Year 2000 research that HST may have been based on

HST_Rihad

I think I found it linked to in the Wikipedia entry on HST: PMID 10647555.
Single versus multiple sets in long-term recreational weightlifters.

Hass CJ, Garzarella L, de Hoyos D, Pollock ML.
Source

Center for Exercise Science, Department of Exercise and Sports Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of increasing training volume from one set to three sets on muscular strength, muscular endurance, and body composition in adult recreational weight lifters.
METHODS:

Forty-two adults (age 39.7 +/- 6.2 yr; 6.2 +/- 4.6 yr weight training experience) who had been performing one set using a nine-exercise resistance training circuit (RTC) for a minimum of 1 yr participated in this study. Subjects continued to perform one set (EX-1; N = 21) or performed three sets (EX-3; N = 21) of 8-12 repetitions to muscular failure 3 d x wk(-1) for 13 wk using RTC. One repetition maximums (1-RM) were measured for leg extension (LE), leg curl (LC), chest press (CP), overhead press (OP), and biceps curl (BC). Muscular endurance was evaluated for the CP and LE as the number of repetitions to failure using 75% of pretraining 1-RM. Body composition was estimated using the sum of seven skinfold measures.
RESULTS:

Both groups significantly improved muscular endurance and 1 RM strength (EX-1 by: 13.6% LE; 9.2% LC; 11.9% CP; 8.7% OP; 8.3% BC; and EX-3 by: 12.8% LE; 12.0% LC; 13.5% CP; 12.4% OP; 10.3% BC) (P < 0.05). Both groups significantly improved lean body mass (P < 0.05). No significant differences between groups were found for any of the test variables (P > 0.05).
CONCLUSION:

Both groups significantly improved muscular fitness and body composition as a result of the 13 wk of training. The results show that one-set programs are still effective even after a year of training and that increasing training volume over 13 wk does not lead to significantly greater improvements in fitness for adult recreational weight lifters.

So those guys weren't total n00bs!
Do you think failure training was crucial for their success?

NO, the results may have been better if they had followed the HST template. The superiority of periodization routines over limited-rep-range-to-failure routines has been documented many times since this study was done.

That being said, I can find a study that supports any theory out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I forgot the main point that caught my attention, which was suitability of doing just one set 3 times per week for sustained muscle growth. Some may think it's thanks to failure training all the time (Mentzer's HIT style?), otherwise doing 1 set wouldn't be enough.

And some may not. And guess what? Both can probably "prove" their points with peer reviewed studies.

Mentzer ran more chems and stims through his system than most pharmacists sell in a lifetime.

And in answer to your question re: failure - 'no'.

Back