Vitamin C

Techo

I recall reading something on this board some time ago about Vitamin C being not very beneficial for hypertrophy. I thought it was Bryan (sorry Bryan if I've misquoted you), but I'm not sure. Since I usually have a cup of applesauce for pre WO carbs, take a multi vitamin w/C, and eat other fruits during the day I'm a bit concerned with the impact...

I get around 1 gram a day and have been for the past 2 years. It has definately not impacted hypertrophy in any way shape or form. I kind of doubt that it has any affect whatsoever or anything to do with muscle tissue. I could be wrong though.

That's great to hear. Hopefully Bryan or someone else can confirm this... HST is really about creating the optimal environement for hypertrophy. As I see it, some factors like RBE are more important than others. Perhaps the Vitamin C issue is barely significant to impact gains. Still, it leaves me wondering.

Anti-oxidents bad for growth...hmmm...that's a new one. The only research I've ever seen or read is that anti-ox helps combat oxidation in the body - among other things. I've never heard anything negative about them.

I take 2000mg to 4000mg Vit C ED. I seem to be doing fine.

Straight from the man himself (a.k.a. Bryan):

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Antioxidants significantly reduced erk1/2 and had no effect on p38...I personally have stopped the high-dose antioxidants. It’s true that antioxidants have been shown to decrease the signal for hypertrophy. Will taking an antioxidant after training have a "significant" detrimental effect? I don't know. I'm the type that avoids anything that has been shown to reduce hypertrophy so I only take antioxidants during SD or on the second day of rest (weekend).

The original thread can be found HERE in the FAQ.

Okay, perhaps it inhibits a growth factor...but it also helps to keep one from not getting sick, and you certainly won't be inducing hypertrophy when you're puking your guts out on the couch.... :confused:

I wish I had never read this though, b/c now I am hesitant about anti-oxidants.

Yeah, I don't like the implication that we don't know if it will have a signifigant impact on hypertrophy or not. I have heard contradictory advice that says because of (here is my layman shining through) such & such, your immune response is lowered right after workouts and you should take some vitamin C to offset this to prevent yourself from getting sick.

I even recently bought some BCAA pills to help with protein uptake and take them post workout. That is what the directions say to do and they have been fortified with vitamin C. This made me believe more that vitamin C was a good thing to take after a workout, if they included it in these post workout pills. But to hear that they decrease the signal for hypertrphy is upsetting.

Upsetting indeed.

Brak

No offence guys, but its probably safe to assume that you have other areas where you should direct your attention to.

Fair enough keep an open mind but I'm sure other things are having more of an impact. Try and focus on those.

I'm sure as $hit not throwing away my vitamins.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sentricyphen @ Oct. 21 2004,10:01)]Okay, perhaps it inhibits a growth factor...but it also helps to keep one from not getting sick, and you certainly won't be inducing hypertrophy when you're puking your guts out on the couch.... :confused:
I wish I had never read this though, b/c now I am hesitant about anti-oxidants.
And how does vit C stop you getting sick?

:)

it hasnt been shown to,

however, it may slightly reduce the length of time you suffere from a sickness

Well, efficacy in prevention of illness aside, if vitamin C has been shown to inhibit hypertrophy, then why would it be included in BCAA pills that are specifically designed to maximize muscle gain. Aargh! That is what upsets me!

Brak!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brak @ Oct. 21 2004,6:55)]Well, efficacy in prevention of illness aside, if vitamin C has been shown to inhibit hypertrophy, then why would it be included in BCAA pills that are specifically designed to maximize muscle gain. Aargh! That is what upsets me!
Brak!
your assuming that a product has to be effective to be sold...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brak @ Oct. 21 2004,6:55)]Well, efficacy in prevention of illness aside, if vitamin C has been shown to inhibit hypertrophy, then why would it be included in BCAA pills that are specifically designed to maximize muscle gain. Aargh! That is what upsets me!
Brak!
cost ?
maybe :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (savagebeast @ Sep. 10 2004,5:58)]Straight from the man himself (a.k.a. Bryan):
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Antioxidants significantly reduced erk1/2 and had no effect on p38...I personally have stopped the high-dose antioxidants. It’s true that antioxidants have been shown to decrease the signal for hypertrophy. Will taking an antioxidant after training have a "significant" detrimental effect? I don't know. I'm the type that avoids anything that has been shown to reduce hypertrophy so I only take antioxidants during SD or on the second day of rest (weekend).
The original thread can be found HERE in the FAQ.
There are also other papers that state that ascorbic acid inhibits the JNKs and p38s but not the ERKs. There is so much crosstalk between those signal transduction pathways that I'd personally be hardpressed to stop taking VitC merely because I though it inhibited the ERK pathway in skeletal muscle cells. They've shown it with antioxidants other than VitC in rats but, last I checked, I'm no rat :)

If someone has another paper regarding ERK 1/2 inhibition in skeletal muscle following antioxidant exposure, I'm all ears....err, eyes :) The rat one is the only skeletal muscle article that I can find but perhaps I've beens staring at PubMed and a computer screen for too long, hehe.

Antioxidants inhibit JNK and p38 MAPK activation but not ERK 1/2 activation by angiotensin II in rat aortic smooth muscle cel

Effects of concentric and eccentric contractions on phosphorylation of MAPK(erk1/2) and MAPK(p38) in isolated rat skeletal muscle.

Back