already have reached (almost) your genetic limit, I'd say stick to what you are doing. You got there already, HST won't make you grow bigger than that if that truly is your limit (although who really knows what the real limits are for you?).

Thanks for saying I'm retarded. I've never felt so popular before. I thought no one here noticed me at all
biggrin.gif
So yeah, no hard feelings.

Regards,
-JV

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For someone in his 30s I could have sworn he was 15.

I think this is the first coherent post he's made so far.</div>

My, oh my

If it is not teh Real Deal himself, and this time he decided as neebone rightly puts it to just let his guns smoke for a change!

Yeah, well, I'd still say you could sqeeze out a little growth with HST but then again who the hell am I
rock.gif

Besides you're all sworn on hitting them hard, baby!
laugh.gif

Your workout isn't bad and seeing that you are only hitting one set at a time, you are being almost just as careful. I have a guy like you at work, SD is a swear word to him, and I must admit he looks good, but he could get further!

My humble opinion, is that you are sussing things out just to get a feel of the crowd, and at that you have not done too bad, except that you made some of us excited to say the least!

One other thing, the reason why I stick to HST is that being almost 40, I don't enjoy all the bravado any longer and I prefer to do the least possible to obtain the best results!

But as the guys say you are entitled to choose, as you can see we are a good crowd and not at all girlie, girlie as you may imagine! By the way I am also 5'6&quot; but only weigh in at 156, so I stick mostly to compounds with a few exceptions till I get to where I'd like to be.

I believe i can still sport at least 17 inch guns, that should be 30 or so pounds away!

I am glad though you have come down to earth!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(robefc @ Jul. 05 2006,13:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(JornT @ Jul. 05 2006,17:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
NOOOOOO

Don't show this troll the way to the holy land! Plz keep that place clean.</div>
Sorry John! I thought max-stim might appeal to him more!

Plus his attitude seems to have changed a bit, not quite sure why he came off like he did at the beginning</div>
John who? Doe?

Dude, 20 reps with the same weight sounds cool in 'theory', but it isn't failire and harcore you know.

@ jvroig: Nooooo, don't tell him where to look!

But serieuly, close to genetic limit or not, if this guys startd doing 20 reps or more with his 8 RM, he's gotta grow!

Well, if he's at his genetic limit really, then he still won't grow, he'll just get stronger, because there's simply no way to support additional skeletal muscle, which is why it's called the limit.

But no one can determine for sure someone's particular limit. Maybe he's right, maybe he isn't.

Regards,
-JV

<div>
(jvroig @ Jul. 05 2006,14:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well, if he's at his genetic limit really, then he still won't grow, he'll just get stronger, because there's simply no way to support additional skeletal muscle, which is why it's called the limit.

But no one can determine for sure someone's particular limit. Maybe he's right, maybe he isn't.

Regards,
-JV</div>
If there's a genetic limit, you can't reach it by that program of his.

We gotta remember here, The Real Deal is a little guy. He said he is only 5'6&quot;. Guys with those short arms don't have to put on a bunch of size to &quot;look&quot; big. I would guess that at his size 16&quot; biceps would appear huge. I am 6'2&quot; with pretty long arms and biceps that are just about 17 1/2&quot; and I feel like a frickin string bean at times!

As far as that workout of his, it is exactly what I have in mind if I choose to do a cycle of AAS. But doing it all the time with no SD seems like good way to learn about all the nice effects of overtraining.

Thinking about it - if you work out 3 times a week to failure and hitting failure doesn't prevent you working out 3 times a week then what's the problem with going to failure?

As far as I'm aware the usual down side is that it prevents you training as frequently...

Sorry Jorn, at a quick glance I think my english eyes converted your name into a more familiar one!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Do I have to explicitly mention that I do them all to failure a lot of times? I believe in HIT philospophy (a lot of it, but not all), and that proper inroading is necessary, else slow-twitch fibers are left hardly activated. So when I do 8 reps (to failure), that's for a weight that normally I'll be able to do 5 or 6 without reaching failure. 8 is pushing my body to the limits already, which is exactly what I want to happen if I want my slow-twitch fibers to hypertophy.</div>
Real: can you explain why you think that lifting an 8 RM load is what leads to slow-twitch fiber hypertophy?

How does failure make any difference? Surely it's the load not the number of reps that causes fibres to be recruited? How would lifting your 8RM load for 2 sets of 5 be worse?

Back