Workout Split Help

bosbik

Hi Guys!

Could you give me some advice on splits. I only have time from monday to thursday and saturday and sunday.

Is it ok to do a 2 day split with HST?...Can I do a 2 day split Mon-Tue then again on Wed-Thurs rest on friday then go at it again on Sat-Sun?

Thanks

You have plenty of days.

I would do this.

Monday, Wed, Friday.

Just 3 days a week

If you are wanting to do 4 days a week...Do a upper/lower upper/ lower split

But if mass gains are all you are looking for why not just go 3 days a week.

If I am reading your post right you have 6 days available to workout...you only need 3.
biggrin.gif

thanks!

my problem is I can't go MWF since I got to go to Church on fridays..got a weekly prayer meeting..plus if I go full body workout, I tend to tire out toward the end...

could you give me some further advice?

Sure ...can you go three days a week without going consecutive days.

for example monday Friday and sunday?

or any other schedule of days?

I would not do no more than 2 days back to back full body.

Tell me more what your schedule looks like?

can I do this then....

start on Sat-Sun
rest Mon-Tues
start again Wed-Thurs
rest Friday

with an split:
Day 1 : Chest, Back biceps
Day 2: Legs, Shoulders, Triceps, abs

That split is fine if you don't like full body workouts.

Another thing to consider would be dropping exercises so you can still do full body workouts - I don't know how many exercises and sets you're doing at the moment though so it might not be an option.

Cheers

Rob

well hst advocates full body so that you can work out each bodypart 3 times a week as opposed to twice with your split...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">got a weekly prayer meeting</div>

Oh...another prayer warrior
rock.gif
God Bless!
smile.gif

My opinion
rock.gif
I prefer full body, but splits are ok, just more complicated to get the progression sorted out, at the end of the day they both work I guess.

Both Joe and Rob have given you some fair opinions!

Full body seems to be the best if you get a lot of the so called experts opinion.

The majority of experts I know do full body...including Bryan....so I would say unless you are a competitive bodybuilder on anabolics stick to full body...at least for 90 percent of the year.

Full body compounds mimic everyday life...the best any routine can...meaning it is more functional to train your body as a whole.
laugh.gif

your split of Sat sunday looks fine...if you are going to change things a whole lot outside of the regular HST norm...why don't you try Chad Warerburys HFT training and apply hst principals?

just a thougth?
biggrin.gif

why not do sun,tue,thu,fullbody you will get used to it
and remember your not going to faliure so you should be ok
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Ditto what Faz said. Working your body once per week, which is what your split suggests, will not get you optimum hypertrophy.

Thats right everyone not even HST'ers are starting to advocate higher Frequency.

One muscle group a week equals 52 workouts for that muscle a year...vs 156.

Not a hard question to answer to me!
biggrin.gif

hey thanks guys!...that's alot of help...
smile.gif

I think i'll be doing what you suggest, a full body workout 3x a week..thanks!
biggrin.gif

Are you doing HST? If so, you should have plenty of time. 45 minutes to an hour max, 3 times a week - much less time consuming than most splits are.

If you have a problem with full-body, maybe you have too many exercises. Keep it to no more than four i.e., squats, bench, row, OH press.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you have a problem with full-body, maybe you have too many exercises.</div>
This is a most common problem with first time HSTers. Influenced by our previous (non HST) routines, we tend to cram our workouts with too many exercises. A few cycles later, we finally realize that there is really no need to have a million exercises for each bodypart.

So, I suggest that you try the standard full body workout 3 times a week. Pick up the best compound exercises to cover the whole body and do not worry too much about the rest. Keep in mind that the workouts tend to get longer and longer as you increase the load (especially if you try to maintain a constant number of reps throughout the entire cycle), so make sure that you don't incorporate too many exercises in your routine.

Cheers,
Dimitris

Back