Reps and sets? (2x15, 3x10, 3x5?)

Julesx

Another stupid question!

I have done:

2 sets with 15 reps. Total = 30 reps

3 sets with 10 reps. Total = 30 reps

3 sets with 5 reps. Total = 15 reps

Am I on the right track......................................because I am sure I have read that it is a good idea to keep the reps the same or similar?

Should I be aiming for 30 reps when I am using the heavier weights on my 5 rep sets? (So in my example I would be doing 6 sets during my 2 weeks of 5's?)

If that makes sense!

Many thanks

I would up the number of reps on the 3rd mini-cycle as u want to keep the number close.

Personally I did 2x15/ 3x10/ 4x6

The 4x6 was quite challeging and sometimes took over an hour, next time on that section of the routine I will break the session into 2 parts and will try and so am/pm split

Jules,

When the loads are light (lower intensity) at the start of the cycle, it's very easy to do a ton of work (ie. a lot of N/m!) without overly taxing your CNS, esp. if you stay away from failure most of the time. Doing 3 sets for 15s doesn't seem like a big deal (unless you have a shed-load of exercises to do - not recommended). It's a lot of work but at a relatively low intensity.

However, unless you get close to failure with the light loads, you aren't going to be maximising motor unit recruitment. Maybe you would need to get 10 reps with your 15RM load before all the available motor units are activated (due to fatigue). So, for a 15RM set, you might only get 5 or so reps with full fibre recruitment. For lighter loads, where you stop short of failure at ~15 reps, you might not get any reps with full fibre recruitment.

Does this really matter during 15s? I don't think it does. 15s have several benefits besides eliciting a PS response. Of course, if you are deconditioned at the start of a cycle (as recommended for an HST cycle) then you might well get a PS response even with light loads – something you probably wouldn't get if you just dropped straight to 15s from heavy loads.

As the loads increase over the course of a cycle, and therefore the intensity of each rep increases, your CNS will start to take more of a beating. If you then try to do too much volume (ie. total work), accumulated fatigue will quickly build and you will find your strength dropping off.

So, it's a question of balance. You have to figure out what you can manage. Once you get to loads that are close to your 10RM, 20 total reps would probably be a good place to be aiming. Then, during 5s you might find that 4 x 5 is too much (particularly during the second week of 5s) so you might drop the sets down to 3. If you can handle 4 sets and recover well, then go for it! You'll probably get a slightly better PS response. (Bear in mind that if you do more than one exercise per bodypart you might well need to approach this differently.)

With varying volume over a cycle, you could try something like this:

3 x 15
2 x 15
3 x 10
2 x 10
4 x 5
3 x 5

For post-5s work towards new 5RMs.

(For RM workouts I would drop the reps down for subsequent sets if need be, eg. with a 5RM load, I might do 5, 4, 3, 3 to get all 15 reps).

Doing something like this worked pretty well for me. Along with a bit of zig-zag between mesocycles, I never felt too fatigued. I would have four main compounds per session and a few isos.

If you are concerned about work dropping off at the end of the cycle, you can always add in a back-off set here and there. Worth trying without though.

Lol

Once again, thanks for the quick, clear and informative reply!

I know exactly wher I'm going....................................I think!
biggrin.gif

Jules

<div>
(danchubbz @ Sep. 29 2009,9:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would up the number of reps on the 3rd mini-cycle as u want to keep the number close.

The 4x6 was quite challeging and sometimes took over an hour, next time on that section of the routine I will break the session into 2 parts and will try and so am/pm split</div>
hi there danchubz finaly got on
wink.gif

<div>
(faz @ Sep. 30 2009,12:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(danchubbz @ Sep. 29 2009,9:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would up the number of reps on the 3rd mini-cycle as u want to keep the number close.

The 4x6 was quite challeging and sometimes took over an hour, next time on that section of the routine I will break the session into 2 parts and will try and so am/pm split</div>
hi there danchubz finaly got on  
wink.gif
</div>
yeah, made it in the end!!

To add to what Lol said (and he's virtually always right...so far; don't get a big head, man!) I would do a pure strength system after the five's. Matter of fact, I'd only run the 5's for 2-3 weeks and then denigrate to a 10x3, then 5x3.
You would come into the next cycle with SO much more strength, IMO.

<div>
(danchubbz @ Sep. 29 2009,4:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would up the number of reps on the 3rd mini-cycle as u want to keep the number close.</div>

Why?

Sets and Reps

Do whatever gives you the best results imo - sometimes it takes trial and error to work it out. For me, I do the same number of sets regardless of the rep range, the increasing weight on the bar guarentees that the required intensity is there for me to make progress. Others obviously have different experiences / results.

My best results have come from doing 5x5's. Definitely not as heavy or as many exercises, but this is what I've enjoyed the most at the end of a cycle.

I do the big boy exercises with these (bench, squats, deads, dips, weighted pullups)

<div>
(MicroBerto @ Oct. 15 2009,12:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My best results have come from doing 5x5's.  Definitely not as heavy or as many exercises, but this is what I've enjoyed the most at the end of a cycle.

I do the big boy exercises with these (bench, squats, deads, dips, weighted pullups)</div>
5x5?
I suppose you start with a weight to full fill all the 5 sets?
and reduce every set till the last set is done?

<div>
(bodyguard @ Oct. 23 2009,4:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(MicroBerto @ Oct. 15 2009,12:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My best results have come from doing 5x5's.  Definitely not as heavy or as many exercises, but this is what I've enjoyed the most at the end of a cycle.

I do the big boy exercises with these (bench, squats, deads, dips, weighted pullups)</div>
5x5?
I suppose you start with a weight to full fill all the 5 sets?
and reduce every set till the last set is done?</div>
On the heaviest days I had to do that (drop weight for sets 4 and 5). On lighter days, I could do all 5 sets at the same number of reps. I don't need or want to train to failure every day.

Either way, I'm starting a new HST cycle on Monday. 5x5 was a good changeup but now I'm ready to get back in with HST.

Back