Westside/Maxstim Hybrid

Totentanz

Super Moderator
Staff member
This routine is compliments of xahrx. I got the spreadsheet from him. It looks very interesting, so... I'm sticking to this for 10-12 weeks.

I did swap a few exercises from the ones he had, but other than that, I am going by his layout. The changes I made were good mornings instead of ham curls and then leg extensions instead of lunges. This was just a matter of personal preference.
This will be the first time in quite a while that I've done more than just deadlifts for my legs... and the first time in probably a couple years that I've done any sort of calf work, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Weeks will be layed out as Sunday/Monday then one day off, then Wednesday/Thursday, then two days off, then back to Sunday again. I will be sticking to this unless work gets in the way or I find I can't handle it, in which case I might bring in more days off. Maybe got to a 8 or 10 day week instead of seven.
We'll see.

Today was Day 1, DE Chest Back / ME Legs

Bench 20x2x80 lbs
Row 20x2x90 lbs

These were both very easily, obviously. I focused on explosiveness, speed and keeping proper form throughout.

Next...
Deadlifts (with straps) 3x8x265 lbs

These really sucked. I used the straps mainly to familiarize myself with how to use them. Anyway, clearly I've been doing too many singles with deadlifts and not enough "higher rep" work with them, because I came very close to puking during the last two sets.

Calf Raises 3x8x220 lbs
Leg Ext 3x8x135 lbs

Calf Raises and Leg Exts were both very easy. Maybe I was having an off day when I tested my maxes. Might have to adjust later on.

Deadlifts (no straps) 3x3x310 lbs

Strangely, these were actually really easy. I was expecting to be fatigued from the near-puking deads I had done a bit earlier. No. I've also determined that lifting without strap, with a mixed grip, seems easier to me. That might be because I am new to straps, who knows.

Calf Raises 3x3x255 lbs
Leg Ext 3x3x155 lbs

Both were very easy again. So... I'll see what happens next week and adjust if need be.

After that, I felt a bit incomplete, so I decided to do more deadlifting. I actually had the camera out and decided to take some video. I'm having some trouble getting my capture device to work though. If I get it working soon, I might post the footage.

Deadlifts
1x315 lbs - flew up with ease
1x385 lbs - felt a little bit heavy
1x435 lbs - it was pretty hard

At this point, my bar BROKE.

Okay, WTF. I have the broken bar on video. One of the ends that holds the weights cracked and slid down into the middle of the bar. It is supposedly a 1000 lb test bar. I had 435 on it, and it broke? I'm going to see about taking it back to where I bought it, but probably not.
Strangely, the other bar I have, which I got free from the bro I bought my rack from, is standing up to the abuse just fine. And it's an old bar, you can tell. It is brown, there is no chrome color left at all. From what the guy, a former powerlifter, told me, he had used it for years. So...

After that, I did some rack pulls, but they didn't go too well.

Rack Pulls
1x455 lbs
1x505 lbs
0x555 lbs - I thought I may as well try it, but it just wasn't happening. Oh well.
1x525 lbs - This sucked, so I knew I was done.

Clearly, all the singles, doubles and triples I've been doing over the past few months has helped me regain and surpass my former strength in deadlifts, but has done nothing really for my work capacity. 3x8 on the deadlifts just sucked. I kept my protein down solely through strength of will. But... I'm going to keep doing it, because in a few weeks, it probably won't suck so much.

Hopefully, I'll get my capture device working tonight. It is ancient. I'd like to start posting a few videos now and then. Mainly, I wanted to do some videos so I can watch my form and maybe get some critiques on it. Now, I think I might just take some periodic video footage of my progress. I'm not a huge attention whore, but still, it sounds like fun and at least then people will know I'm not full of **** regarding my supposed numbers - not that they are impressive enough to sound like I'm lying anyway. But whatever.

