Study: Raisins effects substitute for pre workout

QuantumPositron

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 1204–1207.
Metabolic and Performance Effects of Raisins Versus Sports Gel as Pre-Exercise Feedings in Cyclists
Mark Kern, Christopher J. Heslin, and Robert S. Rezende

Department of Exercise and Nutritional Sciences, San Diego State University, San Diego, California 92182

ABSTRACT

Kern, M., C.J. Heslin, and R.S. Rezende. Metabolic and performance effects of raisins versus sports gel as pre-exercise feeding in cyclists. J. Strength Cond. Res. 21(4):1204–1207. 2007.—Research suggests that pre-exercise sources of dietary carbohydrate with varying glycemic indexes may differentially affect metabolism and endurance. This study was designed to examine potential differences in metabolism and cycling performance after consumption of moderate glycemic raisins vs. a high glycemic commercial sports gel. Eight endurance-trained male (n = 4) and female (n = 4) cyclists 30 ± 5 years of age completed 2 trials in random order. Subjects were fed 1 g carbohydrate per kilogram body weight from either raisins or sports gel 45 minutes prior to exercise on a cycle ergometer at 70% O2max. After 45 minutes of submaximal exercise, subjects completed a 15-minute performance trial. Blood was collected prior to the exercise bout, as well as after the 45th minute of exercise, to determine serum concentrations of glucose, insulin, lactate, free fatty acids (FFAs), triglycerides, and &amp;#946;-hydroxybutyrate. Performance was not different (p &gt; 0.05) between the raisin (189.5 ± 69.9 kJ) and gel (188.0 ± 64.8 kJ) trials. Prior to exercise, serum concentrations of glucose and other fuel substrates did not differ between trials; however, insulin was higher (p &lt; 0.05) for the gel (110.0 ± 70.4 &amp;#956;U·ml&amp;#8722;1) vs. raisin trial (61.4 ± 37.4 &amp;#956;U·ml&amp;#8722;1). After 45 minutes of exercise, insulin decreased to 14.2 ± 6.2 &amp;#956;U·ml&amp;#8722;1 and 13.3 ± 18.9 &amp;#956;U·ml&amp;#8722;1 for gel and raisin trials, respectively. The FFA concentration increased (+0.2 ± 0.1 mmol·L&amp;#8722;1) significantly (p &lt; 0.05) during the raisin trial. Overall, minor differences in metabolism and no difference in performance were detected between the trials. Raisins appear to be a cost-effective source of carbohydrate for pre-exercise feeding in comparison to sports gel for short-term exercise bouts.</div>

What about grapes or other fruit for that matter? Eating healthy food is smart.
laugh.gif

The MuscleNow program totally advocates fruit for workouts, but it makes a lot of us sick to the stomach. I'd wondered about just using those gel packs of fructose instead (I used them skating and had a lot of energy) But was a member of ABC BB'ing at the time and they dissed the idea of using fructose at all, it putting glycogen in the liver instead of the muscles. But I got energy from it, so it's doing something ...and the other side of fructose is that there really isn't all that much in fruit as you'd think...so that camp says it's okay. All I know is Francesco Castano (the author of MuscleNow) built one heck of a body on it; lean too.

I usually drink white grape juice before my workouts along with my whey protein and water. I believe white grape juice is a 50/50 split of fructose and dextrose.

I would think that fructose would work just fine unless your liver was really depleted. Although I don't know that much about how the liver functions and utilizes fructose so maybe I'm off base here.

Grapefruits are supposed to be an excellent choice, too.

I don't like the idea of fruit juices very much if your intention is cutting. I don't have any scientific backup for my opinion, but I believe that when you process fruit to make juice, the fruit sugar is readily available and will therefore cause insulin spikes similar to the way other simple sugars do. On the other hand, I like fruit in general and eat a lot on a daily basis before and after exercise simply to avoid more processed foods.

I dunno, after reading this article, I tried eating a quarter cup of raisins -- 40 grams, 130 calories, 31 grams of carbs. I still felt like crap during my workout and missed a major lift.

Raisins may help, but they don't help much...
sad.gif

Back