Vegan + Bodybuilding = ?

_tim

Um.

Ok. To start, I am nutrition-stupid. Understand that. I have read the forum.

Still nutrition stupid.

My wife is wanting to try going vegan. For her, cool. Go for it.

For me: good idea/bad idea?

My concern is both in terms of healthy caloric intake and protein intake. I'm fine with the no dairy thing, as I do that now. It's the no meat, no egg things that are huge issues for me.

Nutrition gurus: help please. Can I be vegan and be a bodybuilder and NOT suffer significant amounts of muscle loss?

Yup - no whey, no casein. Doesn't mass amounts of soy protein amount to bad things physiologically for men?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Doesn't mass amounts of soy protein amount to bad things physiologically for men? </div>

I heard something like that, but I'm not sure.

Damn, being vegan sucks for bodybuilding.
rock.gif

There are plenty of vegetarian bodybuilders, but I haven't read about any of them being full-on vegan. No dairy, no fish, etc, that might make it difficult. If you could have dairy and eggs, then you'd probably be fine...

Still, eliminating entire food groups from your diet is never a good idea.

Thanks guys. I took a look at a few different sites and people keep saying that it's possible. However - I didn't find a single example diet. Instead, I found that they &quot;recommend that vegan bodybuilders get at least .8 grams of protein per pound of body mass.&quot;

Um, isn't it conventional wisdom that bodybuilders should shoot for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body mass?

I dunno - I'll keep researching it and see what I find. For now, I completely agree with Tot - vegetarian, yes. Vegan - probably not.

You are basically stacking the deck against yourself. Like deciding to climb Mount Everest, then deciding not to bring a coat.

And what's the point bro? Eggs are great food; it's not like you're eating babies or something. Milk has debatable points but is high in protein, and the argument goes on for/against production of female hormones in men from lots of soy protein.
1 gram of protein per pound of body mass is an accepted minimum. For women, it's less, as they naturally carry less muscle mass anyway.
If a gal has muscle like a man, you can bet she has male HORMONES in her. Be it by birth or choice.
Personally I'm not offended by semi-muscular women. And last time I looked, I wasn't a queer, so...

quad and e^pii, 100% agreement. This came about because of an idea my wife had that she started researching, and I more or less wanted to know if it was possible. I know it'd be hard for me even to be vegetarian. I love eating stuff that has to be killed. I love eggs. I love whey and casein. I even love soy - but that's about the only thing in this post that a vegan wouldn't accost me for.

Bottom line, the vegan debate is over at our house. WHEW!

if your wife is going vegan why do you have to?

obvious exceptions can be made for a common meal like dinner or breakfast but otherwise why would her diet change mean your diet change.

when you bulk does your wife bulk also?

<div>
(bluejacket @ Aug. 06 2007,15:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">when you bulk does your wife bulk also?</div>
I dunno, it seemed like every time my wife got pregnant, she'd gain at least ten pounds -- and so would I. Then she'd have the baby and lose the weight, but I'd still be all fat and sloppy. I'm paying for that today...!
sad.gif

jacket - Though my wife's not doing the vegan thing, had she, she'd expect me to make the lifestyle change as well so that there would be no temptation at home to be non-vegan. I would have continued to supplement as I have despite it being non-vegan. I sorta pushed that argument and won. I threw out a ton of information that I'd found about it - not really to discredit it, but more to say that we should borrow some of the dietary restrictions some of the time.

Mind you, she gets like this when we eat like crap for a while (which we have).

To answer your question about bulking - I at best do a slow bulk because I've had to buy too damn many new clothes recently. For my wife, after two kids, my own personal take is that she gets a free pass for her physique. If she wants to be thin - great. If she wants to be a bit chunky - fine. As long as she's healthy and we're feeding our girls a good diet, I could care less.

Tim

My small non-expert opinion is that going vegetarian has its advantages healthwyse, but vegan to me it is an issue.

A recent article I picked up form our church talks about a couple in New Zealand who are getting persecuted after refusing to let their late son take a vitamin b12 (one of the things missing in vegan diets) supplement or in the diet as recommended by the doctor at the time.

The Doc's recommendation was due to the son's sickness being direct lack of vitamin b12.

Their son died as a result, the church even though it recommends (does not impose) a healthy ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet is against fanaticism, this one was just blatant.
sad.gif

I completely agree, Fausto. That story of the folks in New Zealand is downright disturbing. It's well known that vegans need to supplement B12 - and that in an of itself is supported by veganism. I wonder why his parents refused to let him take it? That really makes no sense, even for fanatics.

In completely other news, I'm very much enjoying my EGG OMELET right now, and the CASEIN I took a few minutes ago is doing its job.

Take THAT, veganism.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I wonder why his parents refused to let him take it? </div>

The article does not mention why, simply says they refused and their son was a wee fellow from my understanding (6 month old baby).

anywho here's the story:link

Sad stuff. I can't imagine letting anything - religion especially - preclude the health of my kids. I didn't realize that he was only a baby.

I hope those people are put in prison for a very long time. That is horrible. I despise people who try to put their kids on the same crazy diets they are trying. Children need complete nutrition to develop properly. That is terrible that their child died. I am totally disgusted that there are people out there who would go so far that they would cause the death of their child.

Seriously, I really, really don't like people who hurt/abuse children. Anyone who tries to restrict their child's diet in an unhealthy way like this should be charged with child abuse or neglect. Not only can they make their child sick, but they can screw over their children for life. My older brother was malnourished like this by his mother before he came to live with us as a kid, and as a result, his joints are all screwed up, among several other problems. She was some kind of extremist religious wacko and did some bad things to him. He has to live with that for the rest of his life.

It's one thing for adults to do stuff like this, even though being vegan isn't &quot;natural&quot; but totally another thing to force your kids to do it.

Tot

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">She was some kind of extremist religious wacko and did some bad things to him. He has to live with that for the rest of his life.</div>

Exactly the case with these two, if you read the article you'll see that the church actually condemns fanaticism such as that, these two wacko's took Ellen G. White's teaching and turned it all upside down, she wrote some excellent stuff, but on the nutrition side there are some questionable issues, such as eating only twice a day (only works for couch potatoes) and total veganism (bad news if you don't replenish the vit b12, as was teh case with thhis poor little guy).

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">It's one thing for adults to do stuff like this, even though being vegan isn't &quot;natural&quot; but totally another thing to force your kids to do it.</div>

Exactly, but even for adults, one would expect them to research thigs and not go blindly into something. I'm sure our friend fruitarian knows where to get what is body needs, he surely does not look like he's lacking much...really.

Back