Trying To Get Back To Weight Lifting After Multiple Injuries

Ibrahim

Been a long time, over 4 years in fact.

unfortunately i have problems with 2 of my lower discs and I tore my triangular fibrocartilage (TFCC tear) in my wrist of my dominant hand.

This has ruled out many compound exercises for me and was really depressing after so much hard work and many HST cycles.

I honestly cant see myself doing any other program. This was simply the best ive ever felt going to the gym.

So im starting a new HST cycle and unfortunately the injuries keep being a nuisance.

I have decided on the following exercises to try to get around the injuries as much as possible.

Pullups/Chinups (A/B) (may need to change this due to wrist)
Leg Extensions (A) - had to switch to this due to lower back
Seated Leg Curls (A) - had to switch to this because of lower back
Hyperextensions (B) - had to switch to this because of lower back
T-Bar (B) had to switch to this because of lower back
Calves (B)
Dips/flys (A) - after doing some dips today, i felt some discomfort in my wrist and didnt want to push it so i had to change to flys.
Incline Bench (B)
Seated Barbell Military Press (A)
- may swich this out to dumbells as barbells may be causing more stress to my wrist.
Power Partials (B)
Shrugs (B)
Bicep Curls (A)
Overhead Triceps (B)
switched to this after issues with decline bench ez bar
Abs

1. Does anyone have any suggestions to optimize this better and maybe switch some exercises for some easier on the wrist and lower back but hitting the muscles im losing because of squats/dead lifts/ dips/ and potentially pullups/chinups being out of the equation?

2. Is my A/B split days set up optimally? Its been so long that I forgot what i was doing exactly and cant seem to find my old workout spread sheets.

Thanks

Welcome back @Ibrahim, pretty sh1tty injuries you have there :(

1. Does anyone have any suggestions to optimize this better and maybe switch some exercises for some easier on the wrist and lower back but hitting the muscles im losing because of squats/dead lifts/ dips/ and potentially pullups/chinups being out of the equation?

Well they are pretty much the best exercises IMO and you cannot do them, not to sure what other exercises to recommend in your current situation, have you looked on http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/?

2. Is my A/B split days set up optimally? Its been so long that I forgot what i was doing exactly and cant seem to find my old workout spread sheets.

You are doing an A/B split but is this 3 days per week or 6 days per week?

Thanks

its 3 days per week.

Personally with the amount of exercises you are restricted to I would just have one routine and repeat that 3 days per week and would probably do the following

Chest – Incline Bench (I would prefer Dips if your wrist allows)

Shoulders – Seated Military Barbell or Dumbell Press (if barbell is an issue with your wrist)

Middle Back – T Bar

Lower Back – Hyperextensions

Lats - Neutral Grip Pullups (if your wrist allows)

Traps – Shrugs

Legs – Leg Extensions, Leg Curls and Calves

Arms – Bicep Curls and OH Tricep extensions

Personally with the amount of exercises you are restricted to I would just have one routine and repeat that 3 days per week and would probably do the following

Chest – Incline Bench (I would prefer Dips if your wrist allows)

Shoulders – Seated Military Barbell or Dumbell Press (if barbell is an issue with your wrist)

Middle Back – T Bar

Lower Back – Hyperextensions

Lats - Neutral Grip Pullups (if your wrist allows)

Traps – Shrugs

Legs – Leg Extensions, Leg Curls and Calves

Arms – Bicep Curls and OH Tricep extensions

Barbells and dips seem to be an issue. I find dumb bells easier on my wrist for some reason.

Hard to simplify and win when you cant do compounds :(

That seems like a good idea, im currently doing pullups, but i started feeling some discomfort in my wrist today, would a v-bar pull down be a good replacement for neutral grip pullups if i struggle down the line?

It is just a matter of finding exercises that you are able to do without pain and stick with them, not ideal I know but it's better that than being in pain and potentially not being able to train.

It is just a matter of finding exercises that you are able to do without pain and stick with them, not ideal I know but it's better that than being in pain and potentially not being able to train.

yeah im in it for the long haul.

thanks for your help mick

A couple suggestions:

Rule #1: If it causes pain during the exercise, do not continue doing it.

Use a neutral grip if possible for chin ups. That will take the strain off the wrists. Use gloves with wrap around wrist support. Using gymnast rings instead of a stationary pull up device helps relieve wrist pain also.

Be wary of hyperextensions. They can seriously damage the lower back. Doing them laying on the floor is safer than doing them on a hyperextension machine.

Dumbells can be substituted very effectively for barbells and give a better bottom stretch.

On leg extensions, do not let the legs drop further back than 85 degrees. That will lesson the weight required putting less stress on your lower back and help protect your knees from over-contraction stress.

Keep weights lower by doing a 2 second concentric move and a 4-5 second eccentric move. The benefit will be better for hypertrophy as well as safer.

Determine the cause of your pain!

Good luck!

O&G

Last edited:
Hi

Good luck with your training.

I have had some back problems myself, recently, though nothing compared to yours, by the sound of it.

I just wanted to add my very brief suggestion, if it helps.
I am guessing that your T-bar is a chest-supported variation, because otherwise, this could cause some stress on the lower back too?
I have been using (face-down on) an incline bench to do dumbbell rows for my upper back/traps work. Really allows for good concentration on the form, and ROM, and no stress on the lower back.
Kelso shrugs performed similarly, work well too.

As said above, you need to take serious care of your and strengthen it appropriately.... at least until they start selling replacement spines on eBay

Good luck

Brix

Yeowch! That would have to feel very frustrating...

I have read up on the older guys like Frank Zane and Arnold etc and even though these guys were not natural, I believe that we can still take some of their advice with regards to lifting techniques. I saw Frank Zane recently comment somewhere that if he had his time over again, he would not go with the higher weights that he did. He speaks about shoulder injuries and such now.

I have a nagging shoulder issue (as well as wrists), that will flare up when I do presses. For my shoulders, I now just work on face pulls and lateral raises. That is all I do now for my shoulders these days. It is amazing, I can use a good amount of weight on face pulls, but the last time I tried an overhead press it hurt and the weight was light. I no longer have any shoulder pain and am happy with my shoulder development and routine, but I still feel a tense movement on certain daily movements in the left shoulder. No pain, but I can feel that it is not 100%. I am in my early 40's now too, so it may just be me getting a little older now. I think I need more time for my shoulder to heal and I feel that the face pulls are a good movement to rehabilitate them.

I think I have had to learn (the hard way) that when you do an exercise, you need to try and have a natural range of motion throughout the exercise. I feel that as soon as you are forcing a muscle, tendon or joint to do something it was not designed to do, then that is a recipe for "snap city".

Have you seen a physical therapist about your injuries? Are you able to meet with one and come up with a routine that will suit you and not bust you up? Getting busted up is just not worth it in my opinion.

I also respectfully encourage you to listen to Old and Grey as well. He is a little older than most of us and a lot wiser. I have always found his posts to be well worth the time it takes to stop and read.

thanks for all your suggestions guys. really helpful stuff.

i have changed some of the exercises around and watched loads of youtube videos about exercises easy on the wrists.

For me now its about getting and staying in shape more than anything else.

I havent see a physical therapist although its been suggested multiple times, because its hard to find the time to fit them in really. Also, by the sound of it, they focus on strengthening the core and so on. If God forbid i have some sort of relapse or something of the sort, Ill do it this time around.

Really solid advice on the leg extensions, as I do feel it adds some stress to my lower back, and this sounds useful.

The T-Bar is indeed chest supported.

I may need to look into an alternative for hyperextensions.

thanks again everyone

Back