Weight gain

Dvst8or

What is the ideal amount of weight one should gain from week to week?

Last week I gained a total of 7 pounds and a cumulative weight gain of 14 lbs over the last 3 weeks. Being a hard gainer in the past this is a little shocking and scarey. Is this too much, should I lower my calorie intake?

Thanks,
Brian

1 to 2 pounds per week is a good target for weight gain. Any more than that and you are most likely putting on more BF than LBM.

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 23 2007,09:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">There are no hardgainers.</div>
LOL, okay sorry. I'm an ectomorph...there is that better.
biggrin.gif

Since October 2006 I've gone from 220 (roughly) to my current 250 , thats 30 lbs. spread over 9 months. I started @ around 15-20% BF and am probably 13-18% currently, I think @ 5'11&quot; I carry it well (comments are always on traps , shoulders, pecs and back never bf). I grew(am growing) in &quot;spurts&quot; instead of steady lbs. per week. For instance I sat @ 240 for almost 2 months while muscles were getting bigger the whole time. I got sick of eating the copious amounts of daily calories that I eat and ate very little for about a week(and by very little I mean 2 light meals a day), when my &quot;break&quot; was over I put on the next 10 lbs. within the next 6 weeks. This is typical for me - hitting a weight and staying there a few months even though muscle growth is obviously happening( yes, I believe I lose fat and gain muscle &quot;simutaneously&quot;- how else can I explain this?). I'll get sick of overeating about every two months or so eat very little for 4-7 days , and then when I begin eating big again - 5-10 lbs comes within a month or so , I stay there for around 2 months and the process repeats.

I didn't do this purposely or knowledgably , its just how it's been going for me. My experience seems to go with the calorie cycling school of thought regarding bulking , but like I said it's just kind of how it naturally worked out for me - I didn't follow any program or idea .

I plan on &quot;rolling with nature&quot; till 260-265 and then maybe trying to cut to around 10%bf (depending on effects on strength- my first priority). Hope this helps in some way...
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">( yes, I believe I lose fat and gain muscle &quot;simutaneously&quot;- how else can I explain this?)</div>
Ooooh, are YOU gonna start a $#!tstorm up in here!
laugh.gif

Congrats on the mass and strength, my eye-level friend! You definitely got it goin' on!

I weigh ~165 lbs and I am consuming 2200-2300 calories per day. With 20% protein, 45% carbs, 35% fats. I am doing light cardio maybe two times per week.

Should I lower my calorie intake, do more cardio, lower my carbs? Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

Your caloric intake seems just fine. What % bodyfat are you at? With that known, I can give you several estimates on your TDEE.

I honestly don't know my bodyfat (never had it measured)  If I had to guess I would say between 13-18%.  But I really couldn't tell you.  I attached a few photos I took before the weight gain at ~150 lbs.

I think your BF estimate is accurate , I wouldn't cut total calories right away , You've still got plenty of frame to &quot;muscle up&quot; , I'd try the following first, - you've got plenty of room to manipulate carbs and see how responsive to that you may be. In tandem with that , adding a cardio day and seeing if the CNS handles the additional stress ok would most likely be enough to tip the balance towards some fat loss.

Different bodies seem to react differently to carb/fat/protien ratios , IMHO going a little higher on protien and a little lower on carbs  would be wise place to start.

Is your W/O posted anywhere, another thread perhaps?

I would pin you at 12% max since you have upper abs peaking through. Given that estimate, your BMR should stand around 2000 calories. Considering your daily workout may bring in about 500 calories of expended energy/day, then you will need 2500 calories to maintain, so 2250 calories looks like it is not enough. This is just a pure estimate though as I took 500 out of the air.

<div>
(RUSS @ Jun. 25 2007,10:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">             Is your W/O posted anywhere, another thread perhaps?</div>
No its not posted anywhere else.

Right now I am doing vanilla HST (2 sets for everything), and this is my first cycle. I am on the second week of tens right now.

Workout 1
Deads
Pullups
Dips
Overhead press
And then isolation (bi's, tri's, calfs)

Workout 2
Squats
Bentover row
Incline bench
Overhead press
Isolation (bi's, tri's, calves)

I alternate wokout 1 and 2 and I am usually only doing one set of the isolations depending on how I am feeling.

That's almost exactly the same as my workout!!!! Are you doing any specific pre and post workout nutrition regimine? For cardio, stick with the light cardio on your first and second off day, then try some brief high intesity cardio (wind sprints?) on your third off day.

<div>
(etothepii @ Jun. 26 2007,09:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's almost exactly the same as my workout!!!! Are you doing any specific pre and post workout nutrition regimine? For cardio, stick with the light cardio on your first and second off day, then try some brief high intesity cardio (wind sprints?) on your third off day.</div>
Pre workout nutrition is Amino acids, Protein shake and post is Amino Acids, Protein shake, and simple carbs (usually a banana).

Brian

why is 1-2lbs muscle gain a week the most optimal??? why not more? ;)
the other week i only gained about 0.2kg (about 0.44lbs), and to me that was ummm, not great haha! some weeks i've gained a kilo, others .8kg, it varies. at what point should i increase my calories? like, what weight gain should i be getting when i increase calories?
and yeah, i'm not too sure if what i gained was fat or muscle, i have gained a bit of fat but yeah.

thanks!!!
smile.gif

edit: also, regarding cutting, what bf% should one start cutting at? i'm currently at aboooout 15-16% bf.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">why is 1-2lbs muscle gain a week the most optimal??? why not more? ;)</div> At a pound a week you're gaining some fat with the muscle. Over that, and the percentage increases and you are making a fat mess you're going to have to get rid of. Muscles can only grow just so fast, but fat can be put on overnight.
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">regarding cutting, what bf% should one start cutting at?</div> Unless you're in competition, look in the mirror. If you don't like what you see, cut. It also depends on your goals. No use going to 22% if your goal is to look like a MF model. If your goal is a powerlifter, most people won't get super strong at 12%...unless you're a freak like Slapshot...
biggrin.gif

ah ok yeah thanks man! do u have any links/studies i could check out regarding weight gain (specifically ones that state 1-2lbs is optimal?)? not that i don't trust you ;) lol

ah ok, well i don't LOOK fat hey, apart from my stomach bulging (which i'm pretty sure is from eating heaps and drinking heeeaps of water, cos it's not fat!), there's more fat than there ever has been, but i'm not unhappy with it i guess. i'll see what i look like at the end of this cycle in 3 weeks hey!

thanks again!

Back