Starting my second cycle of HST

Myrrhman

I was just wondering, can I remove the 2 weeks of 15s? How would I adjust them? I was thiking in doing 2 weeks of 10s, start all over again the next 2 weeks, then my 2 weeks of 5 and then the last 2 weeks increasing my 5RMs.

Yes you can skip the 15s. As for the rest of the cycle, the preferred method is simply extending the 5s. However, you could do 10s longer. Instead of doing the 10s over again after you do them, I would just repeat each increment once to draw the 10s out to four weeks instead of two. So for instance, say for squats you were going to do your increments like this: 250 270 290 310 330 350, you could instead do 250 250 270 270 290 290 310 310 330 330 350 350. Hope that makes sense. Or do 3 weeks of 10s using a similar strategy, 3 weeks of 5s, then do the last two weeks pushing for new 5 rms. It's up to you.

Reviving and old thread...
If not critical, i think the 15's are just as important as the 10's and 5's are...
Many believe that the first two weeks of 15's dont do much in the way of adding muscle. Everyone thinks heavy, low reps are the key.
But remember, one of the main principals behind HST is progression. Beside the frequency principal, by doing the three rep progression, youre signaling your muscles to grow with ever increasing work load/stress, and i think this is one of the key fundamentals to hypertrophy.
By eliminating the 15's, you are basically removing 33% of the progression your muscles are subjected to.
Will your see 33% less muscle growth overall...? Whos to say...
Personally, i am always going to start with 15's in my cycles.

Back