Working with your max weights

chrisb

Hi
I'm new to HST and was just wondering if someone could clarify a few points about the final workouts in each block of six. When you come to your final workout, I understand that you will be working with the weight that was your max before you started the cycle, but all being well is no longer your max. So, in terms of number of sets for this workout, is it just a case of warmup, perform the one set with your max and then say job done and walk away, or should you attempt a second set even though you may fall short. The same question applies for the final two weeks, where I've read if you can't do negs, carry on with your 5 rep max weight. I guess I'm a bit confused about whether training to failure is an issue using HST.
Any help appreciated!
Chris

Rep maxes are always changing...sometimes up and sometimes down. There are a lot of variables. You just have to take your best guess at your max and go for it. I usually aim a tad bit light and, for instance on the 5's, I can tell after 2 reps if the weight is going to be too heavy or two light. Then I adjust my rep speed, esp on the last rep, to insure that rep 5 is the last rep I could have done without compromising form. You don't have to be afraid of failure on your last work session. Even if you only hit 4. No big deal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chrisb @ May 28 2005,11:26)]should you attempt a second set even though you may fall short.
Sure you can, even in the RM phase. If you fall short no big deal.

I thought the idea was not to adjust them. I thought that the increments decreased your max weight, and once you lifted your max again, you'd go onto to the next stage of your cycle.

Was I totally wrong? I hope not.

Thanks,
TennisDude

" I thought that the increments decreased your max weight"

I am confused by that statement. You use increments to work up to your max weight. You use SD to allow your body to continue to grow without hitting the RBE and to be able to use lower, more manageable weight.

Once you hit your max, which typically is on the 6th work session of a given rep range, you increase the weight and decrease the reps or if you are finishing the 5's, you typically add negatives, drop sets or start SD.

You can certainly adjust your weights mid cycle if you feel that you have over or under estimated your maximum weight. In fact, it makes more sense to adjust an incorrect weight than to work with the wrong amount of weight. The weight can be adjusted up or down or the tempo can be adjusted to get the maximum out of a miscalculated max if you choose not to change the amount of weight. Most people will not estimate their maxes incorrectly by more than 5% anyway so, even in the short run, it won't make much difference to your body.

Lift and enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff. Cortisol, brought on by needless stress, is your enemy, not your friend.
happy.gif

Back