Tomorrow is max-stim for Chest/Back/Arms. Joy.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 01 2007,19:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I did swap a few exercises from the ones he had, but other than that, I am going by his layout.  The changes I made were good mornings instead of ham curls and then leg extensions instead of lunges.  This was just a matter of personal preference.</div>

It's kind of hilarious, as originally I had made those two swaps myself but then switched back.  I find the lunges easier on the knees and the ham curls are more challenging for me than good mornings.

Also, I don't have the sheet in front of me but I believe there is a warm up period built in where you will be lifting below your rep max until 3-4 weeks in.  I try and add that in all my templates as I expect to start some new after an SD of some kind. If the first days are shaded grey then they are the warm up days.

Yeah, they are shaded for the first four weeks, so that's why those felt so light then. I'll probably go through the whole warm up period then, since I clearly had a hard time with those first deadlifts.

I have never really done lunges, so that's why I decided against those, and ham curls are real ackward for me, probably because I'm a little fat and my stomach gets compressed too much.

I managed to get a deadlift video on my computer, ending with the broken bar sleeve. It's like 50 megs though, so I'll probably have to compress it before I attempt to get it on youtube. Although... who really has dialup still?

Tot: interesting experiment. I shall be watching this one. The experience you had doing the 8 reps deads is why I still 'enjoy' pushing myself to do deads during 15s. For the rest of the cycle it's all downhill even though it's getting heavier and more intense. I don't see the point in pushing for heavy singles at this stage though.

That sucks that your bar broke. I wondered what might happen in the event that a bar failed: was it a quick snap or did it just crack and bend slowly? I'd hate for that to happen if I was squatting.

Straps are always going to feel more awkward than no straps when the loads are light. However, they really come into their own when you are at 5RM loads and above and want to concentrate on the lifts and not your grip. You have monster grip though so they might be a waste of time for you.

Great that you're taking some vids. You really have to compress them though if you want folks to be able to watch them without waiting for the full thing to download. Also, it'll come down in size hugely, so it saves everybody's time and bandwidth: H264 is pretty darn cool for streaming; DivX is great too as are some other mpeg4 codecs. Sorry, if you know about this stuff.

I'd also recommend dropping the DE row when it gets too heavy. It's nice and adds balance when things are light. When things get heavier it's more of an injury risk.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">At this point, my bar BROKE.

Okay, WTF. I have the broken bar on video. One of the ends that holds the weights cracked and slid down into the middle of the bar. It is supposedly a 1000 lb test bar. I had 435 on it, and it broke? I'm going to see about taking it back to where I bought it, but probably not.
Strangely, the other bar I have, which I got free from the bro I bought my rack from, is standing up to the abuse just fine. And it's an old bar, you can tell. It is brown, there is no chrome color left at all. From what the guy, a former powerlifter, told me, he had used it for years. So...</div>

Ouch! Hopefully the &quot;new&quot; bar lasts!

I'll echo Lol and say that this is really interesting. If I may ask, how have you set up this cycle - as bulking, cutting, or neither? From the looks of it, you're doing a strength/powerlifting type of workout, not necessarily solely hypertrophy-specific.

I can't believe that your bar broke with 435 on it! That's awful!

Regardless, good luck with it all!

Well it was only the end of the bar that broke, the sleeve where the weights went on. So it wasn't too serious... Still pissed me off. If I can get the video compressed, you'll see what I mean. You can see on the video how the weights on that side kind of went a little lopsided when I set the bar down, which I'm sure is when the sleeve broke.

I'll pretty much definitely follow your advice, xahrx, and drop the DE deads eventually. I also probably won't max out on deads after my workout again, at least not for a while anyway. My upper traps and lower back are sore as hell today.

As for diet, well, I'm 'bulking' but not really having the time to count calories or eat enough all the time, so it's only going to be a calorie surplus on some days. There are going to be days where I am under on calories or just barely at maintenance, so... not expecting a lot of weight gain. Mostly, I just want strength at the moment. I'd like size too, but it's not the primary focus at this time.

