Sci's "Simplify & Win" log

I am going to to do a consolidated training log for fun.
Workouts will be A & B alternating with floating frequency depending on recovery.
Workout A
Squat
Bench
Row

Workout B
Deadlift
Wtd. Dips
Wtd. Chin-ups or Pulldowns.

That will be the entire HST routine.  Only other exercises will be stretching, light cardio and light pre-hab stuff that won't be logged.

I think this is a remarkable idea! I shall watch with interest.
smile.gif

You should SD first. I know you're not a big fan of the merits, but if nothing else to get a full recovery and to properly judge how this routine works for you. Good luck!

I'm also doing 3 exercises per workout now, the extra time is nice.

These workout are simple, but I have already been doing something close for awhile now. The simplicity is deceiving. Since each exercise is a heavy compound, and I am doing multiple heavy sets for each lift with time to recover between sets, the workouts still take between 45 minutes to an hour. Also I tend to train close to max effort all the time, so I have been cutting back on the frequency. This won't be a 3x/week thing, more like 2x/week or so. Something like Session A on Sunday, Session B on Thursday, etc.

I know it sounds H.I.T.-ish, but I enjoy going all out in the gym and then getting out of there for awhile. It leaves me more time to for my business and family anyway.
smile.gif

No need for SD at the moment, although I will back off if I start feeling CNS burn-out.

Good plan. I like it and I wish you well with it. What are your goals right now?

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 18 2008,06:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good plan. I like it and I wish you well with it. What are your goals right now?</div>
Just overall strength and fitness. Nothing major right now.

Strength and fitness? You a liar, Sci!
biggrin.gif

My last routine was similar, but 3x/wk:
Squat
Pullups
Dips
Biceps (just 2 sets)

Deads
Pendlays
Bench
Shrugs
Triceps (just 2 sets)
I had added in the iso's as an experiment, but it's still fairly simple. I find that as long as an exersize is very similar to it's counterpart, strengths come up in both simulaneously. I did well on this routine (my &quot;return to BB&quot; thread) and grew a bit beyond MM, so at my age, that means...it be good!!!  
tounge.gif

Since you've gone near maxes and spread out the sessions, you should do well on it, unless you've been doing something similar for quite a while, creating a stall. Good thought on the family time too. There IS life outside the gym and our obsession.
For the sake of this routine, this might be a good re-reading:
http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/PlannedOvertraining.html

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 18 2008,17:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well this looks like fun.  Are you going to keep calories around maintenance?</div>
For now. I am too fat to keep bulking, but I still want more strength before cutting again...so yeah, around maintenance and then see how it goes.

Pulldowns: 160 for 5/4/4/4...I know 160 doesn't sound like much, but I had to weigh myself down by chaining a heavy dumbell to my belt so I didn't lift into the air like a chin-up. I just like the way these feel as opposed to chin-ups for now. I'll probably move to wtd. chins at some point.
Deadlifts: 275 for 5/5/5. I neglected these for awhile and I am still gaining back my former strength. I have found that a kind of conventional/sumo hybrid is the best stance...basically my legs are just barely outside of my arms using a narrow-grip and slightly wider than shoulder-width stance.
Weighted Dips: [50] for 5/5/3 I narrowed my custom-made dip bars to lessen the stress on my shoulders and really hammer the triceps.

Some shoulder pre-hab stuff...done.

Sounds like the simplest of workouts...but I know its not!

A good plan, which I will soon follow, iwth maybe some odd bits added!

I don't remember if you have pulleys or not, but if you have a low pulley, there is a neat lat exercise you might want to try. I'll have to see if I can dig up a link or find some way to describe it without sounding unintelligible.

Bench Press: 45x12 , 135x6, 185x2, 200x1, 220x1, 240x1.  Messing around for a max single, haven't done one in awhile. 195 x 5/5.  pressing muscles are shot.

Row: 200 x 5/5/5.  PR  Last rep was kind of cheaty so I won't progress the weight yet.

Squat: 275 x 5/5/5.  I'm now doing low-bar squats with oly shoes and its amazing how much hip-power I have now.  I have finally developed a 'squat-butt'. as stevejones called it.
biggrin.gif

I'm jealous of your benching. That's some strong rowing too even if the last rep was kind of shaky. These are still chest supported rows right? I really want to try those out sometime but it won't work with my bench unless I get a cambered bar. I'm sure you already addressed this in the past, but are you able to move more or less with the supported row than you can with bentover rows?

Back