Weak Squat

Gesar

Just a quick question.

I squat almos as much as Ican bench. about 155. But I think is too light. I should be able to do more.

Is there a way for me to get more strenght in my legs?...do you recommend another exercise? reps..etc?

Gracias in advance

Like Lance said, just keep squatting. When you are really weak in an exercise and you keep practicing it, usually you can make some really fast strength gains in a short period. At least in my experience. I could hardly do 5 dips at bodyweight a while back, now I can push out over 20 at bodyweight without stopping. So keep squatting and you should be putting up some much better numbers soon.

Only problem i have with dips and chins is that you bulk to gain the strength and muscle, but it's hard because you can do more weight on dips, but you've added more as well, so they're skimped a bit.

But like he said, i started off at like 45lb dips for 5 sounding very intimidating. Now my 5rm is 100lbs, pushing 120 during my long negatives/clustering period. While bulking i find i often can do the post-5's for the full 5 reps. When cutting it's much harder.

There is NO substitute for time spent under the bar.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Down the road, in a gym far away
A young man was heard to say,
"No matter what I do, my legs won't grow!
He tried leg extensions, leg curls, leg presses too.
Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do!
From the corner of the gym where the big guys train,
Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain,
Where the big iron rides high, and threaten lives,
Where the noise is made with big forty-fives,
A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees,
A very big man with legs like trees,
Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack,
Chalked his hands and monstrous back,
Said, "Boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten!
Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'!

I thought this was the best thread to put my question into:
My lever squats hit 560x5 the other day, and they have in the past equated to 20% more than freeweight. Wanting to try free squatting again, I wound up with some squat stands and tried today, doing 135x10, 225x10, 275x5, and repeated 275x5, stopping there because of 1.) It's an unpracticed exersize (been about 2 years) and 2.) My ROM started to get a little higher than ATG.
Of course I don't want to fall into the trap of losing range by increasing weights too soon, but I have the basic strength to come up pretty quick in these. I intend to try some rehab work to get that bottom worked out, so do you guys think I should either
A.) walk in there at different times and just squat down with 135 on and stay in the bottom, stretching everything, or
B.) using that light weight and just do short ROM's at the bottom, say 1/4 bottom squats, or, both?
My hips feel really tight down there even though I do sumo deads and semi-wide ATG lever squats.

think about strengthening hips, lower back , glutes and abdominal are as well

big contirbutors to the squat

depending on squat style different muscular contributes more or less the movement

thanks
Coach Hale
www.maxcondition.com

After seeing and participating with the Dan John video I think there's just one way to squat. I've started doing some bottom squats, and I feel like sci was right; it's helping both strength and flexibility down there. I mean, I'm feeling it right away. The Dan John techniques are helping me get into a better position, deeper and tighter.

Quad,

Any link(s) to the Dan John techniques for squatting? If it is similar to Rippletoe's analysis of the deadlift, it will be as helpful as you say it is.

Here I was avidly rushing to the thread after seeing Steve replying...hoping for some sage advice from the giant gorillas gym floor...and all he did was beat me to a link.
sad.gif

Back