When to drink my pre workout drink?

snain

What is the appropriate time for having pre workout drink.
Say I start my HST training at 6PM. What time should I be having my pre workout drink? Right now I have it at around 4:30 pm. Is thatalright?

Yeah, 4:30 is too early. 30 minutes prior to your workout wou;d ensure you have high levels of amino acids floating around when you start training.

WOW, its a great feeling to get a reply from Bryan himself.
thumbs-up.gif

This is how my PreWork out and Post workOut Meal Looks like

Pre HST (5:15PM)  
..........................Carb...Protein...Fat     
250 ml Milk..............12.....7.5........3.75
20 gms Whey P........5.......15.........0  
15 gm Soy flour........7.5....7.5........0  
150 gms of Apple......22.....0...........0    
100 gms Banana.......23.....0...........0    
15 gms Sugar...........15.....0...........0    
Total...................84.5...30.........3.75

Post HST Shake(7
wow.gif
0PM)

............................Carb...Protein...Fat    
500 ml Milk...............24.......15.........7.5
100 gms Banana .......23.......0...........0    
10 gm Whey P...........2.5......7.5........0  
15 gm soy flour..........7.5......7.5........0  
50 gms Wheat Porridge45.......0...........0    
30 gms Sugar.............30.......0...........0
Total.....................132.....30.........7.5

So as suggested by Bryan, I will have my pre workout drink around 30-45 mins before I start my HST session.
Could anyone please evaluate my pre and post workout meals.
Thanks!
Sandeep

you dont need the soy flour. you are getting plenty of protein with the entire range of aminoacids from the whey and milk. Are you taking the soy for its phytoestrogens and preported health benefits? If so i would advise you that there is alot of controvesy over whether soy is appropriate for men (i am assuming you are a man :)

Also i dont think it is necessary to have so many carbs in your post workout shake. 1g simple carbs/kg bodyweight has been suggested by Lyle McDonald. But that is up to you. if you are not gaining too much fat then it is fine.

Remember, the aim is to have the aminoacids in your blood when they are for immedeate use when required by the muscle. Therefore, take the pre about 30mins before HST and the post IMMEDEATELY after training (dont wait till after a shower, and definately dont wait till you get home!!)

Since your preworkout meal is so big (and because of its contents), I personally, would eat it around a 1.5-1 hour prior to training as I hate the lethargy from the insulin response and it often makes me sick to eat too close to training... a protein shake alone would be better suited to 30 mins prior IMO.

i think NightOp has a point, your shake is more of a meal replacement then a protein shake, i think you are consuming about 490 calories pre and 715 calories post, and this less then 2 hours apart. if your body can handle it go ahead, but i dont think you want the excess calories to be stored as fat.
keep the pre w/o drink simple, post w/o is a different ballgame ;)

I would also lower the carb content to about 40 gr, such a huge high GI carb intake half an hour before your workout might be counterproductive. I think Bryan assumed you were talking about a mainly protein shake.

Shouldn't be a problem taking the high G.I. carbs preworkout as the insulin response is blunted by exercise. Also, the research seems to support the notion that a pre-workout shake of high GI carbs and protein is actually more important than a postworkout shake. (of high GI carbs and protein)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingProtein @ Jan. 26 2003,5:56)]Shouldn't be a problem taking the high G.I. carbs preworkout as the insulin response is blunted by exercise. Also, the research seems to support the notion that a pre-workout shake of high GI carbs and protein is actually more important than a postworkout shake. (of high GI carbs and protein)
Sure, I take most of it before my workout, but it's right before, not 30 minutes before. Maybe it makes no difference, but 30 minutes should be enough to get some pretty nice insulin spikes before you start exercising.

I did a bit more research and it just left me even more undecided. I'm starting to see restless' point of view, in that I noticed the research showed that peak insulin levels are reached anywhere from 20-45 minutes after consuming the pre-workout high carbs. Thus it does seem that the ideal time would be just a few minutes pre-workout. However, it does seem to be a tradeoff though, as the negative to this is having sub-optimal levels of glucose and amino acids in your bloodstream, at least for the beginning of the workout. So I guess the question is; Is it having a high insulin spike at the beginning of the workout a problem? Normally it is the rebound low blood-glucose levels an hour or so after a high-carb meal that lead to a feeling of fatigue, isn't this all we're trying to avoid?

To tell you the thruth I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is. I read about the evils of high GI carb intake in the few hours before workouts due to the insulin spike and consequent low blood sugar levels as well as to the serotonin raise caused by them. These days, I'm not sure about many things I used to take for granted so this one might not be so clear cut as that. The theory does make sense, but who knows? :confused:

Restless,
that thought was from older (one paper) reseach on endurance exercise, that showed a reduction in peformance from high GI carb intake before the training. Therefore being the weightlifting world the concept got repeated time and time again, to infinity and beyond. Of course, not noting the fact that the remainder of research on the same subject showed little to no difference on average, or that some people may be more effected than others. (relatively small number from memory)
The insulin thing is not worth bothering about. Carbs before, during and after training increase insulin, which aids in accellerated protein synthesis (as well as other things). All the carbs taken at any point will produce insulin, but its all good :D Carbs before, during and after training are anabolic.

ummm.. we have mixed opinions here. I will go for distributed pre workout meal. I mean I will start having it around 1 hour before I start my workout and finish it around 30 mins before. And I will have one apple 15 mins before I start HST.
Also I will get rid of soya flour and will cut 30 gms carb from my post workout meal.

