What do you guys think?

• Thread starter imported_dirtybirds808
  • Start date
I

imported_dirtybirds808

Today was my first workout. I found my maxes at 15 reps. This is the exercise that i am doing:

Deadlifts
Leg ext.
Incline dumbbell press
Dips
Millitary
Side laterals
Bent over rows
Pulldowns
Dumbbell curls
Skullcrushers
Shrugs
Calf raises
Abs

I will be doing this exercises MWF. What do you guys think? Am i doing too many exercises? What should i add/skip? How many exercises do you guys normally do? All i know is that i am beat up and is it normal to hate the 15 rep max day? What do you guys think? Any advice will help. Thanks.

If I were you, I'd cut some of those out for the 15s and wait to add them in until the 10s. The 15s can be pretty rough, especially if you aren't used to higher reps anymore.

Dirtybirds

I'd keep mainly the compunds and later add the isolation exercises.

Include squats with deadlifts as an alternate exercise every other workout. :confused:

Don't forget your lats, include chin ups or at least lat pulldowns
happy.gif

Fausto

He has the pulldowns in there Fausto :)

Leave these until the 10s:

DB curls
Side laterals
Skullcrushers

Your biceps will get plenty of action during any pulldown, and triceps the same with dips.

I concur with Fausto, that if you're doing 3x per week, alternate the deads&leg-extns for squats&leg-curls.

Make the Incline Press barbell until at least the 2nd week of 10s, if not until the 5s. You'll find it far easier to increment and won't zig-zag your weights at the end of 15s & start of 10s. And make them Incline FLYS during the 5s :)

Jester

Bump :confused: I did not see it! It was early in the morning, probably still half asleep
tounge.gif

Chins, then mate! Chins, there is nothing better to give you wings
laugh.gif
and it ain't redbull either
laugh.gif

Fausto

I actually prefer the Wide-grip Pulldowns to Wide Grip Chins....they 'feel' like the lats are doing more of the work for me, but I guess it's person to person.

so how about this........i take out the side laterals, curls and skulls(until doing the 10's). Then i do deadlifts and leg ext and M and F and do squats and leg curls on W. Sounds good?

Thanks for the help guys..........

Looks like a good plan to me Dirtybirds.

Have you found your maxes for 10 and 5 reps? You should find your maxes for all 3 rep ranges before you begin your HST cycle, after an appropriate SD, of course.

i will be finding my maxes for 10's on wed. and 15's on friday.

Ok so for the first 2 weeks of my 15's i will be doing deadlifts on monday and friday during the first and second week and squats on wed. for both weeks. But i have a question:

Since i will be deadlifting 4x and squatting 2x within that first 2 weeks, how high should my increments be? For example, if my squat and deadlift 15 rep max was 200lbs should i start of like this:

First week: Second Week:
Monday: Deadlift 170 Mon: deadlift 190
Wed: Squat 190 Wed: Squat 200
Fri: Deadlift 180 Frid: Deadlift 200

Should i make any changes to the increments? Start off lighter with a bigger increase? Any advice will help. Thanks.

I would start off lighter and do bigger increments. Also, I would altenate days between squats and deads so that I would do 3 of each.

good idea about the alternating days.......never thought of that. Thanks.

Dirtybirds

Looks OK to me, you are just slightly off the 10% mark for increments (DL), so one most of the time will round off things to work with straighter figures.
tounge.gif

The programme says between 5 - 10% increments so you are OK.

The alternating scheme would work something like this:

First week 2 x deads 1 x squat, 2nd week 2 x squat 1 x deads and so forth, because you are working thrice a week.

That is the basics, you are all set now.
thumbs-up.gif

The rest looks good.

Interesting enough, I have never takien off the isolation exercises during the 15's and 10's but I really se the wisdom in doing that, I am also going to follow on that,
tounge.gif

Cheers

Fausto

Back