Substitutes For Liquid Post Workout Nutrition

Camelia

I am one of the few unfortunates who is allergic to whey protein, and therefore cannot use the various protein shakes as part of my post workout regimen.

I understand that post workout nutrition is relatively crucial if one wants to maximise their gains, but the best I can do is a post workout orange/apple juice along with some chicken.

Though this is probably not an optimal solution I was wondering if anyone else has an alternative solution or suggestion. I have tried the egg protein powders previously, but couldn't for the life of me drink a second one after the nauseatingly hideous first.

Although it makes life much simpler, to be completey honest a post workout powder is not necessary. Have a read of Bryans articles about pre- and post- workout nutrition. for maximal gains, you need protein before and after training... you need the protein to be there as soon as the stimulus for growth has been applied to the muscle, and enough protein must continue to be supplied for an hour after training. This protein does NOT have to come in powder form!!!
Powders are conveinient for taking at the gym, and very quickly digested. Meat is less conveinient for taking at the gym and is slowly digested.
By eating some meat or eggs about 45mins before training, you will have protein available in your system. post training, if you immedeately eat your chicken and juice, you should be fine.
Yes, powder is probably better for the job, but you dont really have that option. Its not a disaster!

eat a low fat protein based meal approximately 1-1.5 hours prior to training, and add in some carbs right before training, (pure) orange juice is a good one. Then DIRECTLY following training, take in a High GI, Low fat, protein and carbohydrate meal. Say a chicken sandwhich with white bread, whatever is most palatable to you.
While it may be 'best' to consume a liquid meal, the MOST important thing is to have some form of food, taken in around training. The difference between solid and liquid would be small at best.

Sound advice. And if you want to add a liquid protein for post-workout, just use a non-whey protein. Whey may be "ideal" in some senses, but what really matters is SOMETHING quickly. You can always take a different protein in liquid form with only a slightly diminished effect (when all is said and done). And don't worry if it doesn't last as long in your system as whey -- you always have your regular dietary protein coming in, too, right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Camelia @ Dec. 30 2002,12:30)]I am one of the few unfortunates who is allergic to whey protein, and therefore cannot use the various protein shakes as part of my post workout regimen.
Have you tried soy?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Dec. 30 2002,7:20)]Have you tried soy?
We don't have the best range of supplements down under, and a lot of the soy protein products produced by Australian companies taste beyond awful. :mad:

There are also many issues of quality with Australian produced supplements, with some of the best known brands not meeting label claims when tested. So therefore it is an issue of product availability (or lack of) and trust for me.

In the past my husband has always bought protein from US based companies that are trustworthy as far as producing quality products. Unfortunately we cannot import these powders directly from the US and have to go through Australian distributors who then charge exorbitant mark-ups. (The import laws on protein powders are extremely strict down here, and there have been many claims of customs seizing protein powders unless the importer possess a license to import and a gurantee that the source of the protein (ie the cows themselves are free from disease and infection.....don't ask
dozingoff.gif
)

In saying that, there has been some good advice in this thread regarding nutrient timing that I will be putting to good use. Thanks again.
worship.gif

The rate of amino-acid uptake is important.
Hyperaminoacidemia is best elicited with the use of whey and it is most unfortunate that you are allergic to whey. Could it be the brand of whey?
Yes, I am familiar with the quarantine laws in Australia and believe me, your woes are mine too when it comes to importation of health supplements. It's easier to get top-grade recreational drugs than quality protein powder :)
Perhaps, if you can find a source of hydrolyzed milk protein, this might help. The greater the degree of hydrolysis, the more pre-digested the protein and this in turn speeds-up rate of amino acid entry into the bloodstream. But with milk protein going out of vogue, you'd be hardfound to find any decent source of milk protein, let alone hydrolyzed milk protein. Alternatively, the brand Nutra-Life has this product called Amino Pro 1500. It's supposed to be a sustained-release amino acid product consisting of peptide bonded and free-form amino acids. Before and after your workout, pop a few of these pills. Hopefully, you get the same hyperaminoacidemic results, although you'd have to pop plenty of pills to even get 20 grams of protein.
Why don't you try this? Get your protein from solid food e.g. beef, chicken, fish etc but use a digestive enzyme supplement along with it? Even better, eat your meat with papaya (pawpaw) and/or pineapple since these two contain papain and bromelain respectively, two enzymes that can be great aid in protein digestion. Furthermore, chew your meat well so that digestion is made easier. Apparently, the use of ginger can greatly aid protein digestion, although I can't recall the reasons why.
Perhaps, combine the use of Amino Pro 1500 and digestive enzymes with solid food. Come to think of it, even if I weren't allergic to whey, the use of digestive enzymes with meat is a good idea.
Godspeed, and happy training.

Any hydrolysed protien, whey or otherwise would work, as it is no longer complete. But there is difficulty getting it on Aus.

THere will still be hyperaminacidemia from any protien source, it will just take a little longer to happen.

Most digestive enzymes are worthless (there is pharmaceutical brands, but they are prescription only)

Back