workout order

faz

are you lads like me very anal about the order you go in ...ie... if you do squats then bench if the squat rack is full do you get p....d off.
mad.gif

i have actually stopped going to certain gyms because some equipment (usually squat rack) is always being used, i would prefer if i wasnt like this but i cant help it
rock.gif

i think i am slightly obssesive-compulsive i was wondering if most people that lift weights are the same
biggrin.gif

anyway i have decided i am not going to let the order i workout dictate to me so i am going to do an A.B.C. routine,

i will be training some wks 3x some wks 6x fullbody.
i will only increase the weight every wk for either A.B.C.
so for instance if my chest workout looked like this

dips...incline-bench...hammer-machine-bench.
if i go in the gym and someone is on the dip-bars then i can use the bench or hammer-machine and vica-versa for all bodyparts
i am going to start of at 80% of my 15rm and increase the weight by aprox 10% every wk so it should look like this
15s 3wks 1set
10s 3wks 2sets
5s 3wks 3 sets
3s 3wks 5 sets
so when i go 6x on a good wk i will use the same weight for 2 workouts because i am only increasing the weight every wk.
that way i can go to the gym as many times as i like and not get to anal about weights or order.
what do you boys think
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I am to a degree.

I have always for years started my routine with "CHEST".

So Now a days I try to start with something else.

I try to do different exercises to.

Kind of like you are suggesting

Monday workout A Wed. Workout B .......and etc.

But I find myself sometimes doing the same routine with same exercises if I am not careful...is habit I guess.
biggrin.gif

I always do 1)legs 2)back 3)chest 4)delts.
Lately I noticed my delts are tired when I do them at the end of my workout.  Mikeynov suggested on the max-stim forum that it may be smarter to do overhead presses before bench or other chest presses.  At first I dismissed it but today I tried at and loved it!  I was much stronger for overhead presses than normal, but lacked no strength whatsoever for wide-grip dips (my new favorite chest exercise).  After my workout I noticed I had a great pump in both my delts and pecs.  I really liked this and will continue it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKEY!
laugh.gif

I read an article once that suggested you work lagging bodyparts first (and work out your RMs for them first), so your fresh and can lift the heaviest weight possible for that bodypart, getting the best results.

So next cycle I might consider doing shoulders first, even though I'm so used to doing chest or legs first.

what do you think about the workout idea.
basicly doing A<B<C< routine when i go to the gym which might be 6x one wk, or 3x the next wk, but only increasing the weight every wk,giving aprox 12 progressions every cycle.

Tot just did a great post on a workout just like that, extending the fives for something like ten weeks, but I can't remember what thread it was in. Tot?

Like Colby, I like to get the dreaded squats up front...and for me, shrugs, since I do them really heavy. Anything else is a matter of preference or convenience for me. If a bar is allready loaded from my last workout (or someone finishing with one in your case), I use that, with only a slight load adjustment, rather than completely having to load the bar.
In the gyms I usually will look around near my last set at what's happening and sometimes you find someone finishing with something you want to use next. Just ask him/her to leave the plates on! Why work if you don't have to?

I think as long as you are progressing up in weight every workout or every 3rd workout you will make gains.

Ideally we all would like to progress upward every workout...but if it takes you two workouts I think you are okay!

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Nov. 08 2006,13:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think as long as you are progressing up in weight every workout or every 3rd workout you will make gains.

Ideally we all would like to progress upward every workout...but if it takes you two workouts I think you are okay!</div>
basicly it will be every workout on 3x wk but on 6x wk it will be same weight twice.
some weeks i might get in the gym 4 some weeks 5 times thats why i have decided to keep the weight the same for the whole week,also i think IMO RBE takes longer than one workout with the same weight even in the lower weight ranges,

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Nov. 08 2006,04:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lately I noticed my delts are tired when I do them at the end of my workout.  Mikeynov suggested on the max-stim forum that it may be smarter to do overhead presses before bench or other chest presses.  At first I dismissed it but today I tried at and loved it!  I was much stronger for overhead presses than normal, but lacked no strength whatsoever for wide-grip dips.</div>
I think that shows just how good MaxStim is for managing fatigue. I know that if I do presses before dips with regular sets then I can't manage to do quite as well in my dips.

My order is usually something like this:

Legs (Squats/deads), traps, chest, back, delts, arms, calves.

If I do dips, then back, then presses, my delts get a good rest before presses but stay nicely warmed up. That seems to work well enough for me.

By doing traps right after deads I can use the same load as I used for deads. I tried doing a shrug after each dead but it was just too much to be bothered with. So now, after a rest, I spend a few minutes shrugging and now I like shrugs again!
smile.gif

I'm doing this in my next cycle:

Squats

Bench, pull ups superset

Dead lift

Dips, rows superset

Military press

Situps

And that is it!

LOL i do it in the same order as you,but someone gave me a good tip years ago,do bis before shoulders because when you do say bb-curls holding the bar infront of you uses your front delts so you might be using less weight than you could be due to shoulder fatigue
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(JonnyH @ Nov. 09 2006,11:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So from what im reading it may be better to go barbell curls - military press - dips/bench ?</div>
no dips/bench...curls...shoulders

Yeah i was just basing that part on scientific muscle saying he experienced a strength increase when using overhead presses before dips, might be something else to try out.

But I think Sci and Mikeynov are doing Max-Stim so you might find that regular sets produce more fatigue and so the beneficial effect of hitting delts before pecs might well compromise loads for chest. Try it and see if it works for you (I mean the order, not MaxStim - although there's nothing wrong with trying that either!
biggrin.gif
)

No, it has nothing to do with max-stim. It has to do with fatiguing motor units. For Mike and I at least, doing benching or wide-grip dips, burns out the front delts enough that the overhead presses are affected, but doing overhead presses first and then benches/dips does not seem to bother performance.
My last workout was short, sweet and effective.
1) Squats
2) Chin-ups supersetted with overhead presses
3) BB Rows supersetted with wide-grip dips
Workout lasted about 40 minutes, my whole body was pumped and felt heavily worked.

Back