Tonight is supposed to be max-stim for chest/back/arms, but not sure if I'm going to do it or not. I ended up having to go to work real early today, and didn't get to eat, so... kind of fatigued, but I'm going to have a go at it anyway and see how it feels. If I feel like I can do it, I'll just do it and then take tomorrow off, otherwise if I feel crappy a few reps in, I'll forget about it and do it tomorrow instead.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 01 2007,19:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">At this point, my bar BROKE.</div>
you sir, are a badass.

Okay, I went ahead and did it. It was just four exercises, 20 reps each, max-stim style, so... it was easy. I thought my rows would suck, since my lower back is real sore, so I did everything else first before attempting rows. But, then I did the rows and it was fine.

Bench 1x20x135 lbs
EZ Curls 1x20x80 lbs
Tricep Ext 1x20x60 lbs
(Pendlay) Rows 1x20x150 lbs

I think I actually feel less sore now. Probably from the increased blood flow to those areas? My upper traps are still sore as hell though. Maybe I should make the wife become a deep tissue massage therapist, so she can take care of me after my workouts. Heh.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how max stim, if done right, really does limit fatigue.  The max stim workouts are very simple and short to capitalize on that but still hopefully take advantage of the program for strength and hypertrophy, while also getting the best of West side for power and endurance.

DE Legs / ME Chest/Back

I actually did the squats yesterday, but I was too tired from having gotten up early, so I didn't do the rest of the workout. I finished it today, however.
I swapped military press for a behind the neck press. Military seems make my shoulders feel funny lately, not sure why. Behind the neck is a lot more comfortable for me.

Squats 20x2x90 lbs

Flies 3x8x35 lbs
BTN Press 3x8x105 lbs
Pulldown 3x8x165 lbs
Rack Pull 3x8x330 lbs
Shrugs 3x8x265 lbs

Everything was real smooth and easy. Rack pulls did kind of get me a little winded, I've never done them for more than singles. It was interesting. Rack pulls for some reason seem to hit my neck as well as my entire back. Not in a bad way, like an injury or anything.

Then the heavier stuff...

Flies 3x3x40 lbs
BTN Press 3x3x125 lbs
Pulldown 3x3x190 lbs
Rack Pull 3x3x385 lbs
Shrugs 3x3x315 lbs

I did some more rack pulls, just a few after that for fun. I used the straps for these, which I think might be a good idea in the future. Usually, rack pulls or heavy deads leave deep red marks on my hands that last for a few days, but my hands feel fine after tonight.

Rack Pulls
1x435 lbs
2x505 lbs

Pulldowns are getting difficult. I don't think my pulldown apparatus can handle much more weight. I'll probably just swap them out for chins or pullups soon.

Incidentally, the sports store I got my broken bar from replaced it. But... I'm not going to trust the new bar for deads, rows or rack pulls. I'll just use it for benching, overhead pressing and maybe squats. Nothing that touches the floor.

Tomorrow... max-stim for the wheels.

I was reading this article on grip training, and it mentioned DE and ME for strength...

METHOD LOAD
Maximal Effort 95-100%1RM
Dynamic Effort 55-65%1RM
Repeated Effort 75-85%1RM

Max-Stim Legs

I found out that I had messed up somehow when I entered in my squat numbers on the spreadsheet, which is why I only used 90 lbs for the DE the other day. I should have caught that earlier... anyway, I fixed it today when I saw that the sheet was only calling for me to do 150 lb squats.

All reps are done with m-time, though I was in a hurry tonight, so the rest periods probably could have been a little longer.

Squats 20x225 lbs
Good Mornings 20x135 lbs
Calf Raises 20x245 lbs

Workout went well. I feel a little more fatigue than I probably should, but again, that's due to not taking enough m-time between reps because of impatience. But, with how sore my upper body is, I was surprised at how strong I felt on all the lifts.

Tomorrow off, then since I took an extra day this week, I'll be doing DE Chest/Back and ME Legs on Sunday.

