Tell me again about TUT and 5rm's

wungun

I restarted my 10rms after 6 weeks of 5rms (with extra metabolic sets)...
On my first round of 10's, 6 increments below my max, the app I use to keep track of my lifts is telling me I am moving more weight total for the day than I did on my absolute max 5rms for the same exercises!
Tell me again the benefits of the 5rm mini cycle?
Once I hit my max 10's, I'll be moving a LOT more weight than I ever did during 5's.

Do 10's forever if you think total TUT is all that matters.

It really doesn't. Find me someone with a naturally obtained physique that stands out who did it using their 10RM.

I guess, again, I'm confusing "work" in the typical sense, with tension. The point of 5rm's is to expose the muscles to more tension, correct?
My app tracks the amount of weight lifted over accumulated distance... Basically, work done. So it's more important that a greater amount of weight is lifted (per rep) and not the total amount of weight per set?

Wungun, it depends on your goals., e.g., endurance vs strength vs hypertrophy. On this website, we are primarily devoted to hypertrophy so our answers tend to support what is best for growth. We have no idea what your app is for. Typically most generic apps are for all-around fitness which is not the same as hypertrophy. It is easy to be confused in the beginning until you understand what you really want to accomplish.

My app is strictly to log my workouts, and to keep track of my exercises and weights used and to time my rest periods, etc.
I'm most definitely interested in hypertrophy!

Back