Second Run Of Rfl

adpowah

Recently I've moved over to DUP (though it's basically HST with a a reoccurring progressive zig-zag, but I digress) and I've smashed some PRs. All of my former 1rms are now my 5rms, too bad along with all those gains came a decent amount of fat. For a while I was actually looking better than when I was thinner but that phase has stopped and I will need to lose some body fat pretty soon.

I have done one run of RFL that went pretty well so I am preparing to do another. Dieting however is by far my least knowledgeable area, so any feedback on my plan would be much appreciated.

At the end of the month I shouldn't have any interruptions. So I am going to go for at least 10 days (maybe 14) and see where I am at as far as motivation and body weight at that point. So here's my plan/questions.

1. How much time at maintenance? I was thinking a week before and after eating at maintenance. (Typically what I do for maintenance is just eating 3 times a day until I am modestly full, seems to work pretty well).
  2. How soon until I can go back to bulking? I'd like to get back to it pretty quick since I am working towards a 500lb deadlift. If I can get down to 190 in the diet period, I'd like to go back to eating for strength and have another 10 weeks before I need to consider doing RFL or slowly dieting again but at the same time I don't want to sabotage my dieting time.
  3. Should I sleep more? I don't recall reading anything about this but sleep is a major factor in regulating body composition hormones. With the reduction in calories will it be helpful to try and hit 9 hours?
  4. How much should I reduce my training volume? Last time I went down to just two sets of 5 at about 85% of my 1rm and it seemed adequate.
  5. Any other points would be appreciated.

Personally I think you need at least 14 days to make this properly effective. Three weeks on, one week off is something I find works well. The first 3-4 days will be glycogen mostly.

Further, you need to work the calories out correctly.

Read the RFL PDF to get an idea of how to dial back up to normal food.

Keeping training load the same, just reduce the volume.

You will want to sleep more if only to moderate/manage your hunger.

Personally I think you need at least 14 days to make this properly effective. Three weeks on, one week off is something I find works well. The first 3-4 days will be glycogen mostly.

Further, you need to work the calories out correctly.
Like as far as the calories per day while on RFL? If so I have that locked down. As far as when not dieting, I don't really pay attention but I am fairly successful managing my weight by hunger.
Read the RFL PDF to get an idea of how to dial back up to normal food.
In Chapter 11 I didn't notice any particular protocols, he basically recommends just returning to maintenance. When he talks about the fast and slow approach it is more from a long-term dieters perspective whereas I am just using it as a quick body fat control.
Keeping training load the same, just reduce the volume.

You will want to sleep more if only to moderate/manage your hunger.
Sounds good. Thanks.

I would give yourself a couple of weeks at maintenance after the RFL is over. And by that, I mean returning to normal intake over the course of some days.

Like as far as the calories per day while on RFL? If so I have that locked down. As far as when not dieting, I don't really pay attention but I am fairly successful managing my weight by hunger.
In Chapter 11 I didn't notice any particular protocols, he basically recommends just returning to maintenance. When he talks about the fast and slow approach it is more from a long-term dieters perspective whereas I am just using it as a quick body fat control.
Sounds good. Thanks.

A slower return to maintenance, IMO. Over 4-7 days for sure.

Back