Swimming + HST

u2junior

If I added 2 days of light swimming...say 30-45 minutes twice a week..would that, in general, hurt of help me during an HST cycle?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (u2junior @ Dec. 28 2003,10:36)]If I added 2 days of light swimming...say 30-45 minutes twice a week..would that, in general, hurt of help me during an HST cycle?
Personally, HST + Swimming is the greatest workout combination I've ever experienced, and I swear by it completely.

- Watch out for overtraining. 2x a week should be fine.
- Watch your stroke technique. You can really destroy your shoulders swimming, and the shoulders are crucial for so many lifting exercises. Get a video or book if you're not a technically-sound swimmer.
- You're going to be burning a LOT of calories. This could be good if you're cutting. But if you're using HST, chances are you want to get bigger too. Get ready to eat lots, your metabolism may explode.

What type of swim sets are you planning on doing? I love HST + swimming

MicroBerto
What do you recomd pple who dont used to swimm as you and who will swimm for losing fat? (45 minutes swimming as a fish?)
Have you also expierence with swimming to lose fat easily, even on your daily diet, without cutting your calorics?
Hope to hear from you.

Thanks for the reply MicroBerto. I wasn't expecting such a glowing endorsement of the combination. 2x per week was my objective since I was worried I would possibly overtrain. As for eating that is no problem...anything that allows me to eat more is great.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bodyguard @ Dec. 29 2003,4:05)]MicroBerto
What do you recomd pple who dont used to swimm as you and who will swimm for losing fat? (45 minutes swimming as a fish?)
Have you also expierence with swimming to lose fat easily, even on your daily diet, without cutting your calorics?
Hope to hear from you.
Bodyguard also sent this as a private message, so I'll paste my response here:

Hi Ron! Well, I'm no swimming instructor, nor am I a trainer. My recommendation is to get a bit of swimming training if you are seriously interested. I don't know of any good videos or books, but I'm sure there's other forums that can help you there.

Doing breaststroke is a good start, but realize that if you only do one stroke, you're going to be hitting the same muscles again and again. That's ok for cardio, but might give you lopsided results.

Personally, when I maintain the same calories and begin swimming, I shed fat like crazy. Remember that I just turned 22 so it's not all that hard for me to do at this age. However, I also have little self control and usually eat way more since swimming makes me so hungry.

If I were you, I'd consider getting a recommended video or a couple quick lessons. If you learn to do freestyle, but do it wrong, you can cause so much trouble. I now watch technique so much because I weigh nearly 200 pounds - 35 more pounds than when I swam in high school. That's pulling around a lot more weight, and if I do something bad (like let my right hand cross over to the left side of my body underwater while pulling freestyle), then I will hurt it more than I ever have.

Backstroke is an easy stroke to learn as well. It's also easier on the lungs since you can breathe more.

Regardless, if you get in the water for 30 to 45 minutes and are moving around a lot, using all of the muscles that swimming uses, I think you will find good fat-loss results. Adding HST gave me more rip than ever.

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't instruct you more, but let me know what you end up doing!
-berto

Thanks for the posts...it is a big help. My question isn't whether I want to swim now, it's if I can find somewhere to do it that won't be too expensive and easy to fit into my work schedule.

Hi MicroBerto,

Thank you very much for the post.
I will look for a good swimming pool in the neighbourhood.

So, lifters, lets swimmmmmm :)

thanks again

No problem, I'll keep you posted on my progress this cycle with it too (starting Jan 5 for me) -- Just got a new digital camera, so maybe I'll post some after pictures too. Nikon Coolpix 2100, working great so far. I put a bunch of pictures at http://bertopics.afraid.org and will keep adding to it. No lifting pictures in there though

Hahaha thanks. A bit offtopic now, but I have some pictures from last night to throw in, and then tonight is new years, so that will be a big party as well.

I know that going out a lot hurts my overall health and is not good for hypertrophy... but hey, I'm only gonna be in my early 20's once!

will HIIT style swimming hurt?
blush.gif

maybe 3 minutes non-stop is enough? then rest 5 min. then go with normal swimming ? :) just like the cardio in the diet and nutrition fAQ

Back