Training Session Too Long. Alternative Advice

Caijin

Hi Guys. Been doing HST for a while but while cuting only. Just started bulking and so have been able to up my weights enough that each session is taking a lot longer.

Here is my current session:
Squats
Deadlift
Pullups/Chinups
Incline Bench Press
Chest Dips
Inverted Row
Standing Shoulder Press
(Chest Flyes)
(Preacher Curl)
(Tricep Extension)

The iso's at the bottom are in brackets because I don't always do these. The flyes I tend to more often than not because I dont think my chest responds well to the BP and dips.

Anyway, at the end of the 5's my session is encroaching on an hour and half which I'm not happy with.

Ive come up with two alternatives.

Firstly, split the routine into 2 days, like so:
Session 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Inc Bench Press
Dips
Shoulder Press
(Flyes)
(Triceps)

Session 2: Back, Legs
Squats
Deadlift (Im not at a weight yet where doing these on the same day as squats is a problem)
Pullups/Chinups
Inverted Row
(Preacher Curl)

And do these on consecutive days. So:

Mon: S1,
Tue:S2,
Wed:S1,
Thurs:S2,
Fri:S1,
Sat: S2
Sun: Rest

Secondly, just do the normal 3 sessions per week but alternate the exercises in them:

Monday:

Inc Bench Press
Squats
Pullups/Chinups
Shoulder Press
(Flyes)
(Triceps)
(Preacher Curl)

Wednesday:

Dips
Inverted Row
Deadlift
Shoulder press
(Flyes)
(Triceps)
(Preacher Curl)

Friday:

Repeat monday

I'm not sure which to go with. Any advice? The second alternative- doing Mon/Wed/Fri with alternative exercises is doing less frequency than the first alternative, but I dont know if the first option would be too much because although it is effectively 1 session 3 times a week (but each session split over 2 days) so its not a higher amount that what I am currently doing, it means I only get one day off from lifting a week.

Which would you suggest? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help, guys.

The option best suited for HST is to alternate exercises. This way you'll do full body routines while getting sufficent variation. You may need to add a set or two per exercise to keep volume per body part up. Try it and see how much time you gain.

Back