Texas Power Bar gunk?

• Thread starter imported_gumpish
  • Start date
I

imported_gumpish

So my gear is starting to show up (the last item left is the cage I ordered) and it all seems good, but the Texas Power Bar I got (from dumbbellbuddy.com) arrived with some kind of grease / thin coat of grime, which isn't necessarily visible, but you can feel it and if you wipe the bar with a paper towel you can definitley see it there on the towel.

Is this normal? I'm reluctant to try hosing it off with water so I guess I'm stuck with papertowels and/or rags to wipe it clean.

Yes, quality bars have free-spinning roller-pins with bearings and need to be oiled regularly to keep the friction down. Mine came oiled too, I wiped it down when I first got it and recently I had to add oil to the pins because they were 'drying out' and developing friction (and eventually rust if not oiled).

They would get a bad rep if their bars came to you rusted. A soft cotton cloth or your towel takes off most of it, chalk will totally eliminate it, and truth be known, your hands put some oil on it anyway, albeit acidic. I wouldn't use a degreaser unless your house is very low humidity. Just wipe it down.

Back