RM in second set

dor_dru

Hye

I'm a bit confused.
Today was my 6 training in the 10s block (the last one).
I bench 2 sets every workout.
So i did the first one and i it was fine.
70-90 seconds i did the second one, after the 8 reps felt like the 9 is going to be failure so i put the bar back.
10 second later i did and rep and after 10 second of rest did the 10 rep.

Few questions
1. Is my 10 RM supposed to be for 2 sets or one? i mean when i trained a week to find my repeat should i have made sure i cant take it for 2 sets?
2. Was the 10 seconds rest was ok? or was i just fooling myself
3. Can i rest for 120 seconds between sets?

Pleas advise.

Thanks

1: technically, just for one.
2: you're basically just clustering. Thats fine, but not necessarily needed IMO. If I get my target reps on the first set then fall short on the 2nd I generally leave it there, unless Im trying to extend my cycle and doing sets of 3 etc.
3: rest as long as you feel you need to be be able to complete your proceding set within reason. Dont wait 15 minutes!

As the load increases your rest times will need to increase as well. When you get to your 5RM and beyond you may find you need to rest for 3+ min. between sets. There is nothing wrong with that. Just don't waste a bunch of time resting longer than what is really necessary.

I concur...on the first week of sets, my rests are 60 seconds...
Towards the end of week 2, I rest about 120 seconds.
Of course, on some workout days, you're not gonna have the energy sometimes, to complete all the reps. I'm on a cutting phase right now, just starting my 5's and throwing in internal training every other day...killer!!

Back