Soya flour is probably the chapest protein source we can have in India. Is there any truth about Soya producing estrogens?? I have heard that vegetarian bodybuilders depend a lot on soya protein for their protein requirements. So if Soya is bad, how do veg bodybuilders get big?? :confused:

If you're going to eat a solid meal just one hour before working out ( maybe not the most optimal decision) i'd go for more complex carbs. If not you would most certainly suffer from a bit of low blood sugar by the time your workout rolled around. For all I know it doesn't matter at all. I can repeat the stuff that I've read forever, but eventually you've got to do whatever works for you. If eating an hour before lifting works, and you feel fine doing it, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Yes, avoid soy. The estrogen effects may be overstated, but that still doesn't make up for the fact that it's a vastly inferior protein to milk protein or meat protein. Soy doesn't 'produce' estrogen per se, but it does contain certain isoflavones that, if I remember correctly, bind to estrogen receptors, essentially mimicking estrogen. While this isn't going to prevent you from getting big (as evidenced by some accomplished vegetarian bodybuilders), it might ever so slightly hold you back. It's probably not a big deal, but bodybuilders generally like to optimize each and every detail they can.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (KingProtein @ Jan. 27 2003,5:08)]Yes, avoid soy. The estrogen effects may be overstated, but that still doesn't make up for the fact that it's a vastly inferior protein to milk protein or meat protein.
Actually, this comment about soy being a vastly inferior protein is what's overstated. It is sometimes argued that a given protein is superior to another because it has higher quantities of a given indispensable AA (or some combination of indispensable AAs). While this might be true if we were comparing a high-quality protein to a lower-quality protein (defined here as one that did not meet or exceed requirements), the simple fact is that all of the high-quality proteins commonly eaten by bodybuilders contain sufficient indispensable AAs to cover requirements, including soy isolate.

If you're looking at pre- and post-workout nutrition, you want to optimize more, but this is not because of protein "quality." It's more about delivery and availability. But as a general dietary supplement source of protein, soy is pretty darn good.

If soy is more readily available and affordable for you in India, go for it! In fact, an animal study found that combinations of animal (30% of total) and plant based proteins (70% of total) had a higher PER value than the animal or vegetable proteins eaten alone .

Just concentrate on getting the right macronutrient levels (carbs, proteins, fats/efa's) and your results will be just great.

Thanks edziu, I will read this article.
I was wandering if you have any idea abt this - I do not eat soya proetin isolate, I simply consume baked defattened soya flour.(I bake it on low heat on a stove). Do you think its effective to consume soya like this? Soya flour has around 50% proteins and 50% low GI carbs. I eat around 80 gms of soya flour daily.
SO can I count that equivalent to 35-40 gms of protein?
And what about soya isoflavones binding to estrogen receptors? Does that mean soya is bad for hypertrophy?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Just concentrate on getting the right macronutrient levels (carbs, proteins, fats/efa's) and your results will be just great.
I am concentrating on that. :)
I am a bit worried abt my fat intake though. We donot have flaxseed oil in Inida. We use soyabeen/mustard oil for cooking at home.
Other than that I consume around 5 gms of cod liver oil daily.
Is that sufficient? any ideas??

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you think its effective to consume soya like this?

I don't know enough to answer authoritatively. I suspect it's fine.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And what about soya isoflavones binding to estrogen receptors? Does that mean soya is bad for hypertrophy?

It's means it's not theoretically ideal. The degree of influence is probably irrelevent in practice -- drops in the glass of water. (I get a lot of soy in my diet, and I'm having a killer HST cycle. Look for results when I'm done with my negatives.) And even if it does have a very mild estrogen-like effect, that's actually beneficial to your health in some ways (if not in hypertrophy.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And what about soya isoflavones binding to estrogen receptors? Does that mean soya is bad for hypertrophy?

I take it you mean you're worried about not getting enough EFA's. . . Again, others are better qualified to chime in on alternative sources of EFA's.

like i said, the soy thing is hotly debated. very contraversial (sp?).........
some studies show benefit to women suggesting that soy isoflavones/phyto-oestrogens have an effect. Is this effect good for men also? no study!
Another view point is that the phyto-oestrogens are competetive inhibitors, binding to oestrogen receptors and inhibiting oestrogen binding!

The main problem is that all this 'research' is carried out soely with commercial interest. So 'benefits' to women have been found and are heavily publisised...benefits including cancer prevention, heart disease prevention etc.
On the flip side, potential harm is heavily publisised by supplement companies boasting the benefits of whey over every other source of protein!

Who is correct? The choice is yours!

My original point was that you have enough protein in your pre and post workout shakes coming from whey and milk. you dont need the soy in those. As for taking the soy at other times.....thats entirely up to you.

Back