would this still be considerd HST

radio

I tried the basic HST routine a year ago and thought it was an okey way to train but i sort of fell off the wagon with it. Iv been training almost 5 years now and think i maybe nearing my natural genetic limit. Iv used roids all and all the rest of it, I no longer keep the gains very long after the cycle is over so i assume im near what i can hold naturly and that is no where near where i want to be. Other than staying on roids all the time i cant see a solution to problem and i dont want to go that route. Anyway iv found i can make a little progress naturaly by doing frequent non failure periodized routines and thats what draws me back to HST. The full body workout 3 times per week appeals to me although the basic routine does not seem quite right for me personaly. So iv came up with this :

Ill be following the basic 3 times per week plan, only instead of doing 15,10,5 i was thinking of 1 week each of the following 12,10,8,6,5 then maybe the 3 rep range or negatives ect as suggested in the original. It would still be a 6 week cycle then SD only id be changing rep ranges each week as shown. The workout would be the following:

squats
stiff leg deadlifts
bench press
militery press
skull curshers or close grip bench press
bent rows
chins/pulldowns
curls
calf raises

all would get 2 sets on the 12,10,8 and id add more sets on 6,5,3 as i felt. This is just a modified form of HST I dont know if its more advanced or not than the basic. what do you guys think?

hi radio, nice to see you want to give hst a try.... but first the first........ man.... dump that stuff.... I mean the roids...... you don't need that crap (I'm sorry to call it that way but I can not find a more suitable word for it)... if you don't, someday you'll regret it..... look, the beauty of what we do and in a naturally way is that it becomes half science and half art and also it gives you like a kind of achievement to see how your body change.... without the help of the stuff... I doubt you feel any sense of achievement by using the steroids.... then it is very easy.......by using the natural way you really need to balance many variables to try to get what you want.... that makes it a challenge... a nice challenge.... that is why us.... I mean the bunch of nuts that tune this channel everyday are here.... to exchange ideas of what we can do in a natural way.... okey.... now your question.....

I see your routine well balanced.... I imagine abs is separate.... as for the rest I see the main exercises and attacking all muscle groups.... I don't see anything wrong with your scheme of reps, though I would add 1 week of 15's for joint preparation.... I see you tend to think about increasing sets as number of reps go down... that is fine, in fact, that is what I do..... so, if you start with 2 sets during your 15's you need to adjust the number of sets in an exercise in such a way that for the exercise you always do at least the same total number of reps as in your 15's.... thus,

- start with 2 x 15
- then 2 x 12 + 1 x 6 (at least)
- then  3 x 10
- then  4 x 8
- then 5 x 6
- then 6 x 5

you have 9 exercises, so for the 15's,12's and 10's you can do them in 1 day, full body each day.
For the last 3 exercises you'd better split them in 2 days.... so, you have more or less same number of sets

I see good results with this modification.... as a last note.... it is mandatory not to go to failure..... otherwise you are entering in the HIT zone.

cheers and let us know how you do... there are very good guys here who will be able to give you very useful ideas and encouragement

The only thing is id like to stick to the the fullbody 3 x per week for the full cycle. I dont want to start spliting or anything as the sets go up.

Radio: latinblast's suggestions seem good to me although I reckon during the lower rep phases 5 or 6 heavy work sets per exercise might be overkill, esp. if you are not juicing. It is also recommended that you add a higher rep work set for metabolic stress during the 5s, so don't forget to factor that into the equation too.

If you want to stick to 3 w/os a week you will more than likely need to lower the number of sets to keep your time in the gym down to an hour or so. Otherwise, as latin suggests, a split would be the best bet.

I would still do an eight week cycle rather than six by continuing for the final two weeks with your 5RM weights or perhaps use your 3RMs and cluster reps or do negs.

Be sure to SD before you start your cycle.

It'd be helpful to know your current height, weight, bodyfat % and some measurements to figure out if you really are close to your potential limit.

Im not a big guy mate, im naturaly a tiny ecto with small bones and frame. But i have overcome this somewhat over the last 5 years. Im 5ft8, 13stone, 15.5" arms. Basically i started training at 8.9 stone thats 125lbs. 14lbs = 1 stone uk measurments. so i have gained 55lbs, which is not bad considering how light i was. Im  not saying i am 100% at my limit as i think i can still make some gains but i cant see myself add alot more mass, I mean iv gave up on the big roid cycles as The gains are lost very quickly post cycle, where as the first two cycles i kept alot of the mass. Also a fair bit of that 55lbs is probably fat as i am around 15-17% just now

Great gains radio.

Try this out and see how it works for you:

max size calculator

It is not absolutely accurate as there are quite a few guys here who have surpassed the predictions made for them. I haven't gotten down to 8% bf yet so I don't know how it will pan out for me.
smile.gif

I'm sure you will still make some good gains with HST if you get all the ingredients right.

Back