Why I hate HST

FireFighter

The reasons are basically the same to be honest.

First I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has provided advise and for keeping the positive attitudes. I don't post much here but I'm always reading everyone elses.

Second, I'd like to re-thank you. Without going into great details I was in a house fire not too long ago and it got a bit hectic to say the least. I truly believe if it was not for me keeping up my physical conditioning I'd be another statistic in the fire service. Again, thank you for everyone's positive outlook here, it has helped to keep me motivated to keep hitting the gym.

Now for my hate/like.

I hate/like HST because it took me back to the basics of weight lifting.

Before I came hear and was educated I thought that the iso movements were best because you were hammering away on that one muscle for all it's worth. Now I talk to guys and they tell me about doing there 10 sets of 10 on dumbell flys and I have to try with all my might to hold back from asking them why.

I used to do the split routines and hated to do squats and deadlifts and figured that the leg extension/curl were the best because of the isolation effect. Now, I couldn't honestly answer you as to the last time I did a leg extension. I've also found a new love for the deadlift that I never had before. I also can't even bring myself to think of doing a split routine even with all of my co-workers talking about their chest day and such at the gym.

Before I found HST I also bought a great home gym with a nice pec deck and cable cross overs. Now those parts sit in my basement collecting dust. But my barbell sure gets one hell of a workout.

Sometimes I feel isolated in my little world of doing full body workouts 3 times a week but the results I see in the mirror are well worth it. Now if I can just get my kid's football coach to understand that a incline dumbell fly isn't better than a incline bench press I might feel some relief.

I've tried to explain the HST principles to people in the past but I'm always met with a deer in the headlights look. So now if someone asks I simply tell them I do 3 full body workouts a week. If they ask anymore questions I direct them here but I usually get the response of "Your not working the muscle enough to get it to grow". I don't attempt to argue anymore I agree to disagree with them.

I couldn't even guess the number of cycles I've done with HST but each of them have been positive ones.

Keep up the good work

Great post FireFighter. It's thanks to folks like you that many people's lives are saved each year so it's good to know that you have been encouraged to keep up your lifting after reading the posts here.

Sounds like you have been making some good progress so keep up the good work yourself!
smile.gif

Man, this hits home.  I just spent an hour trying to explain to a friend that you don't need to "rest" the muscle for it to recover and grow.  If I had mentioned full-body workouts on top of that, I would've wasted the whole day.

I guess I should be content living in my own little HST world  :)

Reading certain articles and member posts on typical bodybuilding sites frequently makes me chuckle or just plain cry. The last masterpiece I read was that you should remain in a bath tub filled with freezing cold water for 20 minutes to burn some extra calories. Oh man, how do I deserve such intelligence?

The HST site / forum is responsible and has intelligent members. Dummies also find their way here, but they leave after a couple of posts. That's exactly why I like this place. All answers you get here are genuine attempts to help. That's very different on other sites.

Your universal gym doesn't have to collect dust. You can use the pec fly, cables, lat pulldown, etc. via HST. Why not develop a routine based on barbell and machine?

BTW, keep up the good work with being a fire fighter!

<div>
(omega99 @ Mar. 12 2008,09:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Man, this hits home. I just spent an hour trying to explain to a friend that you don't need to &quot;rest&quot; the muscle for it to recover and grow. If I had mentioned full-body workouts on top of that, I would've wasted the whole day.

I guess I should be content living in my own little HST world :)</div>
Lol, its amazing how much time and effort you put into explaining hst to someone.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Before I found HST I also bought a great home gym with a nice pec deck and cable cross overs. Now those parts sit in my basement collecting dust. But my barbell sure gets one hell of a workout.</div>
I love to tell people that I can work every muscle in their body with 4 exersizes and just a barbell! Talk about the dumb stare syndrome...~
I want to build a crossover high pulley rig just for bicep day. There's nothing like a
double bicep curl to the ears! And for some reason, it doesn't bother my els.

