will HST help me?

I

imported_fiddynick

hello,
new to the board.
lookin for advice, been lurkin and seems you guys are here to
help. will try to give you the best run down i can.
Thanks in advance
..:Background:...
height:5'8
weith:160
I am new to workin out, i did do ripptoes for 3 months
then got tied up with work, missed a few workouts and ended up
stopping, and just barely going to gym.
Thing is i kept eating like i was on the workout[bulk]..
..:Goal:..
sixpack and be toned by summer!!
I do not need to be BIG, just toned&defined.
I know i do not have much to work with.
Once i meet this goal,maybe in the fall i will do a clean bulk. \
will HST help me reach this goal cut/sixpack..
..:Diet:..
cutting!!!
..:pics:..
[took today]
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

Thanks in advance
Nick

Nick

Welcome to HST.
biggrin.gif

You're certainly right we are indeed here to help.
wink.gif

Ok, to get yourself "buffed up" just read through the main HST page and try out the "vanilla program" as is, for the full 8 weeks, else search for the thread Simplify and Win and pick on e of the workouts there!

6 pack - this very much depends on your diet, adjust to 500 calories less than maintenance and carry on, mix weight training with cardio on off days and you should be there soon. I must say, by looking at the photos, you need not cut...just engage in training, I'm sure you'll pack on muscle mass by just staying on maintenance.

Rippetoe's program is good although it is centered on strength training, many of us use it either as is or mixed with HST and using the principles.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do not need to be BIG, just toned &amp; defined.</div>

Not to worry HST'll take care of that, getting BIG is a &quot;side effect&quot; of HST training and a benefic one at that
laugh.gif
he, he, he, he...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">will HST help me reach this goal cut/sixpack?</div>

Most definitely yes
biggrin.gif

thanks Fausto for the help.

i will be following the Hypertrophy-Specific Training to the &quot;T&quot;

i am currently intaking 2000 calories.
meals.

1.5eggwhites 1/2 cup oats.
2.whey shake
3.chicken breast, veggies, 1/2cup oats
4.whey shake
5.chicken breast, veggies, 1/2cup oats
6. cottage cheese, natural PB[bedtime]

hope this works, 3x15 starts 8am tomorrow...

Fid...

Make sure that 2000 calories suits yours BMR.

You should only be 300 - 500 calories under maintenance, and in your case judging from the pictures and teh fact that you have been off trining for a while, you should actually stay on maintenance or maybe even slightly above (300 or so calories).

You may find that HST will not work as well if you are cutting as it is a program designed for hypertrophy, what I mean is that you may not have the desired effects because you want to cut.

Stick to maintenance for now and do a cycle to see how you fair...do these decsions afterwards...begginers who have been off for a long while normally have good growth spurts...therefore I recommend you try it out first (a full cycle) and only cut if you find yourself &quot;balooning&quot; which I doubt will be the case!

Just being cautious!
wink.gif

hmmm... thanks
now i need to try to make up my mind.

i would like to hit my goal by summer??
i could start to eat more i suppose, but that seems as if my six pack will
be farther and farther away.[being i am not cutting then]
maybe a differnt workout plan? more designed for my goal?
or should i do a 6 week cycle and then, do a cutting program you recommend.??

Fid....

I hate to confuse people...as I recommend you to stay with maintenance and do a full cycle, then once you see the results...make your decision:

B/weight (pounds) * 12
Activity (moderate) - above result x 50%
Loss by digestion x 10% - sum of the above two results x 10%
Total (Basal Metabolic Rate - BMR) - Sum of all the above

Ok, so lets say you weigh 160 x 12 = 1920 cal
then 1920 x 50% = 960
then (1920+960) x 10% = 288
Total = 1920+960+288 = 3168 cal

Your BMR will be 3168 cal, this is then your maintenance level, normally in HST we recommend 300-500 above maintenance, which would take you to 3468 or 3668.

The best way to burn calories over and above HST is to include cardio (either steady state or HIIT) on the off days, that will enhance fat burning waaaaay better than dieting down.
wink.gif

Hope this will help for starters, if you want more info go to John Berardi's site and download the Essential Berardi E-book, it has a ton of info relating to this.

Cheers
wink.gif

Will HST help you? I don't know but I do think that with enough food, it helped me. Anything that helped me should help anyone.

Back