Why slight incline bench vs flat bench in suggested work out?????

Redbull

I intend on starting my first cycle of HST next week. I noticed that in the work out description it suggests using bench with a slight incline. Is there an advantage for this vs flat bench? Second, what is slight incline.......20 degree angle, 30 degree, etc, etc???

Also, almost forgot..........after your first cycle if I am not mistaken you do "NOT" have to go back to the 15 rep cycle? Is this correct? Therefore if you finished 8 weeks, and begin your second cycle you can begin at the 10 rep cycle? Whats the reason for not going back to the 15's if you did it in the first cycle?

Is there an advantage for this vs flat bench?
Yes, builds upper pecs more, makes you look bigger as it makes your shirts hang higher. The tradeoff is a little lower weight vs what you can traditionally press using flat bench, but that matters little since the exercise is not about "how much weight" but "is it making the muscle grow".

Second, what is slight incline.......20 degree angle, 30 degree, etc, etc???
No exact figure that I know of. In some benches (like mine) there are no fine-grained angle controls. Just notches on the bar that supports the bench. I usually just use the first or second notch. The bigger the angle, the lesser the weight you can press. Find a comfortable spot and you're good.

Also, almost forgot..........after your first cycle if I am not mistaken you do "NOT" have to go back to the 15 rep cycle? Is this correct? Therefore if you finished 8 weeks, and begin your second cycle you can begin at the 10 rep cycle? Whats the reason for not going back to the 15's if you did it in the first cycle?
The 15's can be skipped if you are not feeling too much joint problems. The reason behind skipping them is that this is the cycle that contributes the least to growth, at least when you are looking at it from the context of several cycles strung together (this won't necessarily be true for new untrained lifters). The high reps / low weight combination, however, makes the 15's ideal as a "recuperative" phase aside from training phase, which is an HST method (Utilizing lactic acid as a stimulus for tendon repair/health) as stated here

Back