Weights, cardio and stuff log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Jester, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Starting from yesterday:

Doing 5x5 just for maintenance atm but going to be increasing the weight for chins, BW ~ 115kg ~ 15%. I like 5s for DB shoulder press, slightly below 5RM and 15RM bicep curls too. I'm not following the 5x5 protocol as strictly as I should. Just gradually adding weight across the sets (

20/9/12

5x5:
    Chins w/palms facing: BW +7.5kg
    Dips: BW + 5kg

Shoulder DB: 3x5RM, 30kg + handle
    DB Bicep curls: 20kg 2x15 - probably not quite my 15RM, I think I could get more like 18 to be precise, maybe I should push it to 22.5

21/9/12
    Single leg squats, 5x5 - BW for now
    Plyometrics: Jumping squats 3x12

500m freestyle - painful

Boxing two sessions p/week

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

22/9/12

Palms facing chins 5x5: BW +7.5
    Dips 5x5: BW +5

Dumbbell shoulder press: 2x5 - 30kg
    Bicep dumbbell: 2x15 20kg
    Underhand grip dumbbell row: 1x15 - 30kg

-------------------------------------------

24/9/12

Palms facing chins 25 reps clustered: BW +7.5
    Dips 5x5: BW +5

Dumbbell shoulder press: 2x5 - 30kg
    Bicep dumbbell: 2x15 20kg
    Underhand grip dumbbell row: 1x15 - 30kg

I think I'll be going to 10kg and 7.5kg for tomorrow. If I can be assed, will get to the pool tonight. Torque training at some stage.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Just did 24 clustered reps w/BW +10kg and a short weighted stretch in chin position. I can't explain why but although the reps were 'harder', my lats feels barely used at all. I tried a different way of attaching the extra weight and put 2x 5kg plates in a backpack That might be why? Maybe it's because I'm back to clustering and that technique generally leaves one less 'sore' than specific set--rep routines.

5x5 dips bw + 10kg

Shoulder DB 2x5 - 30kg

Curls DB 1x15 - 20kg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  4. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Do you typically feel your lats after chins? I can't feel them when I cluster or do lower reps on them hardly ever, only if I do higher reps or if I do wide grip pullups instead. How well do you think chins are hitting your lats?

You're probably right though, most likely due to the clustering.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I was feeling them a lot at 5x5 w/the 7.5, but the sets were getting done (it was time to up the weight). I definitely feel them with the wide-grip chins, but that hits everything. Atm the handle I have is close-grip palms facing, which I'm a fan of because I think the stretch is greater on the lats at the lowest point for close grip (it certainly feels that way).

It's probably just clustering, just felt strange because the reps were 'harder' (ala heavier weight) but I didn't feel it so much.

6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

An hour of badminton today and some arms plyometric work ... badminton may as well qualify as plyometrics, it's lots of explosive legs work, short 5m sprints back and forth, back and forth all match long.

7. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Am tempted to jump up to +20kg for chins tomorrow and just cluster until I get ~25 reps done. It feels/sounds like cheating, but wtf, I love lifting heavier than not ... and clustering basically is cheating anyway :)

8. You should try to begin the concentric movement by pulling your shoulders back and down first and then bending the arms. That way you make sure you use your lats and not just your arms to pull yourself up. I think the lower part of the movement/first half until upper arms are horizontal is the essential one for the lats, including the stretch at the bottom.

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Definitely, I don't have a technique problem - it's just that lats don't 'feel' it the way your pecs do on a bench or dips. Similarly, my delts don't 'feel' the workout right after presses.

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Clustered 25 chins, @ BW + 15kgs, CG palms facing

Dips 5x5: BW + 10kgs

DB Rows 1x15 30kg, 1minute loaded stretch w/same weight each side

DB Press 2x5 20kg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
  11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Clusterd 26 chins, @ BW +15kgs CG palms facing

Dips 5x5, @ BW + 10kgs

Freestyle 500m, 10x50m laps

5 Mei-curls

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  12. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Clustered 25 chins, @ BW + 15kgs, CG palms facing each other. These are starting to feel a little easier and as though I'm able to 'isolate' the lats and mid-lower traps during the action, which is good. Was a little worried I jumped up a bit quickly but so far so good. Might move to 30 reps soon.

Dips 5x5, BW + 10kg - think it's time to go to 15kg

Freestyle swim 600m

DB Shoulder press 2x5 - 30kg

DB Row 2x15 - 30kg, 30kg loaded stretch each side 60 seconds

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Plyometric band work: 100 punches per arm, coupled with torque movement at the hips

14. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Are you doing the punches just for fun or is it for some other reason?

I thought about doing something similar back when I was really into kung fu and everything. Does it help?

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

It's part of my actual boxing training but I don't write about the sparring and shadow work here because there's essentially 0 non-aerobic benefit to it (and certainly nothing for hypertrophy unless you count a miild 'metabolic' effect that's probably less than doing the 15s).

I've found that the plyometric upper body work has helped tremendously with my Dips and DB Presses, strength-wise. My last day of 10kg Dips felt like I BW Dips and I nearly dropped my Shoulder Press DB on Tuesday because I was surprised it was so light.

I'm also punching a helluva faster which is nice for my training :)

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

24 clustered chins, CG palms facing, BW + 15kg - training at this weight every other day is starting to be a bitch. If there's any issues w/recovery then the last rep for each cluster is dangerously close to concentric failure. Maybe I'll go to 10kg and just chillax at that weight for a while, work on form etc. Also, for some reason, 15kg is easier using a 15kg plate rather than a 10+5 ... I know, right?

Dips 5x5, BW + 15kgs - really REALLY easy

Freestyle swim 900m - was feeling that 1000m was going to happen and then I get asked to switch out of the lane because random squad training session is going to start, MOFOs ... and there were too many ppl in the next available lane so thought, eff it, next time. I do my laps with ~1-2min break in between, it gives an effect closer to interval training/low load, high rep weight training, as opposed to pure cardio. I also use a floatation device between the legs to isolate the upper body (or am doing so currently for most laps anyway).

5 Mei Curls - BW

DB Shoulder Press 2x5 - 30kg

~45second weighted stretched using 30kg, for lats in extended DB Row position

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  17. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

25 clustered chins, CG palms facing, BW + 15kg - found a new position for the 15kg, much smoother and easier now, won't need to drop to 10kg

Dips 5x5 BW + 15kg

~45second weighted stretched using 30kg, for lats in extended DB Row position

Skipped a couple of things due to packed day at a wedding.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
  18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

24 clustered chins, CG palms facing, BW - 15kg - since repositioning the weight, they feel infinitely easier. I think I'll push 20kg next week for 20 clustered reps then go up to 25 reps etc. I'm long-term cutting atm, aiming for ~0.5-1kg loss per week, (or more like 3-4kg loss per month) so I'm sure at some point I'll start feeling the strength loss but for now I imagine that by BW-loss and added on weight are probably cancelling each other out somewhat.

Dips 5x5 BW + 15kgs

DB Shoulder Press 2x5 -30kg

80 jabs, crosses - band punches

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

3x5 one-legged squats (each leg), BW only, done explosively

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Kicked ass on chins today, not sure why, illusions of grandeur maybe.

18 clustered, CG Palms facing @ BW + 20kg, loaded stretch w/a few pulses afterwards

1,000m freestyle swim ... booyah

2x5 DB Shoulder Press - 30kg

5 Mei Curls, BW

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012