Here is the video of my deadlift, which broke the sleeve on my bar when I set the weights down. Maybe I dropped them down too hard, I don't know. Just a warning - the video is crappy quality, due to my capture device being an old one that only works with windows 95/98, so I have to use it on my kids computer instead of mine.
Also, TURN YOUR VOLUME DOWN before you play the video. I am planning to strip out the audio or something, because it is really loud. Next time I take a video, I will turn OFF my music before I lift. The Nine Inch Nails in the background is blaring, very loud. Also, you probably don't want to hear the profanity as I look at the broken sleeve.

Bar Breaking Deadlift

Obviously, my form could use a bit of work.

That is awesome. &quot;What the Fuu.....!&quot;
laugh.gif

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 06 2007,21:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm dreaming of ever pulling that one day.</div>
Heh, my current goal is to pull half of that...!

I have been feeling off the last few days, probably due to the camping trip I took this last weekend. I had to sleep on the ground and woke up covered in dirt and bug bites. I had a runny nose the whole next day and everytime I blew my nose, the snot was filled with dirt. Nice.

So anyway, I tried working out yesterday and my strength just wasn't there. I did a few deadlifts then gave up when I failed to deadlift 415 lbs.

Tonight, I decided to try to do my next workout. The first lift on the list was flies with 35 lbs. The dumbbells felt heavy as hell. I did a few reps, then said **** it. So... in order for the night not to be a total waste, I decided to do some rack pulls.

Apparently my strength returned some time into the rack pulls because I set a new PR tonight. I also caught all of it on video. I'm video taping most of my workouts now so I can watch my form afterwards. So far, it seems to be quite a benefit, as I've spotted weak points in my form with various exercises.
It is far easier to tell when you are doing something wrong when you watch it on video rather than trying to judge while you are doing it, or having someone who is less familiar with proper form watching you do it.

Rack Pulls

1x315 lbs
1x385 lbs
1x435 lbs
1x505 lbs
1x555 lbs
1x600 lbs
1x600 lbs

Power Shrugs

5x225 lbs
5x315 lbs
5x435 lbs

I still feel weird on the power shrugs. Not sure I'm going to keep doing them. I have been advised to replace regular BB shrugs with these, but... I'm still skeptical. I CAN move a lot more weight with these than with regular shrugs. So, we'll see.

Deadlifts

1x315 lbs
1x385 lbs
0x455 lbs - I guess this one would have counted, but I didn't feel like I had locked out completely. On the video, it actually looked okay.
0x455 lbs - I tried again, couldn't even get it off the ground this time

Calf Raises
8x245 lbs
5x315 lbs
10x375 lbs
8x415 lbs

I'm starting to get used to calf raises finally. They felt ackward when I first started, and as a result I could barely do any weight on them. Now I feel more comfortable. I did do 500 lbs for a couple reps, but I almost died when I nearly missed the rerack, so I'm not going to do that again for a while. I do know the safety bars can catch that much, since I use them when I rack pull... but I'd rather not try it up so high.
Also, before I go too heavy on calf raises again, I need to get my rack bolted down to the floor. I have to rent a hammer drill or rotary hammer to drill out of holes, and haven't gotten around to it yet since I moved to the new place.

Leg Extensions
5x135 lbs
5x180 lbs
5x225 lbs
10x225 lbs

I can't fit more on my leg extension apparatus. It's too short. However, I have the replacement bar that the sports store gave me. The sleeves on each end come off easily with a large hex wrench. I don't really trust that bar anyway, so I might take one of those sleeves and replace the one on the leg extension with it. I'd be able to fit a lot more plates on it then.

I might post some of the videos tomorrow, but I don't know.

Continuing...

After the workout tonight, I'm actually quite impressed with how this routine is going, even though I've only been doing it for a little over a week. All my lifts tonight were PRs and significantly above my previous ones, with the exception of deadlifts. Deadlifts, however, probably aren't best when you've just maxed on a rack pull before hand, so I'll forgive that one.
I think the higher reps on the deadlifts and rack pulls have already led to some strength gains. I hadn't really been doing much training the few weeks before I started this, since I was moving. So... I'm attributing my PRs to this routine.

Back