Roids, muscle composition etc

gbglifter

I was having a discussion with my colleague yesterday regarding what happens to muscle if you stop training once you have used anabolic steroids. He heard a pod-cast by Joe Rogan who was discussing roids usage within MMA with an MMA trainer. He claimed that once you´ve built that muscle, through roid usage, it will always be there.

I get it: you take roids, build (hopefully) more muscle than you would do otherwise and you should have more muscle fibres and cells. My colleague claimed, by way of said trainer, that the cells will always be there and that fighters should be banned permanently if they test positive for banned substances as they will give a permanent advantage. I couldnt fully agree or disagree as Im unsure what happens ,on a cellular level, to muscle once you stop weight training. Are the cells still there but smaller? or do the cells/fibres diminish/disappear? Obviously, muscles get smaller but do fibres get broken down?

Id really like an explanation of the process, albeit laymanish as Im not a scientist.

Thanks in advance.

Using AAS to significantly surpass your genetic limits will result in excess muscle that will only stick around as long as you stay on or do enough cycles throughout the year to maintain that. However... AAS usage does permanently increase the maximum amount of muscle you can build but not to the level where someone like Jay Cutler can stay that size off the drugs. Yes, you will permanently have more myonuclei, etc, than someone who has never used AAS. This is how you get "naturals" in the bodybuilding competitions who are larger than a natural should be able to be.

Back