Fire

Great going, glad HST saved your &quot;bacon&quot;
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now I talk to guys and they tell me about doing there 10 sets of 10 on dumbell flys and I have to try with all my might to hold back from asking them why.</div>

I just can't shut my mouth at the gym when I see that if I see the person is approacheable I give them the &quot;preach&quot; talk about iso's.

Just love it when youngsters ask you, sorry sir, what exercises was that you're doing? And why do you do it? Hell...this is a Deadlift, I do it because it hits your whole body and is as heavy as you can see, if it has impressed you then it has to be worth something, right?
laugh.gif
They laugh and say, &quot;yeah looks mean&quot;!
laugh.gif

One thing I noticed, here at the Waikato University gym, quite a few gym rats use dip belts to do either dips or pull ups (mostly...only seen a few do chin ups), but unfortunatelly some of the guys doing this have &quot;chicken legs&quot; how sad, very few ever deadlift, although I've seen some doing clean and presses or even cleans, some squats, but not one does them properly...man I have advertised Starting strength quite a bit, it just irks me to see how people squat, what a waste of time.

And...sometimes one just has to keep it to yourself...I do find some youngsters very approachable and teachable though!

By the way...I went back into the Faustonian program (I have the time now) and am sleeping easily 8 hours sometimes a little over, a rarety while in South Africa, so as a result I've put on 4 kilos in a month, and my body fat is still within 13%, so it actually went down from the nearly 15% I had a while back...I'm one happy puppy.
wink.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 14 2008,16:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">By the way...I went back into the Faustonian program (I have the time now) and am sleeping easily 8 hours sometimes a little over, a rarety while in South Africa, so as a result I've put on 4 kilos in a month, and my body fat is still within 13%, so it actually went down from the nearly 15% I had a while back...I'm one happy puppy.
wink.gif
</div>
Great job Fausto!

There is one GREAT thing about training with young guys....they keep you young and competative!

Great job on the new added muscle!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 15 2008,04:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One thing I noticed, here at the Waikato University gym, quite a few gym rats use dip belts to do either dips or pull ups (mostly...only seen a few do chin ups), but unfortunatelly some of the guys doing this have &quot;chicken legs&quot; how sad, very few ever deadlift,</div>
Is that the Waikato near Hamilton, or the Waikato on the north end of south island?

Hey, be nice! I do deadlifts and I still have &quot;chicken legs&quot;...
sad.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Mar. 15 2008,10:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey, be nice! I do deadlifts and I still have &quot;chicken legs&quot;...  
sad.gif
</div>
Yeah, me too. And I'm pretty sure they will never get very big no matter what I do. Every man on both my mom and dad's side of the family have &quot;chicken legs&quot;.

*sigh*
sad.gif

Hamilton's within the Waikato province or district, the Uni. is within and part of Hamilton city.

The chicken legged variety I'm talking about are never seen doing either squats or deadlifts, in fact I only see them doing uper body stuff, split training as always.

Hell...split training seems soooo arcaic to me now, after 6 years of HST or am I just odd?
rock.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great job Fausto!</div>

Thanks Colby! I'd better watch it, these Kiwis like to eat, for some it is a favourite past time!
laugh.gif
If I don't watch it I'll soon be in 15% + territory, easier than cutting by all means
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hell...split training seems soooo arcaic to me now, after 6 years of HST or am I just odd</div>
Such routines look weird and even dumb to me now - and I have been using the HST principles for less than a year. I couldn't do such stuff anymore. When I look at some old spreadsheets, I get the crrrrrreeepzzz.

&quot;Simplify and Win&quot; compound routines have always been my favorite.
Like quadancers' signature... <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squat, bench, chin, deadlift, dip, row. The rest is secondary.</div>
My favorite is squat, bench, row on one day and then deadlift, dip, chin on the other day.

<div>
(Fausto @ Mar. 15 2008,04:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks Colby! I'd better watch it, these Kiwis like to eat, for some it is a favourite past time!
laugh.gif
If I don't watch it I'll soon be in 15% + territory, easier than cutting by all means
laugh.gif
</div>
Hey don't go giving Colby props for my kind gestures....hehe
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
wow.gif

Back