Weight Belt

soflsun

Just wondering if it is OK to wear a weight belt during squats, deads, standing military or push presses. I find that I feel more stable and comfortable, but is that cheating? I don't want to neglect stabilizer muscles or deny myself a proper workout. It also feels great at the end when I take the sucker off and my fat is released from bondage.

I can handle more weight when I wear the belt, but I'm not sure if it is a mental thing or not.

IMHO, I feel that NOT wearing a belt is just asking for lower back issues. So, from my perspective, it's not a performance-enhancing piece of equipment, but rather an injury-preventing one.

I personally don't wear a belt. Don't know if that's good or bad... but, I'm not all that strong; so my opinion could very well change as I advance.

It's perfectly OK to wear one.

I used to wear a belt but now prefer not to, even for my heaviest lifting. I feel I get a better core workout without one. I also don't like to think that I need a crutch to lift something heavy, even if it is just a state of mind.

If you are going to wear one make sure that it is of a consistent width and not one of those fat-at-the-back-and-skinny-at-the-front type belts.

This question has been asked several times before so a search should throw up some more answers.

(This would be better placed in the General Training section.)

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 18 2007,15:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I used to wear a belt but now prefer not to, even for my heaviest lifting. I feel I get a better core workout without one.</div>
I think it depends on where you are in your lifting schedule. If you're rolling along through the 15's or the 10's (or whatever your equivalent may be), I see no need for a belt. In fact I suspect it would hamper the development of your core muscles somewhat.

On the other hand, if you are approaching the high end of your 5's, or are actively seeking a personal best, perhaps that might be a good time to add a belt for safety and assistance.

As a personal example, I was doing 40 squats and 40 deads 3X/week without using a belt, but now that I am working towards personal bests in both squats and deads, I broke out the trusty lifting belt. It may not bring about the end of the world as we know it, but I prefer to use a belt when the weights start getting heavy.

If you want to wear a belt, go ahead. It won't matter. As long as you don't have some kind of weakness, not wearing a belt should be fine too.

I don't use a belt. Ever. Mostly because I don't have one, but I haven't ever really found a need for one either... I've deadlifting 455, rack pulled 600 with no problems. That leads me to believe that you should be able to go up to those weights at the very least without really needing a belt. But if you use one, then that's fine too.

Can someone please tell me how a belt used for your heavier lifting somehow suddenly makes it safer? I'm not talking about powerlifting folks who lift with knee wraps, lifting suits and other garb to help them lift heavier loads but just a typical amateur lifter, like me and a lot of the folks here.

I often see a gym rat putting on a belt before squatting or deadlifting without any real idea why they are wearing it. It's just something that they do when they lift something 'heavy' because they think it supports their back but they do it up so tightly that they prevent its most effective use. And then they have poor form anyway!

If you are going to use a belt you should read up on how to use it effectively. Firstly, it should be of an even width (and thickness) all along its length - not one of those padded-at-the-back ones or one that tapers at the ends. It shouldn't be done up really tightly. It should allow you to take a good 'belly' breath where your diaphragm pushes down and your torso then presses into the belt. You are effectively creating a barrel like support structure with your core, balancing the forces along your abdominals and your spinal erectors. The belt gives you something to push against as you tighten all the muscles in your core.

So, in answering my own question, I'm suggesting that wearing a belt doesn't really make lifting a heavy load safer if you already have good core strength and good form but it does offer an aid in supporting a tightened core (a bit like a brass hoop around the centre of a barrel). If that's how you like it then that's fine but don't think it is somehow going to allow you to lift heavier loads in greater safety if you have a weak core or poor form.

I agree with all except for the tightening statements.
I've gone from a &quot;bad&quot; back to doing deads and squats without the belt, but when I get up into the big stuff I may put it back on.
But that is a different arena/ different concept.
I go beltless to develop the core for lifting on it's own. Wearing a belt may make you feel like you're lifting more, or a lot safer, but if you graduate with a belt, you will NEED a belt.
I'll use the belt when I feel that there is a danger to my back simply due to the multiplicated leverage of a 350+ lb. load on my shoulders, at the lower back. But from what I've learned from PL's, it is to be tightened TIGHT if you're lowfat, less so if your gut needs some room, but as mentioned, you should be able to push the abdomen out against the belt, compressing the midsection against the spine.
If the spine isn't the target of support, you may as well leave the belt in the corner.

Unless you just like to walk around the gym with your chest and arms out lookin' all bad and stuff.

<div>
(quadancer @ Oct. 19 2007,15:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Unless you just like to walk around the gym with your chest and arms out lookin' all bad and stuff.</div>
that's good stuff!

So it's like a full-body cock ring then?

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I need to read up on proper use, and mine tapers slightly toward the buckle. Even when it is tight I am able to press my stomach out against it, probably because it's a cheap material one that stretches as I workout. Maybe I'll alternate just to make sure I'm not getting weak in the core.

Back