Searching for opinions

Fausto

HST Expert
Here’s my latest rumbling.

Lately I have been feeling rather lacking in the strength department and have been doing an HST program with the following:

Deadlifts / Squats - alternated p/workout
15° B/B bench-press
Chins (underhand close grip) / Seated Cable Rows (Low pulley) - alternated p/workout
Military press
Abs (personal choice)

And these on off days:

Tabata on cycle
Incline Lateral Raises
Incline Curls (D/B) / Cable tricep extension (flat) – as super sets

My dilemma is that for both squats and deadlifts, now in the 5’s phase, I feel rather lacking in strength and not being really able to progress as I’d like. Oh…I wanted to hit 6 sets fro 5’s but at best I can get
5 x 5 which satisfies me…kinda like a week orgasm
laugh.gif

Changes are – no creatine or MRP’s for quite a while (2 months) since my last cycle.
mad.gif

Whilst I seek opinions, I thought maybe I should change my approach, so far I reduced the training to twice weekly to accommodate the higher volume and it is not so bad, although for 6 sets I really should do it while on creatine, specially squats and deadlifts!
tounge.gif

One thing I seriously have been thinking of is to change my training approach on days that I feel slightly weak, and do less load but go for either occlusion or very slow tempo or…what do you suggest?

Oh…by the way I am still using max-stim for all cable exercises and it is going great, I can do 30 reps which is the 6 sets anyway with the 5 rep max – 20% or so.

"The clearest sign of wisdom is continued cheerfulness."

i would say drop the isos on non weight days and see if your less fatigued.
or try what i am going to do this cycle ,after 3 sets of 5 i will be trying 5 sets of 3
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Tabata on your offdays could be burning out your legs so they aren't as strong for squats and deads.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tabata on your offdays could be burning out your legs so they aren't as strong for squats and deads.</div>

Could it be?

For the Tabata; why not try burpees or alternate leg squat thrusts - these will increase your stamina and charge the system GPP styly
wink.gif

I've just read an article on cardio, lambasting static cycles (esp, recumbents) due to the fact that you're actually working out with less effort ie your bodyweight is supported.
In my gym, I get the boxers doing Tabata workouts, &quot;cycling&quot; through Burpees/tuck jumps/squat thrusts - week on week we're breaking our PB's and I myself generally feel more energetic
laugh.gif

I have a hard time getting new PRs in deadlifts if I work the legs too much during the rest of the week. You are advanced enough that your squats and deads aren't light, so it takes a lot more out of you to do them.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Nov. 11 2006,03:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have a hard time getting new PRs in deadlifts if I work the legs too much during the rest of the week.  You are advanced enough that your squats and deads aren't light, so it takes a lot more out of you to do them.</div>
maybe as tot suggested your near your limit for squats and deadlifts.
try doing alternative exercises next cycle and then when you return to them see if you feel any better about them.

Just to totally confuse this issue: for me, I'd almost stopped doing alternates, since I found that doing a movement every other workout didn't bring my strength up as well as doing it every workout. Especially alternating squats with leg extensions. The squat numbers just wouldn't keep up as well.
It's just another point to consider. By going back to all squats, I went as far as 560 in the lever machine, until my back couldn't take any more. I was going for 600, just to say I did it.

When was your last SD and for how long?

If that isn't the problem, get back on creatine and protein and stop with the excuses or I am going to personally come over to that strange place you live in and kick your ass.

Sheesh. Puppies!

Guys

Lots of intersting opinions and some good ones.

So far I think O &amp; G is closest to my dillema, unfortunatelly it is a time where my finanaces aren't that good so only by the ened of this month willi be able to get back into creatine and protein, as i think that is mymain problem.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If that isn't the problem, get back on creatine and protein and stop with the excuses or I am going to personally come over to that strange place you live in and kick your ass.</div>

It'd be lovely to finally see this old cowboy even if it was to kick my ass
biggrin.gif
Will remind me of John Wayne and how he used to sort out young unruly boys
laugh.gif

Sci...

Its just this little bit of my belly that I'd like to get rid of!

YOu may be right because since i did not do Tabata last week my performance was a lot better.

My thing is shouldn't Ijust golighter in days when I feel off though? It seemsto me that it may be better if I am not feeling up to it I may just have to change the way i push for that day I golighter on some exercises and harder on those that I feel I can, just a thought though!
cool.gif

I agree with Sci and Joe... Drop the &quot;extra&quot; stuff and focus on the big lifts. Workout every other day (maybe 3 days a week?). My best guess is that the extra work you are doing is killing you. A day or two (completely) off between workouts goes a long way towards recuperation and performance...

Cheers,
Dimitris

In all honesty I'd take a serious look at your nutrition and sleep patterns and definitely drop the isos...

What is your macro breakdown? Are you cutting right now? Bulking? What and when are your carb sources?

Hey Fausto my man are you trying to cut, or set PBs with your lifts??

For cutting can't go past tabata, and high volume HST will no doubt burn the calories, but is the heavy-heavy weight really necessary, since all you want to do is maintain strength and muscle while you're losing the gut?

If you're actually losing strength then its time to eat more, or back something off.

Also isos while cutting? hmmm prob limited value, stick to the big, strength maintaining, calorie burning stuff. Brisk walking burns more calories that Bicep curls in the same about of time
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Fausto my man are you trying to cut, or set PBs with your lifts??</div>

Peak, to tell you the truth, neither. But I am surprisingly weaker than my last cycle, I assume it is definitelly the nutrition, although I am not counting cals at the moment.

So...assuming from the fact that the protein powder and the creatine ain't there, I must be at maintenance or somewhere there.

Although I get your point...maybe due to the nutrution being somewhat lacking...I should just stop trying so hard...I never really did a cutting cycle before so...I guess I'll just go with what feels confortable and try to keep some of the volume, right?

Once I get my finances sorted...I'll get my MRP + Creatine and then I can go full blast again.

Actually I quite enjoy the short intense workout, I think next I am going to try doing all three rep ranges every week and keeping the progression as per rep range, i.o.w. each rep range will increase weekly, sound slike it could be fun!

Thanks guys.
biggrin.gif

''But I am surprisingly weaker than my last cycle''

So the 30 reps has got you bigger and weaker? hmm.....

Back