Yes i have more questions =/

I

imported_dreadrok

so, im in the final week or so of my workouts the 5's/negs, and they are feeling pretty awesome. Im going to break down my day at the gym for you guys so you can see how my days there are basically structured.

1.run on treadmill for 5-7 mintues (just to get warmed up)
2.Dynamic Stretches geared towards the splits (usually 10-15 mintues)
3. WORKOUT (with the increased rest, seems to be a little longer than 1 hour)
4.PNF stretching (probably about 15-20 minutes)

so I am at the gym now for about 2 hours sometimes longer. Is this totally screwing me up by working out this long? I remember reading that long workouts should be avoided because of Testosterone decreasing past the 1 hour mark, and increased corisol levels. Im I in danger here? I dont mind spending that long in the gym as long as its not counter productive.

and on a side note, i was reading some workout article and in it it was talking about rep ranges and their effects on muscle fibers. I dont remember all the specifics but one thing stood out. It stated that fast twitch fibers can turn into slow twitch fibers, and once this happens, its impossible for them to turn back into fast twitch. Is this true? Its a scary thought thinking its possible to destroy your fast twitch fibers like that.

Thanks everyone

you are stretching for way too long and your actual workout is too long, keep it under an hour, simplify and win!

its pretty simple as is. dynamics b4 is great pre-workout. and pnf is only able to be done after a very good warmup, and a workout. so. i dont think its a simplicity issue.

<div>
(dreadrok @ Oct. 23 2008,2:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I remember reading that long workouts should be avoided because of Testosterone decreasing past the 1 hour mark, and increased corisol levels.  Im I in danger here?  

and on a side note, i was reading some workout article and in it it was talking about rep ranges and their effects on muscle fibers.  I dont remember all the specifics but one thing stood out.  It stated that fast twitch fibers can turn into slow twitch fibers, and once this happens, its impossible for them to turn back into fast twitch.  Is this true?  Its a scary thought thinking its possible to destroy your fast twitch fibers like that.

Thanks everyone</div>
Yes and no. Cortisol levels will rise when a new stress is encountered but your body will also adapt and as the stress becomes less novel cortisol will begin to normalize. Also cortisol's increase is relatively short, IE about an hour or so, PS (protein synthesis) though remains elevated for much longer so the impact cortisol really has is negligible. You can also combat the acute rise in cortisol with a good pre-workout shake containing sufficient carbs. So in essence, dont worry about it and it's mostly overly hyped misinformation.

Stop reading workout articles for one and two yes there is some truth to this but not in the context you are considering. The isoform shifts seen with a specific type of training IE endurance vs strength are vastly different and to worry about it is a waste of time.

WOW, thanks Dan. My pre workout shake is 1scoop whey and about 24grams maltodextrin. the maltodextrin is about 40 minutes before workout. so i think im doing ok. Thanks for the response, ill try to tear myself away from articles. but i do take most with a grain of salt and usually ask around here when i see one that seems a little odd.

thanks again

Dan, thanks for the info on cortisol I was under the impression it could have a much greater effect i.e. literally stop gains, not just for ~1hr.

Like Dreadrok I've always taken a carb supp pre/during workout, which I will continue to do.

<div>
(BenReffell @ Oct. 25 2008,3:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan, thanks for the info on cortisol I was under the impression it could have a much greater effect i.e. literally stop gains, not just for ~1hr.

Like Dreadrok I've always taken a carb supp pre/during workout, which I will continue to do.</div>
Cortisol has been the culprit of all evil for a while now, just like carbs.

Cortisol causes rickets, scurvy, aids, leprosy, sexual dysfunction, herpes, malaria, typhoid, lupus, red hair and oh yes, crosseyed children.
rock.gif

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Oct. 25 2008,9:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cortisol causes rickets, scurvy, aids, leprosy, sexual dysfunction, herpes, malaria, typhoid, lupus, red hair and oh yes, crosseyed children.
rock.gif
</div>
Dag, that explains a lot...!
sad.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 27 2008,10:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Dan Moore @ Oct. 25 2008,9:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Cortisol causes rickets, scurvy, aids, leprosy, sexual dysfunction, herpes, malaria, typhoid, lupus, red hair and oh yes, crosseyed children.
rock.gif
</div>
Dag, that explains a lot...!  
sad.gif
</div>
rock.gif

Back