Where to get Cod Liver Oil

MicroBerto

Hey y'all -- I've decided to begin supplementing with Cod Liver oil, but was wondering where the best place to get it is. Jules recommended a pill supplement, but I don't think I want to take a pill 3 times a day when I can just toss some liquid into a shake. Here's the best thing i've found so far, but let me know what you recommend:

http://www.greencanyon.com/products/p101318.htm

Thanks, -berto

Happy New Year Microberto,
I haven't ordered cod liver oil from this site but I do order my fish oil caps from them, and they have a very good price on that. it is http://www.netrition.com. You might try a comparison there.
Luck and Peace

I can only warn you that if it's not the flavored kind, it tastes absolutely horrible. And those burps will make you gag for sure... Stick with the caps.

I use a brand called Melrose (not sure if it is available outside Oz
sad.gif
) It is cold pressed, packed in dark glass vacuum sealed bottle, and does not taste very fishy at all. It is good enough to swig from the bottle.

wow.gif
5-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ Jan. 13 2003,8
wow.gif
5)]I can only warn you that if it's not the flavored kind, it tastes absolutely horrible. And those burps will make you gag for sure... Stick with the caps.
Hey, thanks! Good thing my credit card expiration date changed and it got declined... I'll buy the caps or the other stuff if I can get it in the US!

<edit> actually it looks like i'll play it safe and go with caps until i hear of something better tasting in the US, or am annoyed by caps enough to experiment! -berto

[b said:
Quote[/b] (arcturus @ Jan. 13 2003,12:59)]Happy New Year Microberto,
I haven't ordered cod liver oil from this site but I do order my fish oil caps from them, and they have a very good price on that. it is http://www.netrition.com. You might try a comparison there.
Luck and Peace
Arcturus,

Which caps do you purchase, and how much do you take per day? The ZonePerfect ones sound good because of little or no PCBs, but they want you to take 4-6 per day, which is a bottle a month. I think I'll try it for a month on 4 per day, but what do you do?

Thanks, berto

Caps are too expensive, and besides if they're in plastic containers oxidation will happen to some degree as both the caps and the bottle are permeable to air. Also, you might be taking rancid oil and you will not know it. If you decide to put up with having 20 caps a day in order to get around 2 gr of O3, at least bite one off and see if it tastes rotten, it should taste fishy but not rotten. I know this is highly subjective but I hope you get the picture.

Oh well, I already ordered some caps, but the ones that claim to be more pure (hah i bet i just got ripped! fun stuff!)... I now have a month to find out if there's any good oil in the US that I can add to my shake without making me vomit. I think the other similar thread has a good recommendation. -Berto

I hate capsules, and I get the worst fish oil burps ever from them (tastes like canned salmon, which I HATE)
Cod liver oil should be a light clear oil, which has a particular flavour, which I liken to STRONG canned tuna, which I find a little more palatable, but still horrid. But, once washed out of hte mouth with milk (very good for removing the flavour), I dont get any additional repercussions from it. YMMV

seems like i found some at vitaminshoppe, 17oz for under $15! it was available at my local branch. is this stuff good? it didn't come refrigerated though.
butbut.gif
(it says to refrigerate after opening, and has an expiration date for next year - is this enough?)

bump... double checking - so it's okay if it doesn't come refrigerated on the shelf? and is the price acceptable?

tastes great, btw
thumbs-up.gif

I get it for half that in Norway, but as far as I know that's a pretty good price in the US. It's fine stored on the shelf until you open it, then you need to put it in the fridge.

Um on my bottle it states in caps lock DO NOT REFRIGERATE. I noticed that a few days after I put it in the fridge then took it out and put it in a cool dark place as it recommended. Any idea why this is so, it's just plain Norwegian cod liver oil?

Steve

It says to keep refrigerated on my bottle. I believe the main factor that makes the oil go rancid is oxygen. Some even recommend adding water to the bottle to dispose of the air contained within.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ Feb. 07 2003,9:02)]Some even recommend adding water to the bottle to dispose of the air contained within.
btw, do you do this, blade? :D now that you've mentioned it, i'm getting paranoid myself, wanting to protect my investment. does the water, even though it sinks to the bottom, still get in the way and end up in your spoon when you pour it?

No, I don't do this. A bottle lasts me about 3 weeks, so it's not long-term storage by any stretch.

since i don't seem to be getting a response to this in the fish oil thread in the supplements forum, might as well ask it here...
tounge.gif

does the vit A and D develop toxic levels in the body if one maintains a 1TBSP/day intake of cod liver oil?

Back