working the muscle fully?

style

I see comments like 'I change the exercises frequently to ensure the muscle is worked from every possible angle' and think its rubbish but how much truth is there in that statement? Lets take the triceps, say I'm doing a routine with dips and shoulder press in it, could I just do these exercises and get complete tricep development?

If I did this routine, would I ever have to change the exercises to get compete muscular development?

A

dips
narrow grip underarm row
military press
squat
straight legged deadlift
wide pronated grip pull ups
calf raise
shoulder shrug

B

incline bench
wide grip bent over row
rear lateral raises
deadlift
close grip pull ups
calf raise
leg curl

style

at 1st glance your program seems fine to hit all the maj. groups as well as the smaller ones (it does have a lot of "back" exer. though). as a base prog. it would be great but eventually i think you can benefit from variety. i dont buy into a lot of the "hit the muscle from all angles" talk you mention but i also believe there is merit to changing exer. now and again for variety as well as size/strength benefits.

there are a lot of great exer. out there that are not on your list (power cleans, push press, dumb. press, flat bench etc. etc.) wouldnt you want to try those now and again. i realize yours is a hypothetical ? about having to change exer. but you have to think about the brain muscle too. after a while this routine would be just that routine.

you could train for a marathon by running on a treadmill at the gym but i dont know many who would want too. if your really serious about only wanting to do the above mentioned program, go for it. it looks like a good one. after a few months/years you may feel differantly about not "having" to do other exercises

Back