Stubob's Log

stubob

I've come back to HST after a five year hiatus..!

I originally followed HST when T-Mag ran an article on HST and an interview with Bryan.

I became a memeber here and used to post on the board a little back then.

Since then I trained Westside (went to the Westside Gym in the UK), did one powerlifting meet which wasn't that great.

I've done lot's of Christian Thibeaudau's programs and bought three of his books.

I recently did EDT again but on reading the HST faq decided to revisit HST.

I tested my maxes and then had 9 days off, which was pretty painful..! Hate not training, quite moody that week.

I might've done it wrong but will leave it to you guys to correct me if I've done things wrong..

Age - 33
Years training - 10 constant
Height - 5'8"
Weight - 220ish, fluctuates
BF% - 15%ish

I live in England by the way and train at home where I have converted my garage into my gym.

I have a Power rack, inc/dec/flat bench, preacher bench attachment, leg ext/leg curl attachment, lat pull down station, vertical leg press, 250kg Olympic weight, 120kg standard weight and a rowing machine.

15 max setup

Squat - 70kg
Calf raise - 70kg
Inc bench - 65kg
Bent over row - 60kg
Shoulder press standing - 37.5kg
Cl grip bench - 60kg
Shrugs - 75kg
Bi cable curl - 22.5kg
Crunch - 22.5kg

10 max setup

Squat - 85kg
Calf raise - 85kg
Inc bench - 90kg
Bent over row - 80kg
Shoulder press standing - 55kg
Cl grip bench - 80kg
Shrugs - 90kg
Bi cable curl - 32.5kg
Crunch - 32.5kg

5 max setup

Squat - 100kg
Calf raise - 100kg
Inc bench - 105kg
Bent over row - 90kg
Shoulder press standing - 70kg
Cl grip bench - 100kg
Shrugs - 100kg
Bi cable curl - 40kg
Crunch - 45kg

I did two set of each exercise and then the next set was the max.

Mon 23.07.07

Squat - 70kg x 2
Calf raise - 70kg x 2
Inc bench - 65kg x 2
Bent over row - 60kg x 2
Shoulder press standing - 37.5kg x 2
Cl grip bench - 60kg x 2
Shrugs - 75kg x 2
Bi cable curl - 22.5kg x 2
Crunch - 22.5kg x 2

As defined above..!

Wednesday 25.07.07

Squat - 72.5kg x 2
Calf raise - 72.5kg x 2
Inc bench - 67.5kg x 2
Bent over row - 62.5kg x 2
Shoulder press standing - 40kg x 2
Cl grip bench - 62.5kg x 2
Shrugs - 77.5kg x 2
Bi cable curl - 23.75kg x 2
Crunch - 23.75kg x 2

Friday 27.07.07

Squat - 75kg x 2
Calf raise - 75kg x 2
Inc bench - 70kg x 2
Bent over row - 65kg x 2
Shoulder press standing - 42.5kg x 2
Cl grip bench - 65kg x 2
Shrugs - 80kg x 2
Bi cable curl - 25kg x 2
Crunch - 25kg x 2

Monday 30.07.07

Squat - 72.5kg x 2
Calf raise - 72.5kg x 2
Inc bench - 72.5kg x 2
Bent over row - 67.5kg x 2
Shoulder press standing - 45kg x 2
Cl grip bench - 67.5kg x 2
Shrugs - 82.5kg x 2
Bi cable curl - 26.25kg x 2
Crunch - 26.25kg x 2

I cocked up here a bit and for some reason did the same on squat and calf raise as the workout before the workout before, realised and started to increase the rest of the workout.

I do train at 5 in the morning though so perhaps can be excused..!

Wednesday 01.07.07

Squat - 75kg x 2
Calf raise - 75kg x 2
Inc bench - 75kg x 2
Bent over row - 70kg x 2
Shoulder press standing - 47.5kg x 2
Cl grip bench - 70kg x 2
Shrugs - 85kg x 2
Bi cable curl - 27.5kg x 2
Crunch - 27.5kg x 2

I again cocked up legs because I increased from the previous workout, so really should've been on 80kg by this workout.

Although I wasn't a member till three years after you signed up, I can surely say: Welcome back!

