ultimate diet 2.0

Have any of you tried the ultimate diet 2.0? If so, how were the results?

Another question I have is: can I combine HST and the Ultimate diet 2.0?

Thanks!

SnB

its good. i went from 15% to 9%bf in 5 weeks. and that was my first cycle, I'm sure it will work better the next time.

I wouldn't try to combine the two.
The UD2 is mainly for fatloss, and it is far from optimal for mass gains. It also has some rather strict workouts you must do for results.
HST is, as the name implies for mass gaining, thus something entirely different.

IMO you should use HST and a hypocaloric diet to gain weight, and when you hit 15%bf, do a UD2 to get you as far down as possible. Then repeat.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jkismul @ May 09 2004,5:53)]its good. i went from 15% to 9%bf in 5 weeks. and that was my first cycle, I'm sure it will work better the next time.
Wow! what was your weight at 15% and then at 9%? did you lose lots of muscle?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Techo @ May 09 2004,6:09)]Wow! what was your weight at 15% and then at 9%? did you lose lots of muscle?
LBM stayed the same, at about 72kg. Fat weight from about 13 to 7.5kg. Thus I went from 15%bf 85kg, to 9%bf and went just under 80kg.
That was one of the main reasons I quit the diet. Even thoug it was almost only fatloss, I couldn't stand seeing the weight fall below 80, after all I had done to get there. :)
Strength stayed the same too, so I think any muscle-loss would be pretty negligible.

This is quite encouraging... I think I'll pick up a copy of the UD2 sometime. However, I think you get better results at a higher LBM to begin with... I'm a measley 147.5 @13% ATM... I wonder how much I should worry about catabolic effects while on UD2 at this lower level....

I should be starting this program within a week or so? My question is: If I am mid-cycle(starting first week of 5's tomorrow) on an HST program, should I just stop right now and take a week of deconditioning before I start the UD2 program or just start as soon as I can?

Also, do you think reading the book and grasping the information correctly is possible within a few days?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VIPER @ May 09 2004,10:04)]Also, do you think reading the book and grasping the information correctly is possible within a few days?
I believe it is if you have a basic understanding of diet and training and it also depends on how much time you dedicate to it during those 2 days :D

As well as reading the book I suggest taking a look at the forum over there and reading the threads...

KC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jkismul @ May 09 2004,5:53)]IMO you should use HST and a hypocaloric diet to gain weight, and when you hit 15%bf, do a UD2 to get you as far down as possible. Then repeat.
Exactly! Trying to combine 2 programs with such drastic differences in goals in destined to fail...

Your plan looks perfect...

KC

UD2 will mak u hyoooge!!! And increase your penis size, to boot. 1.

Seriously, I've had great results with it. Seeing veins I'd never seen before, in addition to getting visible abs. Gained lbm and lost fat. Why? Probably lucky genetically, have muscle memory from lifting previously, am a little larger than average. Also, I can follow directions well enough to get the approximate result I want.

Lyle lays the whole thing out in a very methodical manner, it's almost idiot proof. In addition there is a handy and interesting account of the biological processes that occur under dieting.

Note: Do not think of doing this diet without a set of food scales and logging your food intake, it's critical.

1. Any successful diet will do this if you are measuring with a ruler from the pelvic bone, due to decreased skinfold measurements.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VIPER @ May 10 2004,12:34)]Thanks again guys, but do you think I should decondition before I start?
An SD isnt required for the UD2 but as noted in the book it is suggested that you eat at maintenance levels of calories for a week or 2 before you start if you have been dieting before.

However, I believe you were bulking and normally if possible Id suggest a week or 2 at maintenace levels of calories before dieting but given your time crunch I say fire it up...

KC

Yeah I already started lowering calorie intake to prepare for the upcoming calorie deficit. This should be interesting! I should try taking some before and after pics to see the overall improvement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VIPER @ May 10 2004,9:16)]I should try taking some before and after pics to see the overall improvement.
Please do, I'm very interested to see how it works. I am thinking after my bulking round UD2 may be the way to go.

Keep us informed... :) :D

You got it man, hopefully I can read the book quickly enough to get started considering that all my finals are all next week so we'll see.

I don't agree with some comments here that UD2 cannot be combined with HST training. Admittedly if you use HST workouts in place of UD2 workouts then technically you are not doing UD2, as UD2 is designed to be an integrated diet and workout approach. However the dietary aspect of UD2 is effectively a CKD. There is no reason why you could not follow a CKD and use HST style workouts. Some of the workouts on the UD2 are designed for glycogen depletion, as this will apparently force muscles to utilise more fat for fuel. However I believe that this is a relatively small affect. CKD with HST workouts should work fine.

I think the reason Lyle feels HST cannot be used with UD 2.0 is that UD 2.0 specifically dictates depletion phases that require a different type of workout that HST calls for.

As to my personal opinion, I think you can still follow UD 2.0 diet wise, and use HST at the same time and get great results.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kiwi @ June 14 2004,6:19)]I don't agree with some comments here that UD2 cannot be combined with HST training. Admittedly if you use HST workouts in place of UD2 workouts then technically you are not doing UD2, as UD2 is designed to be an integrated diet and workout approach. However the dietary aspect of UD2 is effectively a CKD. There is no reason why you could not follow a CKD and use HST style workouts. Some of the workouts on the UD2 are designed for glycogen depletion, as this will apparently force muscles to utilise more fat for fuel. However I believe that this is a relatively small affect. CKD with HST workouts should work fine.
I did C-K-D with HST and achieved great results. I went from 209 and 19% to 180 and 7.5% without losing strength like I did last year. Lost only 5 lb of lean mass and 24 lbs of fat. This is the first time that I combined a nutrional and excercise program into one unit and am very pleased with the results. I'm in the last 2 weeks of my first 8 week phase and am eating at maintainance level. After md SD, I'm gonna try a little clean bulking, maybe 5lb. We'll see. And if you want to know, yes, I log EVERYTHING I eat into a nutrional software program. Helps keep track of macronutrients for me as well as water and everything else.

Bryan,

How would you modify HST for UD2.0?

Would you stick with your normal progressive load and just follow the diet? Something like this:

M - lift - low carb
T - cardio - low carb
W - lift - low carb
R - cardio low carb
F - lift - carb load
S - rest - moderate carb
Su - rest - moderate carb

You're going to have to do depletions at some point if you are going to get the effect of the glyocgen replenishment during the carb load.

I think it's best to leave the two apart. UD2.0 works fine on its own, why toy with it? Unless you just feel like messing around, otherwise, follow the program as it's meant to be followed - it won't steer you wrong.

The UD2.0 for mass gains seems like a great way to stay lean while getting bigger. Alternately, HST with a small caloric surplus. I like the overeating part of UD2.0, but the physiological processes it takes advantage of. Lyle truly did something great with that program, and I'd honestly pay more than $40 for it. Well, WELL worth it.

Back