Vertical Leap

• Thread starter imported_da1andonlychacha
  • Start date
I

imported_da1andonlychacha

does anyone know of any programs designed to increase vertical leap for athletes? Im trying to get a few inches higher, but more than that, my next door neighbor is shooting for D1 bball and a few inches on his jump could significantly increase his game.

Cleans as well should help. But let me say, a few inches on his vertical will not significantly increase anyones game.

if it lets him dunk at the beginning of his 10th grade year it will......

Perhaps this is too simplistic. But Air Alet isn't HJST (High Jump Specific Training!)

You could try this simple programme. Every day, perform a few sets of

calf jumps (simply jump as high as possible from a straight leg position, lifting the ankles first)

Full jumps (take one quick step and jump as high as you can, the way you would most of the time in a bball game)

Since you want to work on explosion not endurance. Stop whenever you cant jump explosively.

This should work.

'Before you bumped it, I didn't read it, nor would I have.'

Exactly

'that's pretty crappy advice for improving your vertical jump for anyone who's beyond that of a beginner (i.e., doesn't even lift weights'

Maybe, i tried my best though.

my comp doesnt play videos
sad.gif

After reading the 'vertical jump bible', squats and deadlifts are a big factor.

My older boy did Air Alert and got decent results, as I recall.

That said, this question comes up on a lot of BBing type forums, and I think that you guys are spot on. Kids want to jump high without first establishing a strength base.

If you can squat 300-400lbs and can't jump, then it's time to work on plyos, technique and the like. For those who don't have the book that style referred to, here is an interview with Kelly Baggett. It mentions that he improved his vertical from 23" to over 42". Depending on the trainee he might emphasize different things. But about the need for a strength base, I find a small excerpt from what Kelly says to be interesting:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">

•The most explosive athletes are strong.

• The average high jumper at 6'4 165 lbs, even with legs as skinny and as long as a waterhose, will still squat in the upper 300's.

• The average national-class olympic lifter has a vertical in the high 30's and some 300 lb heavyweights even have VJs over 40 inches.

• A sprinter will VJ 40+ and squat 2.5 to 3 times their bodyweight easily.

• The average national class shotputter at 260 lbs + can broad jump 10 feet or more.

• Kobe Bryant routinely does squats with over 400 lbs + chain.
</div>

He also mentions a stat about the average linebacker prospect at the NFL combine has a vertical 6-8&quot; more than the average NBA prospect despite weighing a lot more, and attributes this to the emphasis on strength training for football players.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 03 2007,22:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Deadlifts. I know you don't believe it but there it is!
This is a LONG video, a must-see for squatters and deadlifters...and watch what happens to the guy's long jump when he's told to use his squat stance:
http://video.google.com/videopl....an+John</div>
That's an excellent video and I've watched the entire thing three times. It's helped me out on the squat. However, I don't think that leaping vertically has as much to do with the hips as the long jump. Hasn't it already been proven that guys with longer achilles tendons can usually jump much higher than average ? That tendon doesn't have much to do with your hips.

Back