My only tip is to possibly go for larger increments especially for squats ~ about 10kg increments instead of 5kg.

Thanks colby and good point.

What I was going to do when I got home is put up the numbers that I had for my 10RM, as I think that I will be reaching those or very close to them at the end of this week.

So I was going to ask, would it be best to start on those numbers from next week or increase them a little..?

My last workout of 15's is tomorrow morning.

cheers
Stu

I am not sure what you are saying here, but if you start your 5's next week, then I would start no higher than your 10RM. Zig-zagging is not necessarily something you need to avoid.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Aug. 02 2007,13:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am not sure what you are saying here, but if you start your 5's next week, then I would start no higher than your 10RM. Zig-zagging is not necessarily something you need to avoid.</div>
What I mean is. If you check my second post (now modifyed), the numbers I'm hitting during the 15's, are getting close to the numbers I'll be starting on the 10's.

Should I increase the maxes on the 10's do you think..?

Cheers
Stu

I wouldn't. The drop in volume while using the same weights will be a nice, temporary break for your muscles.. almost like a zigzag. I'm a fan of letting the whole cycle play out, without messing with your set maxes. That way, you can see your results at the end strength wise.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Aug. 02 2007,16:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wouldn't. The drop in volume while using the same weights will be a nice, temporary break for your muscles.. almost like a zigzag. I'm a fan of letting the whole cycle play out, without messing with your set maxes. That way, you can see your results at the end strength wise.</div>
Ok will do.

Thanks for the advice UFGatorDude30

I like your routine! I see your squat and calf raise weights match. Do you leave the weight on the bar when you are done squatting and do your calf raises in the rack? (That's how I do it.)

<div>
(etothepii @ Aug. 02 2007,22:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like your routine! I see your squat and calf raise weights match. Do you leave the weight on the bar when you are done squatting and do your calf raises in the rack? (That's how I do it.)</div>
Yes I do..

I haven't trained calves that much recently. A little limited with my home gym setup but I can also use the leg press and do calf presses. I will do those on the next cycle.

Friday 03.08.07

Squat - 80kg x 2
Calf raise - 80kg x 2
Inc bench - 77.5kg x 2
Bent over row - 72.5kg x 2
Shoulder press standing - 50kg x 2
Cl grip bench - 72.5kg x 2
Shrugs - 87.5kg x 2
Bi cable curl - 30kg x 2
Crunch - 30kg x 2

That was quite a tough workout..!

Now on to the 10's on Monday.

Would anyone offer some advice as to how many sets to do on the 10's..? 2 or 3 maybe..?

Thanks
Stu

I've made it a goal to do 30 reps throughout my cycle. That means 2x15, 3x10, 6x5. It's going pretty well. I'm on my last workout of 6x5. It is very difficult, but I'm only focusing on 4 lifts, and I take long breaks.

You could do 3x10, but you are doing a lot more exercises, so that may be too much. I'd say 2x10 for you. If that doesn't feel like enough work, you could go 3x10, or 3x10 in just a couple lifts, or 2x10 plus one drop set maybe.

I personally did three as E^ did for the 10's. But, I am doing 4 main compounds only (although I did do a total of 3 sets of iso's afterwards at one point in time, but gave that up as I was dying by then). Because you are doing many more exercises, I would consider doing less. You could try 3 sets for your compounds, and 1 for your iso's? I would give you props if you could handle 3 for all of them and still progress the load effectively.

Thanks for the input guys.. I went for two in the end for the first session to see how that felt. Felt good so I think I'll stick with that..

Squat - 85kg x2
Calf raise - 85kg x2
Inc bench - 90kg x2
Bent over row - 80kg x2
Shoulder press standing - 55kg x2
Cl grip bench - 80kg x2
Shrugs - 90kg x2
Bi cable curl - 32.5kg x2
Crunch - 37.5kg x2

Started MMA last night.

I used to do Wing Chun and Jeet kune do about 10 years ago and wanted to get back into martial arts.

My friend Jon (3rd dan judo black belt, has represented England before), suggested going with him down to a class run locally.

I went down and it was awesome.

Did some boxing, kick boxing and grappling.

Can't wait until next week now..!

Aching today a little, neck, arms and wrists..

Might have to start doing some back bridges I think...

Back