Sisy squat Question for the experts

Bob Evans

Background

I have a mild lower back issue.  I have been told to keep it minor I should not squat  
sad.gif
.  This really bugs me because I like squating and know the almost "magic" compound benifits.  So I have been leg pressing.. but it gets a little rediculous.  900lbs and that is not my 5 rm  but all the legpress at the YMCA will hold.

New Gym

A new golds opened near me. I joined. I am like a kid in a candy store with all the great equiptment. There is this Paramont Machine that looks like a weighted sissy squat. (a weighted sissy squat) It is amazing -- just a little weight is tuff. Or maybe I am a sissy.

So I am excited because I think I can hit my legs in a new and better way, with out loading my lower back. Just adding more weight to the leg press gets a little rediculious.

Question

1) am I correct that the weighted sissy squat will hit me in a new and better way over the leg press?

2) Any comments on this machine?

3) Will I get any of the regular squat benifits -- as in the upper body benifits?
(maybe not since it does not load the back -- it also does not load the upper body)

Thanks in advance,

Bob
cool.gif

GOOD FIND LESTAT

Yuppers thats the machine. Wierd looking. Huh? I am really curious if I would get any of the squat benifits --- any benifits over a leg press.

Thanks

Bob
cool.gif

I'd say that machine hit the entire quad, and not much of the hams, like the squats would. Safe though. Have you ever tried the real sissy squats? I mean without a machine?

I'd say that machine hit the entire quad, and not much of the hams, like the squats would. Safe though. Have you ever tried the real sissy squats? I mean without a machine?

I was currious if this weighted sissy squat would hit my upperbody. Me thinks the answer is NO. I have only screwed around with sissy squats in the past. I realy realy like this machine -- though I just started. I appologize about the multipal posts. The Forum was acting up the day I posted. Now it won't let me edit my previous posts. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Bob

Here's my thoughts on the matter. A squat is actually a good ab exersize, hits the hams, calves, core, and just about everything except your hair.
    So, without squats, you would want to either do exersizes for specific bodyparts or use machines that hit most of them as possible. I think (with MY bad back) that the incline leg presses or hack squat machines do a good job on the hams, hip flexors and upper quads, but nothing above the belt.
    The original sissy squat I was taught in the military, was holding a belt or rope looped around a solid object, the feet placed close to the object and you'd lean way back, keeping the torso and hips straight, only bending the knees, and put a weight plate on the chest for added resistance. This ONLY hits the quads; it is an isolation exersize. I can't say what that machine of yours is doing or why they call it a sissy squatter.  
rock.gif

Here's my thoughts on the matter. A squat is actually a good ab exersize, hits the hams, calves, core, and just about everything except your hair.
    So, without squats, you would want to either do exersizes for specific bodyparts or use machines that hit most of them as possible. I think (with MY bad back) that the incline leg presses or hack squat machines do a good job on the hams, hip flexors and upper quads, but nothing above the belt.
    The original sissy squat I was taught in the military, was holding a belt or rope looped around a solid object, the feet placed close to the object and you'd lean way back, keeping the torso and hips straight, only bending the knees, and put a weight plate on the chest for added resistance. This ONLY hits the quads; it is an isolation exersize. I can't say what that machine of yours is doing or why they call it a sissy squatter.  
rock.gif

rock.gif

Okay, this is NOT MY FAULT! An "internal server error" message keeps coming up and telling me I can't post, but is posting in the background anyway...sheesh!

Back