What would happen if...

vagrant

I'm new to HST, so far I love it. 1/2 inch gains all over my body in only 3 weeks - that is of course after 3 years of working my butt off and getting nowhere on size but with good strength gains over time.

I love the basic lifts - squat, row, deadlift, bench.

Couple of questions. What would happen on my next HST cycle if I just did this:
squat
bench
deadlift
row
overhead press
chins
without all the accessory work. I know if you mess with a program too much you can tweak it in the wrong direction.

Another question on the same line - I was wondering what would happen if I did this at the end of the HST cycle - instead of doing superheavy negatives (I work out alone - this isn't the best idea without a spotter) if I just did the basic exercises in sets of 2.

like this
2x2 squat
2x2 dead
2x2 row
2x2 bench

increasing the load by my planned HST increments each workout until getting to my max on the last workout.

So it's like HST with powerlifting at the end...how does that sound.

Next question - I have so many, but I'll not try to put them all in one post.

I need to extend my HST cycle by about 4 weeks for an ummm medical reason. I continue lifting hard and heavy throughout PCT and don't want to take time off to lose my progress until that is over. The goal here is to keep gains not to backslide.

I understand that I can just extend the 5's. After the two weeks of 2's are over do I just start the 5's up again and keep adding weight in small increments like when I did them the first time? During this time do I keep doing the full body workouts or just do the basic heavy stuff 3x a week?

Thanks.

I have been thinking about HST for powerlifting.

I prefer a split -

1 legs and back
2 chest, shoulder tri

train 6 days per week

Perhaps rather than 4 weeks of 5s.do 2 weeks, and then a weeks of 3 x 3, finishing with a week or two of one set of three.

Personally I don't find it necessary to go below triples in the gym.

Maybe only one week of 15's to get out of lay off mode.

I haven't implemented it yet, so its all thought.

<div>
(mushys @ Aug. 23 2006,16:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have been thinking about HST for powerlifting.  

Perhaps rather than 4 weeks of 5s.do 2 weeks, and then a weeks of 3 x 3, finishing with a week or two of one set of three.</div>
So without going below sets of 3, how are you managing the two weeks of 2's doing negatives only?

And that seems like a good idea - weeks of 3x3, then perhaps just regular HST style 2x3 increasing weights incrementally ending on 2 weeks of doubles. I actually make good strength gains doing doubles.

I love doing heavy singles too, but only on the big lifts and then occasionally. Adding 3 1RM singles, shooting for a new PR each week at the end of a Max OT workout seemed like a good idea at the time...but it was a big lesson teacher - don't max every week.

Vagrant

Your program has the necessary basics so it will work!

We normally work with

15 x 1 / 10 x 2 / 5 x 3 setup but it is not written is stone
laugh.gif
as nothing in HST really is, it is tweakable provided you keep the basic requirements.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I understand that I can just extend the 5's.</div>

Most of us do this, however there are a few exercises that you can do negatives with alone, dips and chins by using a chair are just two examples.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">After the two weeks of 2's are over do I just start the 5's up again and keep adding weight in small increments like when I did them the first time?</div>

You just carry one with the 5's and add only what you can repeating loads is not a problem since you would be doing your 5 RM anyway!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">During this time do I keep doing the full body workouts or just do the basic heavy stuff 3x a week?</div>

Preferably the same workout, as I said you can do negatives with some of the exercises, but not with other so for those that you can't, just carry on with 5RM's.

Hope this helps
wink.gif

Yes, very helpful. Thank you.

My lifting history is brief - only 3 serious years, beginning later in life - I'm 37 now. Ahhh, if only I'd kept it up when I was younger.

I still have much to learn. I started doing HST mostly for a recovery workout since I kept getting hurt doing Max OT and getting greedy for bigger and bigger numbers, then tried powerlifting, love it but need to man up a bit more before continuing there since I'm too old and don't have the solid base or the joint support to pull the heavier weights. HST with a slight twist towards SST seems like a good way to sneak back into PL without injuring myself. So far - results good and I'm injury free for a couple of months now instead of a couple of weeks. HST has only been for the last 3 weeks though since I decided to just lift light for a while. If I've got to lift light, I may as well get some results from it.

Back