Subway bulking

zenreich6005

Ok, so i'm starting up a nice clean bulk as specified by will brink's muscle building nutrition. It's calling for approx 16 grams of fat, 26 grams of protein and 55 carbs per meal (6 meals a day) All is well...
..many of subway's sandwiches perfectly meet these numbers - i mean perfectly. Also, the olive oil is a good source of fat - the bread is whole wheat - and everything just seems to make sense - subway is on this diet. Am i crazy? Excuse me - this is kind of a rant so bare with me here - what the hell is wrong with eating subway?
I've seen countless posts on other (from less knowledgable bb'ers) boards where one person asks about subway, and 40 people bash him. If the calories and macros all break down correctly - shouldn't it be ok? I'm not worried about being "hardcore" - just getting a good body..
Dave

Nothing wrong with Subway really.

For that matter, no food is taboo since one person's meat is another's poison. Anyone telling you what you can or cannot eat is a bigot and perhaps, an idiot unless it came from an objective nutritonal standpoint.

In a food and nutrition sense it boils down to calories, macronutrient and micronutrient adequacy.

For me, I'd even have burgers and fries if it is within my calorie allotment, after meeting my protein requirements :)

Godspeed, happy eating, and happy HSTing :)

ps Why bash Subway? It's just a sandwich variant. Might as well bash Delifrance too? And all sandwich-type foods? Doesn't make sense does it? :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 30 2004,8:02)]For me, I'd even have burgers and fries if it is within my calorie allotment, after meeting my protein requirements :)
Mmmmm, burgers and fries.

I guess I'll just have to settle for steak though..... :)

The thing is, the leanest cuts are also some of the cheapest; it's just a matter of eating them bloody enough ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 30 2004,8:02)]For that matter, no food is taboo since one person's meat is another's poison. Anyone telling you what you can or cannot eat is a bigot and perhaps, an idiot unless it came from an objective nutritonal standpoint.

In a food and nutrition sense it boils down to calories, macronutrient and micronutrient adequacy.

For me, I'd even have burgers and fries if it is within my calorie allotment, after meeting my protein requirements :)
This was hard for me to fathom a couple months ago, but I now have come to agree with it up to a certain point.

There are long term health consequences to eating largely high GI foods, of course, but I seem to remember Lyle saying that for those exercising regularly with their weight in control, it really doesn't become an issue.
Then there's the whole trans-fat issue, and it is a very good idea to stay away from all of that.

However, these are health issues - in terms of bodycomp, it probably really is all the same between oatmeal and jellybeans. And to think of all the bland meals I self-righteously consumed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are long term health consequences to eating largely high GI foods, of course, but I seem to remember Lyle saying that for those exercising regularly with their weight in control, it really doesn't become an issue.There are long term health consequences to eating largely high GI foods, of course, but I seem to remember Lyle saying that for those exercising regularly with their weight in control, it really doesn't become an issue.

But can the regular consumption of high GI reduce the insulin sensitivity of muscles?

Dear anoopal,

1. But can the regular consumption of high GI reduce the insulin sensitivity of muscles?

>>>> Muscles are quite magical, in that with exercise, they can become more sensitive to insulin than fat. Furthermore, unless you ate a high GI carb on its own, the GI will be decreeased. This is especially so if you always take some protein with your carbs.

I'd go as far as to say that a sedentary lifestyle plus calorie excess comprising of fatty cuts of meat, refined carbs and fat (think potato chips and all such junk foods) will eventually lead to type II diabetes and other associated illnesses bundled under the label of Syndrome X.

The moment exercise comes into the equation, things are much improved. With the further addition of a healthier menu, things become even more improved.

GI is of small worry to the person exercising regularly. It is of even less concern to the person who has a low degree of bodyfat and a high degree of lean mass.

Godspeed, and happy HSTing :)

wow.gif
2-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dianabol @ Jan. 30 2004,8
wow.gif
2)]Nothing wrong with Subway really.
For that matter, no food is taboo since one person's meat is another's poison. Anyone telling you what you can or cannot eat is a bigot and perhaps, an idiot unless it came from an objective nutritional standpoint.
Godspeed, happy eating, and happy HSTing :)
PS Why bash Subway? It's just a sandwich variant. Might as well bash Delifrance too? And all sandwich-type foods? Doesn't make sense does it? :D

Wondering about your comment Dianabol.

Are you saying that for me to say to someone "don't eat wheat because its bad for you", and I say this because I personally do bad with wheat is wrong?

- I would agree on that point -

Or do you feel that food is just a caloric compound with micro and macronutrients, and beyond that it doesn't really matter?

- If that is the thought I would wonder at it. I believe one must consider their own personal reaction to any food. Allergies (IgE and IgG reactions) can greatly hamper any health or fitness goals.-

Thanks Dianabol :D
JWJ

Back