Training for a 10k

adpowah

So my wife and some friends are going to do a 10k at the end of September and I thought it would be fun to do it too. I am about 2 weeks into training (using the couch to 10k program) and I have essentially paused my lifting workouts. If you have seen my training logs I just finished 1 year of HST and had some really nice gains. I plan on picking this back up seriously after the 10k.

I am looking for any advice on retaining as much strength/mass as possible while switching my training to an endurance program for the next two months. Right now I am running 4 times a week with varying intensities. I am a horrible runner so I am working on technique and just sticking to the couch-to-10k program. I dont have any illusions of coming out of this stronger or bigger but I would like to lose as little as possible.

Currently I am eating in a caloric surplus and I will typically hit some light weights (40-50% of my 1rm) for a single set of 15s after each run. I want to keep the muscle active but not strain any joints or over reach my training and get into a deficit of recovery. Anyways any insight/suggestions are appreciated.

You'll probably need to do one heavy session per week in order to try to maintain your lean mass. If you don't give your body a reason to keep your lean tissue around, then why should it? Your next challenge will be to see if you can figure out the best way to do this so that you still have time to do all the running you need to do. :)
I don't think you'll need to do masses of volume as you're not trying to grow tissue. Maybe one top set for a few key compounds. See how you get on each week. Try to match what you did the previous week. Keep an eye on your bodyweight.

Everything that Lol said is spot on. I would add that you should make sure that in your diet, you account for however many calories you are burning while running. Depending on how much running you are doing, you can burn a lot of calories which could possibly push you into a deficit. A small deficit is probably fine with once a week heavy training but I wouldn't let the deficit get too large.

Back